The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ACM Awards
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 5:17 am    

A few things came to mind, one I was psyched to see how many of the bands had steel guitar players! Seems reports of the death of the instrument in modern country music are greatly exaggerated. Nearly everytime the steeler soloed, he had his own camera, which for the most part did not happen for the six-string players, funny. Whoever was backing up Leanne Rimes sounded AMAZING, one of the highlights of the evening.

If the job description for being the emcee is to be cheesy beyond belief, Reba sure fit the bill. I muted the TV whenever she was speaking, it was embarrassing!

Intonation: What in the world was up with that band Rascal Flatts? Aptly named, that's for sure, their singer was as flat as I've ever heard, also embarrassing. He even had in-ear monitors in both ears! Funny how the show seemed to only be really fantastic, (Alan Jackson, George Strait),or just totally lame, (insert name of Bon Jovi wannabe here) guess that's how it goes these days, but it sure was fun to see over- the-shoulder shots of Robbie Flint playing, right there in my living room in Brooklyn.

Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 5:45 am    

I got so busy re-arranging my sock drawer I plum forgot to watch.

Carl West

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 6:20 am    

Quote:
"Whoever was backing up Leanne Rimes sounded AMAZING"
That's Buck Reid.

Alan Kirk

Paso Robles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 6:22 am    

Reba seemed to have her Twang cranked up to 10.

------------------

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 6:29 am    

And that band "Lonestar" seems as though they grew up listening to 70's arena rock bands like Styx and Foreigner and Journey. How did they get on country radio, anyway?

Carl West

Post  Posted 22 May 2003 6:29 am    

That's because Reba has her own TV show. That's how them BIG stars are . . . . ?

Carl West

Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 6:53 am    

That's hilarious, Alan LMAO!! And thanks for the ID on Mr. Reid, Joey, fine player for sure. Lonestar the modern day Journey, Styx and Foreigner? Good God, the unholy trinity. So cheesy it boggles the mind...

David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 7:29 am    

I got a good chuckle at the end when Vince presented the entertainer of the year and called out the dixie chicks and damn near the whole crowd booed them. I also liked Reba's little dig on Natalie Maines (the thing about Penn & Teller) I only caught the last half of it. I excercised the mute button for people like Shania (speaking of intonation) and Rascal Flatts.

Carl West

Post  Posted 22 May 2003 7:35 am    

David,
For just that . . I wish I'd seen it. maybe a rerun ???

Carl West

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 8:14 am    

Ahh sawl Janee' Keener own th' Tey-veyyy!!!
Gew Jenee' Geeewwww!!!

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 9:07 am    

I felt they did a great job this year with the show, almost like watching "In Concert". Reba is my kinda gal, she does a great job and sexy too! It was cool to see the Morrell guit/steel guy getting it on. Country music seems to be doing O.K. What Vince Gill said concerning the Dixie Chicks is one of the main reasons I love the Country music community. Everyone was booing the D.C's and Vince said "You know who gets blessed when you forgive? You do".

Jesse Harris

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 10:40 am    

damn the cheesometer was off the charts, good thing they had it in vegas because thats the kind of souless plastic town that fits most of the music we saw last night, ya know like when your in Vegas walking around and you get back to your hotel room and feel like you need a shower, that's how I felt watching that show last night. Kenny Chesney GOOD GOD yall, didnt pooka shell chokers go out in '82, and the wife beater shirt was a nice touch guy, other than the fact that his music is without any redeeming quality. The whole thing was contrived, and honestly I still do not get what the dixie chicks did wrong. But whatever, I guess I just think that people should be free to have thier opinion right or wrong, personally (well i'll leave my personal beliefs out of this) And a lot of choking going on last night, the groove on shanias song was a mess for the first minute, and I think george was stuglling with those key changes. Its a sad state of affairs in many ways. The only saving grace was that there was some great steel playing that you could actually hear, other than that a big mess. Hope I don't offend anyone with this post. Like Natalie, this is just my opinion and I could be completely wrong,,,,, or not.

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 10:48 am    

I forgive you Jesse Harris, man, I feel better already!

Jesse Harris

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 10:56 am    

Cool, and I forgive myself.....ahhh that feels nice

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 3:24 pm    

Gerald-I am glad there was a lot of good steel in the show, so I am sorry that I didn't watch it. And that tells me Steel guitar is not anyway near dying. I'm glad for that....... al

Jesse Harris

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2003 11:12 am    

I did a gig last night with some of tha acts that won acm awards and some acts that played the after parties and saw the entire taping of the show, and they said it was hilarious because kenny chesney bumped into the micstand while gyrating and the mic hit the floor, but no clank was heard and the vocal was still there. loser.
I mean country musicians take pride in thier musical prowess, thats whats great about country, the fact the people are actually really good singers and players, as opposed to a lot of rock that is more style based, I mean like you could understand if the spice girls were lip syncing, but IMHO that is really weak for a country musician. Now I havent done shows like that so there might be something I don't know that makes it a necessity, but it sure seems lame to me.

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 23 May 2003 11:50 am    

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that and a little sad too.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 May 2003 12:18 pm    

Buzz Evans plays in Las Vegas. Not always
straight-up country; but always cutting edge.
Undeniably.

Granted, he's buried among the hopeless, pathetic, and ill-informed, but he's still there in Tinseltown, shooting from the hip, and giving them "his best shot".

An honorable man, among thieves.

FWIW

Derek Duplessie

La Jolla CA USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2003 6:21 pm    

I skipped right through it. I thought it was american idol. ; ) -Derek

Kevin Post

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2003 6:55 am    

I played steel with Terri Clark.

I was amazed to see all the steel guitar players on screen, as well. I'm with Pete...gew, Jenee, gew!!! (Terri's fiddle player)

Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2003 10:15 am    

Dear Kevin Post,

Right on man. I happened to tune in just as you were taking your break and it made me smile ear to ear, just to see someone picking so tastefully right there in front of God and everybody. Great playing, great tone. Go get 'em, gives the younger upstarts like me some hope!!

Gerald

Kevin Post

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2003 1:35 pm    

Thank you so much. How is the steel guitar world doing in Brooklyn?

Lawrence Lupkin

Brooklyn, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2003 5:44 pm    

It's got young (I've got to imagine younger than Gerald, but maybe that's about my ego) blood throwing their hat's in the ring. Now maybe someone will throw some loose change into the tip jar...sigh.

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 27 May 2003 10:02 pm    

Gerald,
thanks for those kind words! So many acts sang to tracks and pulling something off "live" is a good feeling. Thanks to all!!