The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who plays on all those G. Jones albums?
Brandon Housewright

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 8:04 am    

Hello Guys! This is my first post on the forum and I've been dying to get an answer to this question. Who did Billy Sherrill on all those 70's and 80's records? They pretty much sound like the same fella; but who is it? Thanks! By the way, I've read posts on here for over a year, and you guys are very helpful to me.

Franklin

Post  Posted 5 May 2003 8:45 am    

Pete Drake was George's main guy in the 70's until he retired in the early eighties. Weldon Myrick and John Hughey recorded with George during the 80's.

Jason Powers

Muncie, IN
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 8:47 am    

Hi Brandon,
Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of nice people here who are willing to answer your questions. The answer to your question is Pete Drake, who I believe was playing steel on just about everything Billy Sherrill was producing back then. George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Johnny Paycheck, Charlie Rich, David Houston, etc.

[This message was edited by Jason Powers on 05 May 2003 at 09:48 AM.]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 8:52 am    

Welcome Brandon to this Great Forum
as you can see it don't get any better than this !

Brandon Housewright

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 10:15 am    

Thanks, guys! I knew it would be like this. Everybody's so helpful. This is the greatest because I don't anyone else in this area that plays, so I can't ask questions or get any opinions...until noww. I probably shoulda got on here sooner, but I'm slow sometimes Smile. Thanks again fellas!

Charlie Vaughn

West Union, South Carolina
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 10:57 am    

Hi Brandon,
I have played in your area for frat parties at the college several times. I have also played in Savannah numerous times. I have met a couple of good steel players in Savannah but I can't remember there names. I live on the other side of the state near Atlanta.

[This message was edited by Charlie Vaughn on 05 May 2003 at 11:58 AM.]

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 1:55 pm    

Brandon, welcome to the Forum....Bunch of nuts here and several squirrels....Partial Answer to your question is a forumite by the name of "Sonny Curtis"....I know he was with the Jones Boys in the late '60's and subsequently went with Tammy W. He's one heck of a player, but his axe is wired "backwards" to most, just as mine is...Super individual. I hope he will respond to your question, because he surely knows.

Fred

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real

Sonny Curtis

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 3:00 pm    

I'll be glad to reply...I was on all of George's albums from 1964 thru 1969. I also recorded on the album titled "Heartbreak, TN. by Johnny Paycheck which included "A-11". Billy Sherrill also produced Johnny after that. George always took myself and Charlie Justice into the Studio with him, but after Sherrill starting producing, he always used studio musicians for the recordings.

When George and Tammy married, George went to Tammy's label and they were produced by Billy Sherrill. The steel player he used on the studio recordings at this time period was Pete Drake (I still played on the road with them). Weldon Myrick, John Hughey and Paul Franklin played on George's session after that. I hope this answers your question.

[This message was edited by Sonny Curtis on 05 May 2003 at 04:14 PM.]

R. L. Jones

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2003 5:35 pm    

The Album, or Video George Made in Orlando Fla. Had a Steel Player , Name Of Tom Killen

R. L.

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2003 2:48 am    

Yes, and Tom Killen is one fine fellow, and he is from the 'Bluegrass State"...Kentucky.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 May 2003 3:20 pm    

Didn't Hal Rugg also play with George? I've got an old George Jones album that Hal does a couple of instrumentals on...I think the titles were "Cuttin' A Rugg", and "Jonesy".

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 6 May 2003 3:42 pm    

I remember that Jim Vest played on at least one album - something that came out in 79 or 80 or thereabouts. Can't for the life of me remember what album though, and in 82 my record collection was depleted by about half when a moving van with all my stuff got in an accident en route to Vancouver.....

Jason Powers

Muncie, IN
Post  Posted 6 May 2003 3:51 pm    

Donny,
Yes, according to George's book "I Lived To Tell It All", Hal Rugg was once a member of the Jones Boys. The story in the book says that George Riddle went to Shot Jackson to get a recommendation about a new player because Jones needed a new steel player. Well, Shot recommended Weldon Myrick, who was new in Nashville. Well, Jones says in the book the only reason Weldon wasn't hired was because he didn't fit into the last guy's old stage uniform, so they hired Hal Rugg instead!!!
Very interesting, he was getting a great player either way!!! Jason

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 6 May 2003 7:28 pm    

Scotty Sanders played on a couple of cuts on one of George's recent recordings. Super player!

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2003 5:54 am    

Jason,

You're right that Pete Drake was Billy Sherrill's main guy to call during the 60's and '70's. But he wasn't on all of his singers records. For instance, On the mid to late '70's Paycheck recordings he used Jim Vest. Vest also played on most of Charlie Rich's records. He used Lloyd Green on D-I-V-O-R-C-E of Tammy Wynette. Another tid bit of note is, on Jones and Paycheck's recording of "Maybelene" he used Buddy Emmons. Also Jim Murphy played on some Paycheck records too.
But for the most part he used Pete.
Also don't forget that the earliest Jones recordings had Herb Remington, Bobby Garrett, then Jimmy Day, and Buddy Emmons played on Jones musicor recording of "Cold,Cold Heart". Hal also did some of the Starday recordings with Jones and I think that's what got his foot in the door of the studios here. I also read once that Leo LeBlanc replaced Hal in the band.

Mike Sweeney

Brandon Housewright

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2003 7:59 am    

Boy, oh boy! You guys are the World Book for steel players. It is so cool that Sonny Curtis answered my question himself! How cool! I can't thank you ALL enough for the insights. Where else can you go to talk to the pros? Love it, love it, love it!

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2003 10:20 am    

Thanks for asking the question, Brandon.

I just finished copying my "Golden Ring" vinyl of George & Tammy to CD. I guess I didn't play that record much because it sure was in mint condition and came out top notch on CD. Talk about a couple of unique voices.

I don't recall what year that album came out but I'm guessing it was with Billy Sherrill and Pete Drake on steel. I'll check the date when I get home.

------------------
HagFan

GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2003 4:34 pm    

Did Sonny Curtis you play the steel on the Possum's RCA recording "I Can't Get Used To Being Lonely"? Absolutely great fills and turn-around.

Thanks.