The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy/George Jones - Dancetown USA
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2003 7:57 am    

Dancetown USA, on Airline Drive in Houston's old North Side, was a large dancehall and prime venue for country music for years and years. I think Hank Williams played there too. Johnny Bush recorded a very good album of his style of western swing/Ray Price shuffle live at Dancetown in the 1970s.

J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2003 2:37 pm    

The 1960's were Dancetown USA's golden years. I remember my parents going dancing there alot. I don't think the venue was around during Hank's time.
The building and the sign out front are still there though the place is now a bingo hall. Every time I'm over in that part of town I can't resist the urge to pull off into the parking lot for a few minutes and crank up a Johnny Bush song.

J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2003 2:40 pm    

The 1960's were Dancetown USA's golden years. I remember my parents going dancing there alot. I don't think the venue was around during Hank's time.
The building and the sign out front are still there though the place is now a bingo hall. Every time I'm over in that part of town I can't resist the urge to pull off into the parking lot for a few minutes and crank up a Johnny Bush song.

J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2003 2:42 pm    

J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2003 2:53 pm    

Dancetown USA's golden era was the 1960's . I remember my parents going dancing there alot. I don't believe the place was there during Hank's day.
The building and the old sign out front are still there though the place is now a bingo hall. Every time I'm over in that part of town I can't resist the urge to pull off into the parking lot for a few minutes and crank up a Johnny Bush song.

J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2003 5:16 am    

The 1960's were the big years for Dancetown USA. I remember my parents going dancing there alot. I didn't think the place went all the way back to Hank's time.
The building and the old sign out front are still there on Airline Dr. though its now a bingo hall. Every time I"m over in that part of Houston I can't resist the urge to pull off into the parking lot for a few minutes an crank up a Johnny Bush song.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2003 5:49 am    

I feel the same way about the place.

Here's a URL with a picture of the sign:
http://community4.webshots.com/photo/16342854/21075083QSEaoLDifL

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2003 5:53 am    

Bingo . . . the sad fate of so many old Texas dance halls.

J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2003 9:55 am    

The 1960's were the big years for Dancetown USA. I remember my parents going dancing there alot. I didn't think the place went all the way back to Hank's time.
The buidling and the old sign out in front are still there on Airline Dr. though it is now a bingo hall. Everytime I'm over on that part of Houston I can't resist the urge to pull off into the parking lot for a few minutes and crank up a Johnny Bush song.

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2003 3:03 pm    

I played dance town in 1966. We backed Floyd Tillman one time, what a trip!
The other time we backed Bob Wills. That man played for four hours without a break. We were running for the bathroom when we finally took a break.He was amazing and quite an entertainer.