The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What are Steel Players "Favorite Pet"??
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 6:26 am    

As most people know I work hard at animal rescue.That is because Ohio has such outdated laws and the Dog Warden and Police will shoot your dog in your back yard.Many Steel Players love animals and I wonder if a pole would tell the world how we feel about pets. Also someone out surely has a dog or cat that 'Steels" and would be a great publicity thing on ANIMAL STARS on Animal Planet TV Show. Anyone Agree??? ED Naylor Steel Guitar Works

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 6:32 am    

Ed, my love for dogs is shown in this tribute to one of them that I wrote after her death.....

GABBY

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 23 March 2003 at 06:35 AM.]

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 6:40 am    

Rock.

Andy Zynda

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 6:58 am    

No question. God's greatest idea = the dog.
I can't imagine life without one or two.
This world would sure be a terrible place without them.
-andy-

Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 7:01 am    

------------------
Don Walters
Carter D-10, 8p/6k
Session 500 with Lemay Mod

[This message was edited by Don Walters on 23 March 2003 at 07:02 AM.]

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 7:25 am    

I have a huge St. Bernard named Boxcar, he loves to hang out in my studio and slobber on my expensive gear, but the joy I get from his presence is well worth it. The only problem, is that the frequency that reeds produce drive him nuts and make him howl. So anytime I track Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Accordian, or Harmonica, I have to put him out in the back yard. If you listen to some of my tracks, you might just here him faintly howling in the back of the mix.

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 8:26 am    

Matt- your post brought memories from several years ago. Iwas on a project in a little"basement" studio doing a Gospel album. They sang Amazing Grace accupplo and later as we were mixing down the tape, at the very last word ends you hear a "Bow Wow" in the background. I think a Tad of it was left on the recording. Ed

Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 8:40 am    

Ed, I salute you for what you do. Should be more folks like you because we don't have enough voice for animals.
I have a Lab I found at 5 months. A cat I found at the office . . Named Barn & Alf.
Wouldn't take a million fur either one.

Carl West

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 10:06 am    

I LOVE ALL KINDS of animals,Fish, and Reptillion.
BUT, My most faverite of all would be my RACOONS.
Took several on the road with me in the 80's and the bars and motels loved them as well.
VERY intresting Species to say the least.
I am looking for another "Kit" as they call them this spring to raise.
Gots LOTS and LOTS of them down here in the Woods.
They are "Gods little Monkeys of comedy"...
VERY SMART TOO.....

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 10:40 am    

Australian Shepard/Sheltie. Little ol' cow dogs are some of the coolest dogs I ever seen, if you can keep em away from the chickens.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 10:49 am    

When I married my sweetie two years ago, a cat came with the package- that little furball has brought more laughs and affection into our lives, for very little maintenance! I loved Matt's post- our cat loves to sneak into the studio and move the faders when I'm not looking. So I turn on the console automation and watch her freak out!

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com

My Band: www.sugarlandmusic.com

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 10:52 am    

We have six grown kids and have had as many dogs. We haven't had any dogs now for about 20 years but as soon as they start making one that dosen't go poo poo and wee wee i'm gonna get two.

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 23 March 2003 at 10:54 AM.]

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 11:08 am    

Old Merle, My aussie.
He looked just like "Bob the Dog" on the Eddie Murphy movie. Not only would he guard my stuff by laying on it in the back of my pickup, when it wasn't too hot, but I used to take him on stage with me, tied to the leg of the PIII ( as I had no where to "leave him" I refused to chain him up.)

Anyhow, we were playing a fair in Hillsboro OR with the still imprisoned Kenny Rogers Impersonator we backed in 88-9.

People would invariably come up and want pictures taken with "Kenny and Dolly" ( Lori Legacy=Dolly).

This time most of the young'uns came up to the stage wanting "autographs" and their picture taken with "Bob the Dog", ignoring "Kenny and Dolly". He, and I obliged.

I was told to quit bringing him.

Funny, personally, I thought he made about ten of either of them in the "great scheme of things", ( but then I tend to gravitate to the dogs in my life as much or more than the people.)

Merle in front of "our house" during my "economic strategy formation period". Circa 1988.

RIP best friend Merle 1980-1991

PS: I've always thought, and still do, that when my "ticket gets punched", notwithstanding any purgatorial duties I might have before me on my way to glory, that I'll indeed "meet and greet" all the friends and relatives there "on that beautiful shore", and after a polite period, I'll head out with my dogs...

PPSS: After having to have Merle killed because of tumors etc., (the worst day of my life, bar none) I went several months before I was able to get another. In the mean time, I had a girlfriend named Judy. After going together for a while, she understandably was impressed my by devastation at my loss of him.

At one point, she got mad and said, " You know, sometimes I think I'm just 'replacing that Dog'." I thought about it and answered, "Well, don't feel bad, he was a REALLY GOOD dog." ( I didn't have the heart to tell her that she'd neverbe able to measure up...)

------------------
Eric West

[This message was edited by Eric West on 23 March 2003 at 11:48 AM.]

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 11:08 am    

I love all kinds of animals, and especially dogs. We now have one that is the best we've ever had.

Our GOD has blessed my wife and I with a beautiful black Chow Chow, named after the president "The Woods G.W. Bush." He's a male, weighs about 70 lbs.

We've had lots of dogs and other pets but he is really special. He is like our child. He's highly intelligent, does all kinds of tricks and is super nice. We've never mistreated him and so he is very gentle and nice. If he wasn't we'd havea very difficult time handling him.

I trust him with us and our household, and know I'll never have another one like him. If he mistrusts or is suspicious of someone, I put great trust in his judgment. You can bet I'll watch them closely because believe it or not, he's always right.

I know some of you will think I'm nutts or whatever, but I'll tell you he's a gift from our GOD.

Please be kind to animals; we are stewards and they are a gift from GOD.

May GOD bless each of you!

Terry J. "Woody" Wood
I Corinthians 1:18

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 11:29 am    

We have a miniature dachshund that was born in Nashville, & we named her Melody, actually we call her, "Untrained Melody"

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 11:49 am    

A cocatiel named Steinway, he used to ride on my hands and sing along when I practised until he dropped a "bird bomb" in the changer.

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 12:31 pm    

I earlier posted about the studio episode and dog bark at end of recording. Another time in a "Basement" studio the owner told me they saw a snake outside the day before. In the middle of a 'Take" I looked in the studio and the Steel Player was taking a turn. As he was doing this the Snake crawled under his Pedal Board on out. The Steel never stopped and the Trio singing never saw it. Proves some Steel players can handle any situation and go on. Ed

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 3:44 pm    

I have seen the collective spirit of the PSG forum help out a down and out brother in steel, like Buddy Cage and that Viz guy from Jersey. And when Ed fist started posting about his efforts to help the homeless dogs of his comminity, I suggested we buck up to help him pay for food and shelter, and nobody responded.

I am willing to start the ball rolling and offer $10 to help Eds muts out.

Ed, why dont you start a new thread and tell us again about your canine crusade in a little more detail?

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 4:07 pm    

5 dogs, two that the owners were going to dump out and one stray that I picked up on the raod to keep her from getting hit. 7 cats that were going to be fed to a snake when they were kittens, so I brought them home and my wife fed them with a eye dropper and 2 cocatiels that love country music. They really seems to like Jimmy Dickens ballads the best. So do I.

------------------
Bob Myers Derby SD10 3&4
S10 Emmons p/p Nashville 400

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 4:07 pm    

ED'S MUTTS???
:cool;
I tell you, that sounds just like a movie stars' name....

Mr. Edds Mutts.....Sophisticated name for sure.

Gary Ulinskas

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 4:56 pm    

My pet is an African Grey Parrot which I have had for over 5 years. I usually have to practice with headphones, cause when I play thru the amp, the darn bird tries to sing along and just cracks me up. It is weird how she does not do that when I play the CD or the rythm track of the song I am learning, only when I play the steel portion of the music. I guess she's been listening to me, because if I make a mistake and start over she says.
"God **** it!" or even worse, "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!". I love dogs too, but my wife is alergic to their dander, so I had to settle for this bird, which is smarter than some of the people I have known.

[This message was edited by Gary Ulinskas on 23 March 2003 at 04:58 PM.]

Ed Naylor

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2003 5:50 am    

Matt- I will start a new thread on "Extended Family" I really want to thank everyone that has E-mailed, phoned, posted about the animals. I firmly beleive that Steel Players can gain lots of publicity about Steel Guitars if we show the public "Steel Guitar Players" are really caring people. If forumites will send suggestions I will try to get them some attention. How about a forum topic or maybe a website called "STEEL A PET"? Personally helping pets is more important than "Wide pedals vs Narrow pedals" etc. Ed

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2003 8:59 am    

Invariable, a bible...or a bottle.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2003 11:23 am    

Hey Donnie,

How about this...

"Then THE LORD opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, 'What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?'" Numbers 22:28

Hey GOD may still use animals to talk to some of us sometimes. Maybe some of us can't get it any other way.

We love animals but I'm not in agreement with your statement, the BIBLE and the bottle don't fit together real well.

Terry Wood
Matthew 12:36

Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2003 1:06 pm    

Dogs. Looks like steel guitar has gone to the dogs . Joe