The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What to do on a "bad steeling" day?
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 3:22 pm    

Some people have "bad hair" days. Well, I have "bad steeling" days. Every now and then (too often, actually) when I sit down to drill scales and then practice along with trax, I fumble all over the place--worse than I usually do. Maybe it's fatigue, maybe it's stress, the end of a bad day at the office, or whatever reason. But when that happens it almost seems like I should just pull off the picks and go read or watch TV instead. (And I often do.)

What do you do when your steeling just doesn't come together? Is it better to just lay it aside until the next day? Or switch to simple, less frustrating scales/drills? Or go watch a steel video? Or what? Any suggestions?

Bill, steelin' since '99 | Steel page | My music | Steelers' birthdays | Over 50?

[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 15 March 2003 at 03:47 PM.]

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 3:28 pm    

Turn on the radio, any station other than talk, and play along with whatever comes up.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 3:44 pm    

Inspiration can't be summoned at will.

If you have to play a job, cowboy-up and forge ahead regardless of how bad it sounds to you.

If it's not a job, shut everything down, walk out of the room, close the door behind you and go contemplate your navel or something for a day, a week, or however long it takes.
www.genejones.com

Terry Edwards

Florida... livin' on spongecake...
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 5:34 pm    

The worst "bad steelin' day" is still better than the best "good b@njo day"!!

------------------
Terry Edwards
Fessy D-10; Nash 1000
Martin D-21; Flatiron F-5

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 6:14 pm    

The only time I have bad steelin' days is when I play first thing in the morning because that's when my bar slides around the most. So, I wait a few minutes and then go back to the steel. I'm not stoppin' though. I'm glad I'm a steel guitarist. Brett Day, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 7:00 pm    

I do know about the bad Hair day.....when nothing is working for you Bill, pick up a Banjo and really see what it's like for nothing to work out...

------------------
My Web Page
Sierra Guitars

Sierra S-12 9&7
Peavey-2000-PX-300

David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 8:06 pm    

You're right Bill, it's probably fatigue, distractions, etc. I always do my best after a good nights sleep. Being mentally and physically rested does wonders at practice time.

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 8:40 pm    

Go Fishing!

Robbie Bossert

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 9:12 pm    

Maker's Mark... in moderation of course.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 9:36 pm    

You've got the idea. Just walk away for some time........try it again later in the day, tomorrow or next week.
Forcing the issue usually brings about more frustration and unproductive happenings.
I've walked away for a couple of weeks and come back to start over and played some of the finest single string work ever created.
Couldn't duplicate it again in this lifetime.... but it was a short lived high so it does work.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 12:31 am    

Pick something you don't know, or barely, know and do it REAL slow just get tone, and let the strings do it for you. just sit and let the notes float and kind of zen out.... eventually you will pick it up a bit... if you don't know it, you don't have the frustration of not doing it fast. Or go watch Gunsmoke reruns.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 6:01 am    

What about the guys who do not have any hair or very little at all? If you are playing a gig you have no choice but to grin and keep on going. Other than that I have found for me just to back off and try again the next day. It works the same way in sports as well. Everyone has days when their playing is really a struggle. It has been like that this week in revival for me. The good news is it usually works out pretty quick. I still rather play steel guitar regardless of what kind of day I am having...Paul

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 7:45 am    

"Maker's Mark... in moderation of course."

Very good choice Dave, I'm impressed! A few years back they produced a limited production "cream of the barrel cask strength" bourbon. The cork screw even had a wonderful aroma. Seeing I was have a bad steel week, that is about how long she lasted. Most toxicologists would suggest a "neat" approach but I would break out a 12 ounce snifter and squeeze in a fresh lime half and then add the Mark.

Gary LeeEee

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 8:17 am    

Most of the time bad steeling is because I am tired.I walk away and go at it with zest the next day.Get your rest this instrument knows when you need to go to bed.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 9:46 am    

Hair or no hair, there's some great advice above. If it's just a practice day, so what? Just don't push it. Relax and do something else.

Now, if it's on a gig you have some obligations: to your band, to the 'boss' (barowner or whatever), and, most importantly, to the people listening. Don't torture them with your frustration. Don't feel like you have to play every lick you know in every solo. If you're having problems playing eighth notes, PLAY QUARTER NOTES or even HALF NOTES. In other words, simplify your parts. Pad with more chords if you're falling all over yourself on fills. NOW FOR THE INTERESTING PART: YOU WILL PROBABLY BE THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS THE DIFFERENCE. I've had TERRIBLE nights and get compliments from fellow band members. Just smile and say, 'THANKS'.

I tend to keep my throttle somewhere in the middle the first set most every gig. By the second or third tune, I can usually tell what kind of night it's gonna be. If my fingers feel like they're full of cement, I'll drop back 10 and punt -- simple fills, simple solos. If I nail everything I go for, I'll step it up a notch.

Works fer me.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 16 March 2003 at 09:48 AM.]

John Cox

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 10:19 am    

What I do is go back to it after a while and
I find I play a little better.

David L. Donald

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 11:05 am    

So Gary Lee is that Bourbon and Steel water with lime?

Marc Friedland

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 11:29 am    

Hi Bill.
As some others may have already mentioned, if it's a must play for a gig or performance, I'll play to the best of my abilities on that particular gig, and chances are, very few, other than myself will know that's it's not my best. If I'm sitting down to practice scales or to play along to CD's, I'll look at it differently. Sometimes I'll attempt to "play through it," but not always. There have been times when I would begin to play, and every note sounded out of pitch, unacceptable tone, bad execution, etc. I would walk away, do soemthing else for a half an hour, and then come back to it, and find myself in one of the best "zones" I have ever been in, where everything is effortless and it all sounds great. It appears that I have no control over when which scenario will occur. Sometimes I can play through it. Other times I might have to walk away for a few minutes, or a couple of days. Upon reading my response, I realize I probably have been of no help at all. I guess I'm still tired from gigging late last night. But since I've already written all of this down, I'll submit it. Thanks for listening. -- Marc

Gord Cole

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 11:51 am    

I find it helps to just sit and listen to some CD's and tapes by the great guys that inspired me to take up the Steel in the first place.
--Gord

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 12:02 pm    

In my own experience, if I burn the candle at both ends, my playing suffers. The concentration required to play proficiently is lacking after a days work.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 5:15 pm    

Welllllll, sounds like Dave and Gary Lee are talkin' my language! Yes, Maker's Mark will improve any "bad steel" day. But...if I had my druthers, I'd partake some Woodford Reserve ~ Select.

Hard to find, but ahhhhhhh...worth the time!

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2003 5:53 pm    

Larry Bell has some good advice to all.

If I had a bad day, I just don't push the envelope, and lay back and play it safe.

Then the next day, if I am charged up again, I let her go and stretch out again.

In music you are going to have your ups and downs.

Just get through the downs and enjoy the ups when they come.....al

David L. Donald

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2003 9:11 am    

Well a small neet Laphroaig has been know to relieve stress from the clams left on stage the evening before.
You can practice doing say 10 notes a minute all perfect, and feel good.
It's not law that you must play 100 notes a minute at 9 am, to feel good about your pickin'.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 17 March 2003 at 09:11 AM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2003 9:55 am    

Good post Bill. There are days when I can sit and practice scales, licks, whatever for hours and feel like I only spent a few minutes. Then, like you stated, their are days that 1 scale will bring me down, I can't even keep the picks on..so..I walk away from the Steel or Guitar and...

I watch Seinfeld...

tp

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2003 12:52 pm    

"Woodford Reserve ~ Select"

Snob

Got any you want to share?