The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Indie Rock Pedalsteel
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 4:00 pm    

Last night I was playing at Galapagos in Brooklyn for an Amnesty International benefit. There were 2 pedalsteel players playing in very different styles with a couple new indie rock bands. The other bands on the bill were way into the steel guitar. Its great to see a packed club on monday night with steel guitar being so featured.

Bob

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 4:43 pm    

What the heck is Indy Rock? I havent really heard any good groups from Indiana since that crazy Jackson 5 group.

Seriously though, I have heard more non-country psg in the last year than the garden variety. Im sure most of the folks her would think it was petty lame, but even in droning alt rock, the PSG sounds great.

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 7:12 pm    

Indy rock,hard rock,country rock,who cares as long as people like what they hear on PSG.
Just don't ask>>>>what kind of keyboard is that?

Bill

------------------
Bill Ford

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 3:05 pm    

Bob, who was playing... and you got a regular band on the go, or are you still the hired gun?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 3:19 pm    

A guy named Matt was playing with a band called Kay. I was playing with a band called Sulva. Matt did some great stuff and I should be working with the guys again soon.

As far as the hired gun thing goes. I am always a hired sideman in every band I play with. The only time I am not a sideman is when my own band is playing. But we never play because I can't afford myself.

Bob

Ward Williams

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 7:13 pm    

The pedal steel RULES! In my opinion, it's the greatest instrument of all time. I'm a slide guitar player who recently broke down and bought a pedal steel guitar (something I've wanted to do my whole musical career). Now I don't know if I'll ever play guitar again. Funny thing is, I hate country music. Sorry. Well actually, I should rephrase that. I hate any country music recorded from about 1980 on. But I've always loved the pedal steel guitar, so I have to force myself to sit through some of those horrible songs just to hear the pedal steel guitar. I do appreciate good musicianship, and I realize that many, if not most, of the best musicians are on country recordings. Perhaps that's where all the money is for "players." I've even been sucked down that drain a couple times myself, especialy now that I'm playing pedal steel. I play in a couple of rock bands and even punk band, and I've been incorporating the pedal steel into all of them. People are going nuts over it. Hopefully, I'm on to something here. It would be nice to let the rest of the non-country listening world experience the greatness of the pedal steel guitar. Oh yea, and I really should start charging a dollar to every chick or dude in the audience who asks me what kind of keyboard I'm playing. Then I might start making some REAL money as a musician. Cheers, to all you amazing steelers out there. Keep rockin'.

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 2:33 am    

I play in a new Band here in Berlin, called theroadtogodknowswhere, and they play all instrumental atmospheric stuff with some tongue-in-cheek 70t's rock influences, a bit like Godspeed You Black Emperor meets LedZep. I myself am amazed how great the pedal-steel fits in... I never plyayed much country, but I never was that far away...

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 | Regal RD45 | fender hotrod deluxe

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 5:12 am    

Bob-don't be using a Tube Screamer...people might think you are one of those hippies...

John Troutman

Washington, DC
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 3:44 pm    

hey bob
i'm john, the guy who plays with the mendoza line when they leave the city. there's a great player named bill mccullogh out of austin here that plays in knife in the water, another indie band. i also play with a band in austin called western keys. always wanted to meet you but haven't had the pleasure yet. pete and the rest of the band are always telling me that i need to learn how to play like you!

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 11:09 pm    

John,
It looks like I might be subbing for you at the Whokilledkenny fest in Ireland. Lets track each other down next chance we get.

The indie rock scene is a funny one. I'm always running into new steel players that are coming up with all sorts of great stuff.

And Steve, Not to worry. The indie rock guys think hippies suck just as much as Cartman does.

Bob

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2003 4:51 am    

Bob...who is Cartman?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2003 6:44 am    

Cartman

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 07 February 2003 at 06:46 AM.]

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2003 11:07 am    

Bob-nice pic of Cartman [my hero].

Speaking of 'country bands' versus the rest of the world: When I am not on the road [I am currently in Atlantic City playing real pedal steel in the play "Always, Patsy Cline" with Misty Rowe and Becky Barta] and am home in the Albany NY area I hire on or sit in with local bands.Most of the 'country' bands here sort of smile sheepishly and move away when you say you play pedal steel.Most wanta stay far away from that twangy steel and fiddle crap.I sit in with a funk band that does P-Funk,James Brown,etc.I sit in with a 70s style Hendrix-Led Zep band and I play with various singer songwriters and other eclectic groups.
I think it's kinda funny...but verrrry sad.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2003 6:53 pm    

I've almost always had a whole lot more fun playing and recording with indie bands. Besides usually liking the music, I've also often felt like I was given a whole lot more room to make up my own style.

And, hey, what fun playing now and then with folks who don't like you usuing a tube screamer but only because they think it sounds too tame!

[This message was edited by Chris Bauer on 07 February 2003 at 06:55 PM.]

Steve Pierce

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2003 9:37 am    

Dude, Ward. You Rock!

------------------
Steve Pierce

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 6:40 am    

I once kicked out two German hitch-hikers who insisted that was a hippie, geez.. jes because a fella had long hair.

Bob, you should take a pay cut and try yourself out for a gig.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 10:32 am    

Lets start a list of "Indie Rock" bands that use steel:

1.Mendoza Line
2.Japancakes
3.Brite Eyes
4.Kay
5.Calexico
6.The Doodars (available in forum cataloge)
7.Elk City
8.Luke Vibert (Stop the panic cd)

Lets see how many outside the box bands we can come up with !

Bob

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 10:47 am    

I'm sorry; but I'm lost as the question wasn't answered....."what is Indie Rock"??
I don't know what Indie is?? anyone care to explain?
Ricky

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 10:59 am    

"Indie" as in "independent" as in "not on a Major Label" as in "Independently released" as in "not the same ole same ole" or "not necessarily in an easily categorizeable commercial genre"....

something (usually) different than what you hear on the radio, no matter what Clear Channel station you put on...

other definitions may apply

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 11:31 am    

Mercury Rev
Flaming Lips
Sparklehorse
Built to Spill
Beck
Cake(fellow forumite Grg Vincent did some great PSG work w/ em)
Call and Response
Clem Snide
Eels
Frank Black
Gomez
LambChop
Minibar
Super Furry Animals
SuperDrag
The Samples
Varnaline
WEEN

------------------
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul, Korg Triton

[This message was edited by Matt Steindl on 09 February 2003 at 11:33 AM.]

[This message was edited by Matt Steindl on 09 February 2003 at 11:36 AM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 9:06 pm    

Ohhhh I got ya....Indie is short for Independant...yeee haaa.
Ok; well than I've recorded on several of the Rock CD's....and yes it's pretty fun...and of course they always freak out when they hear just what the Steel can do in the NON-country enviroment.
Ricky

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2003 5:22 am    

I'm a massive Calexico fan, and Bob's work on the Doodars CD is great, actually that whole CD is quite an interesting project.

For the more space/surf orientated there's Gary Brandin's Vanduras project as well.

Indie is indeed short for independant, while indie rock is more about rock bands that came up through the post punk era on smaller labels that generaly sprung up in the wake of the punk rock D.I.Y. ethic.
Of course the term rock is a pretty loose one.
Some people think Bon Jovi are rock, while some people think Kenny G. is a jazz artists. Some people think Shania Twain is a country act.

The basic formula od indie rock is that the music is a left field version of what the mainstrean is, or it's a lot more experimental and less successful.
The music that is more like mainstrean rock may gain a larger following and success, it may even change the shape of rock.
That is until 20 dozen bands that make a smoother more generic version of said music get signed, which leads to the formation of even more generic bands hoping to cash in on that sound.
For about five years most of the chart bands in the USA, pretty much sounded like a variant of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.

Anyone who follows the charts will have an idea of what I'm using for reference points.

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2003 8:22 am    

Thanks for speaking so highly of Calexico. I downloaded a few tunes last night and was really blown away. I love the textural stuff that they do. I have always loved Richard Buckner, and never knew of his afiliation w/ Calexico. I am off to Tower to buy a couple of their CD's now(who says file sharing is bad for bands?).

Thanks again for the suggestion!

------------------
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2003 10:12 am    

Severed Head in a Bag

------------------
www.tyack.com

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2003 6:51 pm    

Coupla entries from my odd-ball past...

Russ Tolman (& the Totem Polemen)& Poi Dog Pondering. Did a fun one a year or two ago with Mattie Groves.