The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Little help please
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 10:01 am    

Hey Guys,anyone knows anything about this forumite???This is a email I got today from Kunte.

Hello,
I am intrested in buying your musical instrument if my
offer sounds nice, provide me with the cost of instrument
and shipping via FEDEX to Lagos Nigeria.
Thanks,
Kunte

and this is email address where it come from

angelo.banzar@caramail.com

why am I suspicious?

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 10:10 am    

I would pass on that one. There are 300 million people in North America. Surely one of them is looking for a guitar.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 10:36 am    

As long as you get the money first, I don't see a problem. If necessary you could use an escrow service to hold the money.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 10:41 am    

I don't see why you need to be suspicious Damir. To me there is nothing in the e-mail to warrant it. Find out what it would cost to ship to Lagos , add it to your price, and tell him that that is what you require. If you and this individual come to terms, and if you receive payment for the agreed-upon price before you ship(including the cost of shipping), you are not at risk. Same as if you were selling it to someone in another city or state, or someone up here in Canada.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 10:42 am    

I think it's no different than if you were selling it to someone from, oh, say.. Croatia. For example. Just get the money first. In US dollars

(He didn't say he wanted you to put up $30,000 in "good faith" money first, did he? )

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 13 February 2003 at 10:43 AM.]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 11:32 am    

I sell gear to people overseas and have never had a problem. I have them wire the money directly into my checking account. I get the money then I ship the gear.
No problem.

I was recording a CD for an African band last night. They were way into the steel. Great musicians and super nice guys. There is a very big interest in pedalsteel in Nigeria because of King Sunny Ade. His steel player is somewhat of a legend among musicians and music fans there.

Bob

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 5:42 pm    

I didn`t have anything for sale on the first place,and I did sent an email to that guy saying that I will send guitar out as soon as I receive a payment,no need to say that I never heard from him again.So,Glenn,you`re right,I think I`ll pass on this one.I tryied to buy a Digitech 2120 from the guy on Ebay,but he wouldn`t email his address but wanted me to pay via pay pal.I personaly like to know where is my money going on the first place,and I don`t trust too much to that email pay pal thing.Anyone can set up an email account.Once you send your money out thats it,and I`m maybe to suspicios but thats just me.These days you never know with all these internet scams going on,when you gonna get riped off.