The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My day with Terry Bethel and My new gig!
Billy Peddycoart

champain,IL US.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2003 4:40 pm    

I am now the steel player at Nashville North, and haveing a blast. I still do my friday gig at the Bement Opry to. Two weeks ago we had Blake Shelton at NVN (nice guy good singer great band ) and last sat. I spent the whole day with Terry Bethel he was there with Mel Tillis. I have met Terry before but have never spent any time with him. It was great, what a nice guy and we all know what a great player he is. Inbetween our sound checks and two shows we had alot of time to visit and talk shop.If you ever get a chance to see Mel's show with Terry don't miss it.This is going to be fun! thanks Billy......

------------------

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2003 12:16 am    

Billy, Congratulations on getting the Nashville North gig. I think it will be a great opportunity for you,seeing how they have a lot of national acts come in. You'll have to show me some of the licks you acquire from all the great steel players you'll be meeting. I have talked to Terry Bethel a few times at the steel convention, he was always very friendly and informative. I finally got to see him play and he has an arrangement of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" that is without a doubt the coolest(harmonically speaking) version I have ever heard! Take Care! Bob

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2003 5:22 am    

Bob,
Are you sure that the song you mentioned played by Terry might be 'Always Chasing Rainbows'? He showed me several of his 'Killer' licks to this tune at the 2000 St. Louis Show.

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 12:13 am    

Hi Billy, How is the new gig?
I was the house steel player myself at Nashville North way back in 1990. I had a great time opening for all the great Nashville artists that came through. I am sure you will have a great time.
Is there anyone around anymore that would have been there then? I have been out of touch for a long time. The last time I was there was in 1995 with Daron Norwood. Mike Spaeth was playing steel then.
Have fun, God Bless,
Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 2:15 am    

Ron, It was definitely "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" from the Wizard of Oz movie. I checked out the tunes on his latest cd (If we
Could) and #10 is "Always Chasing Rainbows" and the last tune on the cd, #11 is "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I think it was the 2001 convention that I saw him play this at. It was around 11:00 in the morning and I was checking out of the hotel and only caught the last few tunes of his show. His arrangement of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was incredible. Voice leading with some very interesting and unpredictable chord voicings. I remember seeing Thumbs Carlyle at the convention once and he had some very interesting chord voicings in his reportoire, Terry's playing kinda reminded me of that.I have heard for years how great of a player Terry Bethel is and it was a pleasant surprise to find out that he is even better than I expected! I envy Billy for getting to hang out with him for a day. I bet he picked up some cool stuff.

Billy Peddycoart

champain,IL US.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2003 3:33 pm    

Hi Michael, so far it's been nothing but fun. It is a real pro.set-up. the band is real good so that help's also. the band is, Mike Musgrove on drums ( very good ) Lance Fry on Bass also good, Bill Studinski on lead guitar, good player cool last name. Treasa Frasure on piano and keys and Me on Steel. I am already looking forward to the next show. Bob anything I steel (get it ? ) I will pass along to all my steel Buddies. We can be thiefs together!! Be good Billy..