The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Anonymous. . .who are you?
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2002 6:33 pm    

I am posting this at the request of forum member "Robert Rogers".
A very disturbing e-mail was sent to Robert a few days ago from a party calling himself "ANONYMOUS". Here's how it reads.

Quote:
Aren't you the kid who never knows when to stop playing? How do people put up with your annoying baby ways? I hear that you bother every big player that you can find to know and that you are relentless when you want something given to you. I also see that you are playing at the same show with the Big E. I'm sure he will give you about 30 seconds before he cuts you off COLD. I saw you in Chattanooga and you aren't that good to stay up with the big boys so why don't you just take your whining and baby ways and go home. You are nothing that anyone wants around.

Robert & his family are very upset about this CHILDISH & COWARDLY act. They would appreciate any information or assistance in finding out who sent it. If that person who did send it is reading this post, how about letting us know who you are so it can be discussed on an adult level. . . .or if anyone knows who did it, please contact Robert at (robertrogers1980@yahoo.com) or call (931) 659-6839. Robert and his parents are working with their internet provider to try tracing the IP# from this e-mail. Any help in this matter will be appreciated.

[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 03 July 2002 at 07:56 AM.]

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2002 11:34 pm    

My stars! a rather uncalled for antic. hope they find out who it was-

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 4:21 am    

Nick, I too am very disturbed by this email. Robert is a good friend of mine and with his playing abilities (on steel and fiddle), he deserves to be heard.

Seems to me like this "anonymous" fellow is very jealous and probably couldn't even carry Robert's steel. I've seen this type of action before, and all it does is hurt the parties involved.

Let me know what I can do to help.

And Robert, KEEP ON PICKING

Bill Ferguson

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 4:35 am    

Sounds like someone is jealous ! Afterall, 30 seconds of uninterupted time with the BIG E would be something to write home about !

Blah blah blah...whoever you are, get a real life..and lets see and hear you play while your seeking your new life as well..

EMAIL, don't ya love it , why only a few short years ago if you wanted to insult someone you had to either do it in person , write a letter or call em' on the phone, ain't technology great!

Keep Pickin' Robert..I'd be pleased to sit and listen..
TP

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 03 July 2002 at 05:35 AM.]

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 5:36 am    

Robert, don't worry about the email. I know that it is hard to swallow, but you must go on. Whoever is responsible, is not a good person. I sure wish I could hear ya! Keep on pickin'!

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 6:20 am    

Yeap, this person is completely "ate up" with jealousy. Robert is a very nice and polite young man who is well on his way to becoming a great player if he sticks with it.

Your best chance to find out who did it is to take the domain part of the E-mail (like @yahoo.com) address and see if that company can help ID the person, unless it was a completely bogus sender E-mail address.

One thing that seems certain is that the individual is on Barry Gilbreath's Chattanooga show attendee list.

It is cowardly, for sure.

Relax, Robert! I have observed that those who complain about so-called "overplaying" are often jealous because they are not very accomplished players and have a very limited repertoire of licks.

BTW, that also goes for those who are critical of speed picking--they are often not very fast.

------------------
Frank Estes - 1978 Emmons D-10 8+6 #2441D

Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 6:43 am    

Here's a picture of Robert having fun http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum4/HTML/001626.html

..a young man who's not on drugs, and takes a particular interest in this instrument we all claim to love...He's attending a party by invitation with most of the icon names
in the steel guitar world..
You'll notice I'm in front of him, and that's exactly where I intend to stay..right in front of him fending off these cheap shots..wonder how this guy who sent it plays..you know the ole talks a good game, but ends there???

You go Robert and continue your dreams...

Jerry http://www.slidestation.com

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 6:50 am    

Robert, I know stuff like this is sure to hurt a guys feelings not to mention ego but something I learned a long time ago is that if you take that hurt and anger and turn it into a fierce determination it'll give you the drive to far exceed even your own wildest dreams. Good luck and keep that chin up!

Rick Garrett

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 8:37 am    

I've known Robert for about a year now, but that's enough to know he's none of those things. Robert, at least your friends know the truth. Take it as a compliment that someone's jealous enough to be so cruel.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 8:44 am    

Robert, I have never heard you play, but don't let someone who writes or says things like this interrupt your steel playing.

I've found that when I play music there is a tremendous amount of jealousy. To be jealous, envious and covetous of others is sinning.

I don't know if you're a Christian, but as a Christian I want to share some things about all of this.

James 4:8-10
"But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our GOD and FATHER, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of GOD. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so."

My advice, is not to try to get back at this individual. If you are a Christian just simply pray to GOD. Just say,

"GOD, I choose to not take offense to this person and I will use the abilities that you have given me. I choose to forgive them and I pray for them. In JESUS CHRIST'S name. Amen!

I tell you the truth. If you do this you will be FREE. This other person is not free and they do not even realize it. THey are spiritualy blinded by jealousy and envious of others. GOD will exalt the humble. HE is the ultimate judge and HE alone is righteous.

I am going to pray for you and your release.

DEAR LORD JESUS,

YOU said in the GOSPEL of John 14:12-15
"Most assuredly, I (JESUS) say to you, he who believes in ME, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to MY FATHER. And whatever you ask in MY Name, that I (JESUS) will do, that THE FATHER may be glorified in THE SON. If you ask anything in MY name, I will do it. If you love ME, keep MY (JESUS) commandments."

DEAR LORD JESUS, I ask YOU that YOU will give this person and their family YOUR GRACE AND LOVE, and that they will choose to forgive this individual. And GOD, I pray for this individual that they too will receive YOUR GRACE AND LOVE AND MERCY. Because it is only in YOU, that they can be FREE.

And GOD we will be very careful to give YOU all the Praise, the Honor and the Glory!

May GOD bless each of you! In JESUS CHRIST'S Name. AMEN!(Let it be so!)

Terry J. Wood
Heavenly Math
3 Nails + 1 SAVIOUR = 4 Given

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 8:46 am    

I've seen mail like this before. I've never understood how someone can write such hurtful, hateful things.

My advice to Robert and anyone else who is the target of such verbal abuse is to put it behind you as quickly as possible. Don't waste your time trying to get revenge. Move on. The offender is not worthy of your energy. Really, he isn't.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 9:01 am    

Agreed. Just delete it and don't give it a second thought. Easier said than done, but anything else is giving the sender power over you.

Very similar to an obscene phone call.

Email has made it easy for cowards and other scum to hide and attack.

IMO, that's a small price to pay for the benifits of this technology.

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 03 July 2002 at 10:03 AM.]

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 10:21 am    

I was recently attacked via email by a member of this forum(actually I think he might have been kicked off already). It was an email with his own name on it, it was a response to my post "In Praise of the SGF". He was calling me names and telling me to "shut up" about my oppinions. I made the mistake of emailing him back....then he got even more pissed and started calling me names.

My mistake was responding at all. I ended up doing some research on this DUDE, and it turns out, that he is a total redneck who likes monster trucks and isnt worth my time responding to. As a matter of fact, he probably never plays out or records at all.

Bottom line, dont take these serious jokers seriously, they are using their energy sending hate your way, so instead of sending it back for them to keep, why not just hang on to it yourself.

It all sounds like grade school stuff to me!!

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 12:03 pm    

Quote:
Take it as a compliment that someone's jealous enough to be so cruel.

That's exactly as I see it... If you weren't
a talented player this guy would never feel threatened enough to send you the email in the first place. It's actually a compliment... in a twisted kind of way .

------------------
Bob Grado, Williams D10 (lefty), Peavey 1000,
Profex ll.

[This message was edited by BobG on 03 July 2002 at 01:05 PM.]

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 12:09 pm    

Pretty chicken $hit if you ask me. Sounds as if the writer is a piece of $hit.

Probably doesn't have many (if any) friends.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 12:11 pm    

That nasty mail says more about the writer then about Robert who it was adressed to.
Robert, please stand above this crap!
You where there on stage, your mailer probably wasn't!!!
JJ

Leroy Riggs

Looney Tunes, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 3:36 pm    

Quote:
Pretty chicken $hit if you ask me.

Ya got that right!!

James Smith

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 3:45 pm    

Hey, I think that "ANONYMOUS" must be my wife. That's what she tells me about my playing. I just don't get asked to play at any shows. Robert, don't get discouraged. You're much better than me and I am at least twice your age.

Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 4:36 pm    

Robert- Don't waste any time worring about this"People Basher" I have dealt with you and like others I feel this person is "Jealous" of your rapid rise in Steel Guitars.You can sleep good because you know how much support you are receiving. Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 5:40 pm    

I've never met Robert personally, I've talked to him on the phone and he is a very polite and kind young man. I wish him all the best in the world.

Terry Farmer

Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 5:52 pm    

Robert, Nick and all,
Don't waste two seconds of your time on this loser. There is a great proverb that goes something like this: "Harboring revenge is like drinking poison and hoping the other sonofa***** will die." You are sharing your music and dreams! He ain't! God Bless you.

Stoney Stonecipher

Knoxville, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 7:29 pm    

I don't know who would write such a thing as this, but I appreciate any young person who is interested enough in music to ask questions and do all he can to learn. I know Robert and I appreciate him, and I think he is a good musician.

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 8:02 pm    

I agree with Johan. This was a very small person who has to degrade other people to make them feel big.

I won't even alow myself to as much as dislike a person like that...I just feel sorry for them.

Bob.

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2002 9:31 pm    

Recently there was a poster on another forum that was making the same derogatory comments on everything from steel players to the guitar brands they were playing. This jerk went by the name of "dickhead" or something like that. His name was exposed on the other forum. I hope "ANONYMOUS" meets the same fate.

------------------
Mullen D10-8/5
Sho-Bud S10-3/4
Evans Amps
"Making The Stars Shine"

Robert Rogers

Manchester,TN
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2002 12:10 am    

I would like to say thanks to Nick,Bill,Jerry and everybody else for yalls support.Im gettin through this pretty good.It makes me feel great to know Ive got friends like yall.God Bless Yall.

Robert Rogers