The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Jagwire Experience
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2003 11:00 am    

A Week ago; Danny Hullihen
(jagwire string proprietor) e-mailed me about tabbing a few Mike Johnson Licks(which can be difficult as Mike is a MOnster)for him...and he wanted to send me some Jagwire strings for helpin' out> I said: "You betcha".
I've had a string endorsment with Ernie Ball for many years and I've tried many many other strings and was completely happy with my Ernie Ball strings. Never tried the Jagwires though and heard some good stuff about them.....so I put them on my Fulawka....and WOW.
Ok here is the Reason for WoW.
I played a gig and they sounded wonderful and noticed less bar noise....but the Big WOW came the next day.
We are Cutting a new Dale Watson CD and so in the Studio...is the BIG test on strings....and I cut on the First song...and listened back.....and experienced a HUGH Success with these strings(the tape can tell all..ha).
I've cut my new Fulawka on 5 commercials and 3 CD projects so far(still a new guitar you know)...and when I heard the first take on this CD project with the New Jagwire strings....WELL I was majorly Impressed.
There is less string noise than any other string I've used.....and the texture and tone of these strings are to DIE for....and I am soooo completely happy to Now be a New Endorser of the Jagwire Strings.
I don't need to be or need a string endorsment...as I already have one with Ernie Ball.....but when something is THAT good....I just have to tell everybody....and believe me> I've had/tried every string on my Steels> except the Jagwire....and now I am sooooo happy I did and am extreamly Honored to be in the Jagwire Family.
If anyone ever wants to know what strings I use.......I can now tell them>: "the best string on the planet"..ha...Nickle Jagwire Strings!!!
...........and they've been on my steel for a week now(I play everyday and have greeeeezy hands..ha) and they still sound and play like new...and go and come back perfectly...........WOW...I applaud You Danny and The Great Jagwire Strings
So get you some Immediately and you will experience what I did...and what a wonderful experience that is!!

------------------
Ricky Davis

My Homepage
Rebel™ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@aol.com

Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2003 11:27 am    

Hey Ricky,

Couldn't agree with you more...not only are they fine strings, but Danny and Regina are
fine people...Welcome to the family of Jagwire...I've endorsed and used these strings for two years and they have never let me down in any situation...ever!

It was great talking to you the other day, and I'll see you in Dallas..

Jerry http://www.slidestation.com

[This message was edited by Jerry Brightman on 31 January 2003 at 03:52 PM.]

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2003 12:32 pm    

I ordered a set of Tommy White Jagwires from b0b and could'nt be happier,course I had to order 2 extras for the 11th and 12th strings but,well worth it.

BF

------------------
Bill Ford

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2003 7:51 pm    

I had the opposite experience with nickel-wound Jagwires. They went dead suddenly after about 5 days, E9 and C6 on two different guitars.

I usually use Stainless George L strings and I can use them for a few weeks.

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2003 8:56 pm    

Earnest, i also had that happen on two guitars.
A 66 Emmons and a 2001 Derby,
wasted effort changeing them,as far as I'm concerned.
went back to SIT's on the Emmons and Geo L's on the Derby.
Too dead after about a couple of gigs.
Just an opionion of my experience

------------------
66 Emmons D-10 bolt-on

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2003 7:47 am    

Ricky, Jerry, Bill.

WOW!! Thanks guys! That is quite a complement coming from you guys, and I am very honored. To say that I am proud to have most of the biggest names in the industry endorsing Jagwire Strings would indeed be a bit of an understatment! I am very proud of all of you, and we will always continue to do the very best we can for the steelers.

To our many decicated supporters and endorsers, we just can't say thank you enough!

Earnest, please accept our apologies for your experience. Kenny Forbess, if you will email me your address, we will send you either a refund, or a free set of your favorite brand of strings in an effort to help you regain your loss of time in installing the Jagwire Strings.

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2003 8:12 am    

I agree whole heartedly!! I think they are simply the very best string going for pedal steel!! I've been the studio working on Sawyer Browns new record this week and like Ricky said, that's where you can really hear the difference. Thanks so much Danny and Regina!!

[This message was edited by Buck Reid on 01 February 2003 at 08:15 AM.]

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2003 1:28 pm    

Like I've been tellin' you folks, Jagwire Nickel Wounds are beyond any doubt the finest strings I've ever used, and I've used most all brands over the past 35 years or so. Jagwire Nickel Wounds are my strings of choice for pedal steel and electric guitar, and I also use Jagwire strings on the dobro.

Jagwires sound great and hold their tone longer than the other brands I have used, and guess what, they are not expensive! Remember, there are reasons why so many pro players endorse and use Jagwire strings and those reasons are HIGH QUALITY and UNSURPASSED CUSTOMER SERVICE.

An unsolicited, unpaid, non-professional, but completely satisfied Jagwire String endorser,

Tim R.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2003 3:28 pm    

Well,wich is it now,are they good or not?Are those unfortunate few guys here just picked a bad ones?I use SIT Emmons and never had a problem,but don`t know anything about Jagwire.Someone told me once that all the strings are made of same material and that there is only one or two actual factories you can get material for strings from.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 4:51 am    

I have been using SIT Buddy Emmons stainless steel strings for quite a while. Most modern strings are of a high quality these days and very consistent. One factor in the life of a set of strings is hand perspiration. I'm quite lucky in that department as I am not a 'sweater', but a pal of mine can kill the tone of a brand new set of strings within an hour. I don't let him anywhere near my ShoBud or Tele. Any other people know someone who has this problem?

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 9:14 am    

I'm not a sweater, unless I play in front of an audience. Of course, that's more rare than a blue moon, so my strings are safe.

Actually, regarding this corrosion (or gunking) problem, I have found that wiping the strings down every 20 minutes or so has made a big difference in the tonal life of the strings. I used to think that players who did that were just pampering their guitars, but I decided one day to grab an old wash cloth and wipe down every time I finished up playing. Now I'm getting a lot more life out of my strings which, by the way, are nickel plated Jagwires from b0b. (Of course, wiping doesn't effect breakage life, just tonal life.)

So I'd recommended string wipe-down to everyone.

------------------
Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?

[This message was edited by Bill Llewellyn on 02 February 2003 at 09:16 AM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 10:12 am    

Yes I have this Problem of sweaty hands...and I do wipe them down....oh after about every song...ha....and yes that's all you need to do to prolong the life of a string....otherwise it don't matter what kinda string you have...I'll kill it after one song...ha.
Even if you do not have sweaty hands...> the oils in your hands will still kill the strings....so wiping is very important or Yes; any string will go dead sooner if you don't.
These are my findings and opinions of course....have fun.
Ricky

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 12:09 pm    

Ernest Bovine wrote:
quote:
I had the opposite experience with nickel-wound Jagwires. They went dead suddenly after about 5 days, E9 and C6 on two different guitars.
I usually use Stainless George L strings and I can use them for a few weeks.

Stainless wound strings do sound bright longer. Are you sure that the difference wasn't just nickel vs. stainless? Ever tried Jagwire stainless?

I'm a huge fan of Jagwire strings, which is why I carry them in the Forum catalog. I've had exactly one string break in the past two years, and that one should have been changed two weeks earlier. The band I'm in doesn't even know that pedal steels can break strings!

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic, Line6 Variax (coming soon)

Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 12:37 pm    

Bob,

Well said...I also use stainless steel.

Jerry