The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Day Singing ??
John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 12:27 am    

All right, here is one for you history buffs. I recently came in posession of a recording that makes me wonder. It's on a homemade cassette tape and all the information I have is the artist, Jimmy Day, and the song title, "IF NOT FOR JENNIFER".
It's a vocal with steel in the distant background. Did Jimmy ever do any singing and was it ever recorded? It sounds like a cross between a young Webb Pierce and a young Willie Nelson if you can imagine such a combination. It sounds as though it was recorded from a record and is very scratchy, but a very haunting song. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. THANKS HEAPS.

------------------
"Let's go STEEL something"
If it feels good, do it. If it feels COUNTRY, do it twice
jpp

Gregg Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn.,USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 1:04 am    

John,
I have the 45 of "If Not For Jennifer." It's one of my favorite songs of all time, and was written by my friend, Ronny Light. Pete Drake produced the record, and Buddy Emmons played steel on it. I think it was released in 1967 or '68. It was on Pete's "Stop" label. Jimmy had one more release for the company. The title eludes me right now, but I remember it was on the Juke-box at Tootsie's for several years.I would make you a copy of "Jennifer", but mine's probably as scratchy as your tape is.

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 2:59 am    

I have that song on a tape too, I think the tape is the collection "For Jimmy Day Fans Only", which includes his first solo recordings, some of the Starday recordings and rare radio cuts. Some really cool stuff!! On the JD at Cajun Steel Convention-video Jimmy sings "Everyday I Have The Blues".
Jussi

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 3:01 am    

Oh yeah, on that tape, I think was a song "Rainy Day Blues", which he sang also.

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 4:00 am    

Don't remember the name of the song off the top of my head, but he sang a song on the Offender's reunion album (him, Willie, David Zettner, and the incredible Johnny Bush).

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 5:12 am    

I've posted this before but it fits nicely here: Riding in a chauffered Mercedes limo over the mountains in Germany, Ferlin Husky in the front with a driver named Herman (Next To Herman.....??) and Jimmy Day and I talking steel in the back.

I hummed something I had heard Jimmy play and Ferlin said back to us: Damm, another steel player who can't carry a tune in a bucket !

Maybe I better get some of these songs mentioned here and listen for myself.

Regards,Paul

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 10:16 am    

Gregg,

That record at Tootsie's might have been "I Just Lost My Favorite Girl", which Jimmy wrote (?) and recorded. Ronnie Dale had an excellent cut on it, too.

C#

[This message was edited by Cal Sharp on 09 January 2002 at 10:17 AM.]

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 11:44 am    

Another Jimmy Day vocal was on Stop 181: "No one to blame but yourself/I'm living for a song (i'd love to sing). His singing voice reminds me of Willie Nelson and Tommy Collins a bit.

He also wrote a fantastic song called "My eyes are jealous" which Gene Watson recorded on his first album before he ever had a hit--probably around 1970. Dickens did the song as well.

John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 1:34 pm    

John ,
It is ironic that your post appeared today as it would have been Jimmy's 68th birthday according to his brother Joe who lives in Livingston , TX. and belongs to our church there . Joe is a fine person ! We have been friends ever since I moved up to Onalaska , Tx. ( about 15 miles from Livingston) after retiring 10 years ago .

I sent your post and all the rest of the folks' comments who are on that topic with you , over to Joe Day this morning not knowing it would have been Jimmy's birthday . Joe e-mailed me back to tell me that Jimmy did indeed sing that song along with many others . Jimmy and Willie Nelson sang together also and Joe has that
tape . Joe has a massive collection of Jimmy's works through the years . Joe also said that most of the comments made by others on your post, was pretty much on target . Joe then told me that it would have been Jimmy's 68th birthday today .

b0b was nice enough to dedicate a permanant page on the forum to an article that Joe wrote about his brother Jimmy's life , gave me a copy , and authorized me to send it on to b0b for the forum's information about Jimmy . If you have not read it , you can look it up on one of the links on the forum or ask b0b to advise you how to get to the page . It is very interesting and shows how Joe ( the brother that is left with us ) paid such a high tribute to Jimmy both before and after Jimmy passed away .

Regards ,

John Hawkins

John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 1:46 pm    

John ,

Here is the link to Joe Day's article . It is an article that has a copy write --note bottom of the page at the end of the article .

Here is the link : http://b0b.com/jimmyday.htm

Enjoy !!!
John

B Bailey Brown

San Antonio, TX (USA)
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 3:44 pm    

Oh yea, Jimmy Day could sing. It runs in my mind that I sat in a barroom sometime in the 1970’s called the “Top Room”, or something close that which was owned by Larry Trader. Jimmy showed up, did not have a guitar with him, so I let him borrow my Sho-Bud professional. I really did not know Jimmy, but Jerry Blanton arranged that deal so I figured it was cool. And it WAS! I got in free.

Jimmy worked with a drummer and a Bass player that fronted the band…and just played his butt off!! I seem to remember Jimmy telling the other two players that he would do the first two or three songs by him self, so sit down and have a drink! I thought he would get up and play steel, but he grabbed a 6-string guitar, sat on a stool…and blew me away. He sang several tunes, and “If Not For Jennifer” was one of them. I don’t have that record, but I wish I did!! It is a classic. If you have it…LUCKY you!! It is very rare. I remember David Zettner singing it for me some years later.

Oh yea, after Jimmy sang a few tunes, he sat down behind my Sho_Bud, and played one of the best versions of “Greensleves” that I think I have ever heard (Sorry Buddy, but that was just one of those rare moments in my life. I don’t think have ever heard anything quite THAT good) ! It was really a FUN night.

B. Bailey Brown

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 6:40 pm    

For any interested, I have done up a web page with 3 vocals by Jimmy Day that can be downloaded off the page. Feel free.

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/jimmyday.html

Done in mono and I cleaned them up as best I could.

------------------
Rebel™
ICQ 614585

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 8:22 pm    

I'm familiar with "My Eyes are Jealous". Pee Wee Rogers gave me a Dickens cassette a few years ago and it's on there. Good ballad and lotsa room for the steel to work.

Tim R.

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2002 11:16 pm    

Ok, I went back and dug out the "For Jimmy Day Fans Only"-tape. The songs with vocals are:
"I Have No Place To Go"
"If Not For Jennifer"
"The Way You See Me"
"Rainy Day Blues"
"No One TO Blame"
"I'm Living For A Song"
"I Didn't Sleep A Wink Last Night"
Had been awhile, since I last heard the tape and it's interesting how much Jimmy and Willie Nelson sound alike, meaning the voice, not so much the phrasing.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2002 6:14 am    

Back when we were all helping get Little Roy Wiggins a grave marker, I recall a post by someone in Texas about Jimmy's grave. I was really down back then about him probably dying alone. I can't say what a relief it is reading Joe's article about his little brother. I had not seen that before and it was a revelation to say the least. A standing ovation at a funeral ?? He surely earned it !!

Best Regards, Paul

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2002 6:39 am    

Graham,
Thanks a MILLION for making Jimmy's tunes available. I heard Jimmy sing "Jennifer" once at a party -- must've been about '68 or '69 -- at the home of one of our very close mutual friends, who also sang it often. It was the first time I ever saw a pedal steel guitar up close.

I never really knew anyone named Jennifer, but for some reason, my wife and I named our daughter Jennifer. hmmmm. . . Amazing the effect a song can have on your life. Gives me goose bumps to this day. He had so much soul, it came out of every pore in the man's body.

Thanks again!

B Bailey Brown

San Antonio, TX (USA)
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2002 1:35 pm    

Larry,

You know, you bring up an interesting point. From time to time a song comes along that just, for whatever reasons, sticks in your mind! Yea, yea…I know this is a steel guitar forum, and Jimmy Day was certainly one of those players! But he was also a very talented musician. He played steel as well as it can be played, but he also played guitar and sang.

“If Not For Jennifer” is just one of those “haunting” melody’s that comes along from time to time. It just is so unique, it sticks in your mind. It is a rare combination of a chord progression, words, and a vocalist…that makes the whole thing come together!

B. Bailey Brown

Anne Giroux

Pincourt, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2002 11:29 pm    

For what it's worth I named my daughter Jennifer born in 1973 after Jimmy Day's song If Not For Jennifer. I had heard the song years before and I knew then if I ever had a daughter which I did that would be her name.

John P. Phillips

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2002 7:51 am    

Graham, thanks for the site. 2 of the downloads are fine but "Living for a song", was only 17 seconde no matter how I tried. Love these Jimmy Day vocals. Wish I had more of them. Thanks again, and thanks for all the comments.

------------------
jpp

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2002 9:23 am    

You bring up memories of sad days, but Joe's article brought back the sweet memories of that funeral.

Let me paint a little bit of a picture for y'all that Joe's article only hinted at. The large chapel of the funeral home was packed, and I'm sure there were over 500 people there, it was standing room only. Everyone was quietly talking with folks they'd seen just yesterday or folks they hadn't seen in decades, so there was a conversation buzz in the room. Jimmy's instrumental music was playing in the background.

But the "I Love You And I Know You Love Me" came on the PA system, and the sheer beauty of it, and its message, caused the entire room to drop the conversation and just listen. Then Dave Rich got up, waited a loooonnnggg pause, and quietly said "how about a hand for Jimmy Day." The room completely exploded with applause.

Honestly, I'm crying as I write these words.

I was given the honor of carrying Blue Darlin' behind Jimmy's casket from the viewing room to the chapel, and then out to the bus. I recalled that when Jimmy and I used to play together, I'd tell him I wasn't worthy enough to "carry his case," and he'd always make some joke. Now I was carrying Blue Darlin' for the last time, and she was so heavy.

I rode with Joe and Jimmy's sisters in Lynn Owsley's bus on the way to the cemetery. The family knew that Jim was "kind of famous," and had played with Elvis, etc. But they really had no idea of his significance in the lives of so many musicians, how he and his playing had altered our existences. I think... at least I hope... that what I told them in that half-hour ride to the graveyard opened their eyes further about the greatness their "black sheep " brother brought to the world.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

John P. Phillips

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2002 1:43 pm    

Herb,
Thank you soooooo much for that comment. It put a lump in my throat that I still can't get rid of. I only wish I had been lucky enough to meet this exceptional man. You were very fortunate in that respect.
I've re-discovered Jimmy in the past two weeks, and can't get enough. I just remembered, Jimmy Day has been one of my steel guitar heros for over40 years, and i only realized it lately. After hearing Jimmy on a couple of STARDAY albums in the early 60's I think,I was hooked on steel for good. Then along came Curly and I was hooked for goodagain. Thanks again Herb...

------------------
jpp

[This message was edited by John P.Phillips on 12 January 2002 at 01:49 PM.]

B Bailey Brown

San Antonio, TX (USA)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2002 3:52 pm    

Herb,

Thank you for the recollection. I did not have the opportunity to attend Jimmy’s funeral, but I also enjoyed reading your words. From time to time the word “Mentor” comes up here on the forum, and while I may have had one (but if I did I don’t remember who it was! Hell, it might have been you!), he was probably one of them. I never really knew Jimmy that well, but I had the opportunity to see Jimmy play many times in the early 1960’s and ‘70’s. He taught me a LOT!! No, he never showed me anything because that was not Jimmy’s way, but it was one of those “learn by watching what this guy is doing” type of deals.

He was a truly marvelous musician, who just sat behind the instrument and did his “thing”. There was a funny thing about Jimmy Day. He was the guy that taught me how to have the attitude “Sit behind this thing and have a good time. That’s what I am doing!!!”

I am not sure how I knew that because I was very young at the time. I have always respected that, and remembered the feeling I got watching him play (that is one of the cold chills run up and down your spine things!!). This guy just had a GREAT time playing steel guitar! I guess maybe that is just where the “soul” came from.

B. Bailey Brown

Murray Cullen

Irvine, CA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2002 8:02 pm    

Jimmy sang good, smooth and pleasant like his steel playin'.

Buddy Buddy

Nashville, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2002 10:53 pm    

Could Jimmy sing? I've been to sessions, with him, when there would be a break, he'd pick up an axe, to show the chords, to the band, and sing the song, they were working on. MORE than once, i'd hear people all over the studio, whisper to each other, "Man!!!, why doesn't Jimmy cut it, he does it better than, {whoever was doing the session.}
I was lucky enough, to have been his roaring partner, for, 35-40 years. We, were like brothers, only tighter.

"Little" Buddy.