The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Danny Sneed, Herb Steiner on steel with Pat James
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2001 3:19 pm    

Pat James is a singer, songwriter, guitarist who plays at the Buffalo Chip Cave Creek, Az.
While I was in Fort Worth this weekend visiting the ET Record shop I picked up this CD by Pat. I have heard him many times in Arizona. The CD has the great Danny Sneed playing steel, and it is a fine, fine CD !! Pat was at "Borrowed Money" this weekend in Fort Worth, and Herb Steiner played steel for him there. Herb, as usual, sounded great ! If you get the chance to be in the Phoenix area, try to check the Pat James Band-you wont be disappointed. Pat said he comes to Fort Worth about every 6 weeks now. You can check him out as well at ww.pjames.com

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2001 4:25 pm    

I caught their show in Cave Creek a few weeks ago when I was around Phoenix. Danny played super, and Pat's got a great, real country voice. And Cave Creek is kind of a hoot in itself. Check them out!

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2001 6:34 pm    

Is this the same Danny Sneed.....from the old Oregon Country....many years ago? I heard him play many years ago and what a knock-down, drag-out steel man he is!!!

Chuck Norris

Mesquite, TX, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2001 8:22 pm    

Yes that problably was,I played with Donnie in the Sneed family in Twin Fall`s Idaho and in Jan Dell and the Ranch Band in Missoula Montana in the 70`s and 80`s along with his brother`s Les on guitar and Donny on anything intertaining, it don`t get no better than Donnie on his Rustler steel or for that matter Les Sneed on guitar. Bye the way I believe Donnie was one of Barbra Mandrell`s teacher.

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2001 4:55 pm    

Danny is truly a great player. I met his brother Les in the early 70's when he was in a group with Paul Franklin. Les would tell me about Danny. I finally got to hear him in Phoenix sometime in the early 80's. What a player! Ironically, I live in Phoenix now and don't get to see him much more than I did when I lived in Nashville. He plays this wacky tuning and pedal setup (he'll have to explain it), but he can watch what I do on the normal E9th or C6th and somehow transpose it to his tuning. I wish he'd do a recording project sometime. He calls up with these ideas he's been working on and it blows me away. Check him out if you can.

Mike

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2001 9:45 am    

I used to babysit for Les & Suzie's 2 boys. Got to hear the Sneed family perform at Opryland Hotel years ago. Danny is fantastic! The whole family is gifted. Wow! Herb & Pat are having fun
Theresa

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2001 8:54 pm    

Heres a pic of Danny way back when, great player.

------------------
My Web Page
Sierra S-12 9&7
Peavey-2000-PX-300

Mark Frederick

The Great State of Arizona
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2001 9:51 am    

And not only is Danny a great player, he's as nice a guy as you would ever want to meet. A real class act for sure.

Mark

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2001 9:35 pm    

I am so glad that Danny is getting some exposure here on the forum. He told me he has never even attended the St. Louis show, but in my opinion would "knock the crowd out" with his great playing. I look forward to seeing him play and talking with him in just a few weeks. You are right, he is as nice a man as you could meet. He told me that when he was learning to play he had no idea how to tune the steel, so he just went with something that he thought was right and stuck with it. His tuning is not one that is "conventional", but it doesnt matter, he can get what he needs out of it. One thing about it, no one would sit in on his steel for him on his gigs !

[This message was edited by Larry Lenhart on 07 December 2001 at 09:36 PM.]

Perry Hansen

Bismarck, N.D.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2001 9:07 pm    

The first time I met Danny was in the early 60s in Anchorage Alaska. He was around 13 years old. He was playing in the Montana Club with his brothers Les and Donny. Let me tell you, he blew me away. I have an album with him playi8ng a tune he wrote called "My Uncle Ralph" that is Ralph Mooney combined with Curley Chalker. WOW.
Perry