The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who Are You Guys And Gals?
Roger Andrusky

Waterford, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 6:59 am    

As a new member to SGF, I really don't know most of the names I see, yet we "chat" like we've known each other forever - which is FANTASTIC! I know that's because of the common interest we all have, but maybe for us new guys and gals on the block, you all could tell a little about how you got started, what you're doing now and what equipment you mostly use?

I'll start off by telling you I have been playing the pedal steel since I was 17 or so. Started out on the lap steel when I was about 11.

I have an MSA Double 10 w/8F/4K and a Session 400 both of 1977 vintage.

I never had any formal lessons on the pedal steel because they weren't anywhere near me in Mercer PA where I grew up when I was in college. I regret that the most.

I haven't played in a band since 1988 due to some health problems my daughter had at birth, but still love to play and am now working on getting back to where I was when I was at my best. Whatever that was?

I did a little studio work, but I'll probably never play in the studio again most likely just due to schedule and kids and stuff, but I love to play for the sheer fun of it. I'm learning again, and that's what it's all about!

How about the rest of you?

Thanks in advance for helping the rest of us get to know you all!

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 7:35 am    

Hello Roger,

Welcome to the Forum, my friend. You'll enjoy the information and friendship you'll gain here. I have learned so much from these folks.

I dearly hope that you will be able to get the band thing going again. It is really a kick. Good players should be out there doing their thing.

I'm sort of a ressurected steel player.
I've played guitar for over 35 years and did play the steel in the mid 70's for a couple of years with a country-rock band. Even did a recording in Nashville in '76. I had a Fender 400 then and sold it soon afterwards when my first child was born.

I laid out of music while my kids were growing. Just couldn't afford the time or money, as I'm sure you can appreciate.

In 1994 I met two other musicians and we started a Classic Country/Classic Rock band called "Hickory". You can catch our photos, (I was the bassist then) on our website at hickoryband.com.
I wanted to play bass and that is what I did until a couple of months ago when I took back up the steel guitar. Bought a used Dekley SD-10 about a year ago, found a mentor, and pressed forward.

My band playes 5-6 gigs per month and I love playing the steel. (At the age of 50, it's nice to sit down to play). It's such a frustrating, yet rewarding, instrument.
Everyone in the band just loves the sound we now have.

My amp setup is strange. I use a Fender Champion 110 as a preamp which I then run through a Session 400 Limited. I use a Boss DD3 Delay and a Hughes and Kettner Rotosphere for that Leslie sound on some of the Rock tunes.

By the way, I just ordered a brand new Emmons SD-10 LeGrande II, 3&5, in black of course. Can't wait to get it!

I really enjoy the older/classic country music. I didn't really appreciate it when I was young, but I love it now.

So as not to ramble on, here is my email address. Give a shout sometime and we'll chat. Would love to here about your family and music experiences.
torth@stmarys.org

Good Luck, Roger
Hope to hear from you!

Tony Orth
Dekley SD-10, Emmons SD-10 coming soon,
Session 400 LTD
Understanding Wife

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 7:49 am    

Roger ... welcome to the Forum ... We invite you {and any others not yet listed} to list yourself and your gear on the www.OnLineSteelers.com Directory if you wish.

Ann Fabian
www.OnLineSteelers.com Directory

a FREE public service provided by
Carter Steel Guitars

[This message was edited by Ann Fabian on 30 November 2001 at 08:09 AM.]

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 9:11 am    

I hope you have a good sense of humor, especially after reading my repsonse to one of your other topics.

Roger Andrusky

Waterford, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 9:22 am    

Jeff, I do and I hope you do too! I responded to your reply to "One of my other topics" but you didn't answer the question and neither did Ann in this one. Maybe she wants me to go to that link she gave....yeh...I'll bet that's it!

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 10:00 am    

Welcome to the Forum,

To save space, you'll find anything about how I got started @: www.rockcounrtyhall.com/

It doesn't mention I started puttsin' with steel in 84', but if anyone is interested, they can e-mail me for the text from an article.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

[This message was edited by George Mc Lellan on 30 November 2001 at 10:21 AM.]

[This message was edited by George Mc Lellan on 30 November 2001 at 10:31 AM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 10:28 am    

Good Gosh..Deja-Vu !! Hey Roger, like the Tony above, I am a returning warrior. At 53, I have returned to Steel about 3 months ago from a self inflicted layoff of at least 10 years. Have been playing guitars and bass from the early 60's, never stopped with those two. Played Pedal Steel( D10 Sho-Bud Pro III )from around 72 to maybe 89 or 90, all up in Ct. A few months ago I came across one of my "E" records and played it, since then I have spent a whole lot of money, have two D-10's ( Carter 8+5 and Sho-Bud Professional 8+4), a Nashville 400 on it's way and good god whatever else I may come up with . I should add that I sold a few premium Instruments recently as well, as I do not own a bank. Also started an Internet radio site at live365.com "Steel Guitar Unknown Hero's". I try to practice often but many times I just set back and look at the old Sho-Bud sittin' next to the new Carter. I plan to gig a small amount going into next year.

Welcome and Good Luck
TP

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 10:34 am    

For some reason, I can't correct the spelling. It should be:
www.rockcountryhall.com

Sorry 'bout that.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 10:44 am    

Welcome Roger.
My info is at:
< www.clictab.com/tabmenu.htm >

Also listed "Online Steelers" as per Ann's post above.

Have fun and learn like the rest of us.

Roy

[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 30 November 2001 at 10:45 AM.]

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 12:33 pm    

Hi Picker:
Well I as well live in south central Pa. (fayetteville), close to Gettysburg. Been playing a little over 30 years, and still learning. Done my share of Gigs, and treated it like any other job. 100 % business,,,so music has been very good to me in that aspect. just really never made it to the point of calling myself "marketable". I never wanted to be the lead singer in a band,,,,just quite content to sit back and add my feelings to the love of "GOOD" country music...had many steels, but currently play a Derby SD-10, which I Feel is one super fine machine. going thru a profex ll into a nashville 400 and a Fender twin. I get the best of both worlds that way. I use a Boss DR-5 for my Band in a box type of thing. between my regular job I still get between 2 and 3 hrs a day behind my Steel. Wish I could get more, but for now it suits me and the family. maby someday we'll have the pleasure of meeting at one of the Mercer, steel jams.
if you're ever in the area,,,,stop by,,,the coffee is always on and the ice tea is cold. Take care and God bless

Joseph ijsapp@innernet.net
Derby SD-10 4X5 or
Nashville 400
Fender twin derbysd10@hotmail.com
Profex ll
Boss DR-5

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 1:57 pm    

Can't remember not having my little Roy Rogers guitar under my arm trying to learn how to play it. When I'd get tired of that, I'd put the thing under the nut to raise the strings and try to learn to play dobro. Like you with the steel, there wasn't any teachers around, or other guitar players.

I learned more on the dobro first, but switched back to the flat top when my mother bought me a book of chords for the flat top.

I guess the best thing that happened was the book had the scale to learn to run. I really enjoyed doing that and this might sound strange but I learned to play lead first, then rhythm.

Played in a few bands, the last one about five years....every Fri and Sat night plus the weddings etc plus I always had a day job. Had a couple of chances to go on the road, but something in the back of my mind always said no.

I finally got tired of not having any time with my wife and son's and quit playing. For about a year, every two or three weeks I'd go set in with the guys but slowly weaned myself from that high you get from being on stage.

Didn't even own a guitar for about fifteen years and on my 50th birthday my wife bought me one. Forgot how much I missed not having one but had no desire to play the bars again.

Then I bought a used 59 Fender Jaguar, then a Fender Twin amp, then a four track recorder and of course I needed a rack full of equipment then a new Tele and I really enjoyed myself,.

I'd been talking about trying to learn to play the steel, and found a pretty good deal on one down at DE-NO Music in Casa Grande AZ. Told my wife about it and she said, when did you say you were coming down to get it?.

So on Dec 30th, 1997 I became the owner of a Derby Red SD10 Emmons. It's close to the same color as my crimson red Tele.

I can remember when Buddys Expo E9th came In the mail and looked at the tab for "This Cold War With You". I could play some stuff on It, but I sure never thought I'd ever learn to play that. And I still haven't got It all down pat, but I,m happy with what I've learned and It gives me something to look forward to. I stated In another post that I'll be 70 March 3rd, and you have to have something to look forward to when you get up In the morning.

I forgot to say, I bought a new Nashville 400 from Bobby the last part of Oct and sure do like It.

BC.

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 30 November 2001 at 03:48 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 30 November 2001 at 03:51 PM.]

Mark Tomeo

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 2:27 pm    

Hey Rog:
I'm about midway between Wilkes-Barre and Harrisburg (which is to say absolutely nowhere) but play out quite a bit, particularly in the warmer weather.
Bio and band sked at:
www.neon-cactus.com
Get in touch if you're nearby.
Best,
Mark

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 4:09 pm    

Hi Roger, I'm somewhere in between "has been", and "never was" . Welcome to the FORUM. Jody.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 4:54 pm    

Roger:
Don't believe what Jody just said. Heard him play in Knoxville and "has been" he sure ain't.
'Course, if you do believe him, we have us some land for sale way up North for reasonable prices!!

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Steve Frost

Scarborough,Maine
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 5:37 pm    

Roger- my advice is to simply read the Forum for a while. You'll sort out the wheat from the chaff on your own, without the dubious benefit of their own biographies. Just my $.02. It's a great resource... but there are some very negative posts ( and posters) , which you should feel free to disregard. Enjoy the rest!!

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2001 6:50 pm    

Welcome! I'm nobody, but I expect to go far. The forum is a cool place. There are alot of great pickers out there who will share a wealth of information. I only wish I had this forum when I started pedal steel. Been a music student for >30 years. Music school drop-out! Been involved commercially now for about 8 years. But still just enjoy playing and learning. Have Fun!

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2001 8:19 am    

I'm near State College. My online time is too much and my practice is way to little on a Carter Starter.
However swapping stories etc with these guys is a joy

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2001 1:01 am    

Roger: When I got my first pedal guitar, a Fender 1000, I wrote them and asked for the book. They replied, there was no book, would I write one ??

I replied: If I could write a book, would I need ONE ?? So I started writing and playing and I was in Europe at the time and there were no teachers there so I got lost a lot and was wrong a lot but I'm still having fun.

Janice: I was born in Reading Pa but my grand parents were in Altoona. When we would visit them, I'd always get excited as we got near State College because they made airplanes up there somewhere. 30 years in the USAF and 20 in civil avaiation took care of those goose bumps. But I still recall how beautiful it is up in that country.

Regards, Paul

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2001 10:27 pm    

Hi Graham, Thanks for the kind words. I'm still out there pickin'. Best regards, Jody.

[This message was edited by Jody Sanders on 03 December 2001 at 10:36 PM.]

Roger Andrusky

Waterford, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2001 5:33 am    

Cool! Thanks so much for the feedback.
I appreciate getting to know you all a bit better.

I am indeed adding addresses to my address book so I CAN visit some of you if I'm ever in the area! ----Roger

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2001 3:00 pm    

i am everyday People...
this Forum is a Gold Mine Roger...
Welcome and Share what's cookin'
(my Father and Grandpa were from Pittsburgh)
Steel the more the merrier...

Frank

West Memphis, Ar . USofA, where steeling comes natural
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2001 3:16 pm    

Hey Paul,I knew there was something about you I liked.Was Chanute AFB still active when you were In, and being from Pa, did you go through Sampson for basic?
Take care....Frank

[This message was edited by Frank on 04 December 2001 at 03:18 PM.]

[This message was edited by Frank on 04 December 2001 at 03:19 PM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2001 4:07 pm    

Frank; I enlisted in Sep 1949 but I did basic at Lackland and in those days it was still the US Army Air Force or something. A year or some months later it became a sole entity and we got a second set of uniforms and this time they were blue. My first Tech School was at Scott AFB in IL and Chanute was still open then and for a lot of years afterwards. I flew through there on cross country flights more than a few times.

Years later I worked for Simplex Time Recorders in centrol IL and Rantoul was one of my stops.

And all along I though it was your sense of humor that made you shine. Well, actually, you needed a broad sense of fun and laughter to put 30 years in any military outfit. Civil Aviation as well. We used to say FAA was a four letter word !!

Regards, Paul

Frank

West Memphis, Ar . USofA, where steeling comes natural
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2001 6:33 am    

Hi Paul,you went in ahead of me, I "joined up" In 53 and went through basic at Sampson AFB In up state New York, on Lake Geneva I believe, Lord ,what beautiful country that is.
Spent about 23 weeks at Chanute air plane Camp, as we called It, then wound up at Andrews In DC flying "Combat Readiness" for Pentagon Pilots ,then over to Tachi for a while flying our guys outa Korea In a 124 for R&R.
Then It was back to Chanute and over to what was then French Morocco.
Well enough strolling down memory lane for now.
Take care Paul,Enjoyed the chat.
Like my old Pappy said.."Son ,keep It Low and slow, you`ll never go wrong"

Frank.

[This message was edited by Frank on 05 December 2001 at 06:35 AM.]

[This message was edited by Frank on 05 December 2001 at 06:39 AM.]

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2001 9:25 am    

Paul you keep renewing old memories. There wasn't enough uniforms for everyone to change overnight, so initially they just wore "blue ties, belts, caps, socks and black shoes" with the old Army uniforms. Guys stayed up half the night dyeing their brown shoes to black.(I think everyone referred to the change day as black Friday)For the record, I wasn't affected by all that as I remained with the Army. Gene

P.S. Frank another saying back then was: "Maintain thy airspeed lest the ground rise up and strike thee".I remember that short runway at K-San very well as it headed straight for the ocean....I always wondered how many planes never got enough "lift in time!

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 05 December 2001 at 09:28 AM.]

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 06 December 2001 at 05:17 AM.]