The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Todays New Country with steel
KEVIN OWENS

OLD HICKORY TN USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 8:12 am    

I don't think the producers know Lloyd from Buddy. There maybe a few, very few who can capture the essence of Lloyd but, none who sounds like Lloyd. These two statements are opinions. This statement is a fact: They don't have Lloyd, Hal, Buddy, Weldon, etc....imitators but, there sure are a lot of Pete Drake imitators.

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 10:54 am    

Bob,
I hear great steel work on "Shiver" by Jamie O'Neal too! It's so haunting and pretty! It's on my buying list. Don't know who it is playing?
Donny, it seems not alot of you guys listen to radio anymore. So many read the forum,yet never respond. I guess they're busy working playing music.
Theresa

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 05 November 2001 at 11:08 AM.]

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 11:46 am    

Anyone who's complaining about today's country need just listen to a Britney Spears, or a Marilyn Manson CD.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 2:28 pm    

I said my piece earlier, but Bob Hoffnar's transliteration makes more sense now that I look back.

Teresa, I feel like a heathen because I haven't seen the light with the NCS. Sorry, but you aren't going to badger us into listening or liking... I didn't turn it off overnight. I learned that there was nothing of interest going on there by listening and being dissatisfied for YEARS.

I honestly cannot believe your earlier statement that country record sales are at their highest level ever. There must be one or two heavy weights hogging the sales, because everything I read indicates sales are in the tank.

------------------
HagFan

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 3:07 pm    

Ron,
With no disrespect, but how much sales where produced back when your favorite singing was hot?
I never said,"They're at their highest sales".
Theresa

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 05 November 2001 at 03:26 PM.]

Derek Duplessie

La Jolla CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 4:15 pm    

Kevin and Mike,im just saying what I think!!!Can't I give my opinion just like you? By the way I think Buddy Emmons helped
paved the way for the newer cleaner sound
(in my OPINION)you like him don't you!?
-Derek

Derek Duplessie

La Jolla CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 4:18 pm    

I meant to put a smile face on there but
I don't know how to get one on there
-Derek

Derek Duplessie

La Jolla CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 4:20 pm    

I meant to put a smile face on there but
I don't know how to get one on there
-Derek

Derek Duplessie

La Jolla CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 4:21 pm    

Sorry 'bout that
-Derek

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2001 7:29 pm    

Quote:
Can't I give my opinion just like you?

Absolutely, but that's not to say it will be right!
quote:
By the way I think Buddy Emmons helped
paved the way for the newer cleaner sound
(in my OPINION)

Buddy Emmons almost single handedly invented "pedal steel guitar" and the sound we have come to love. He is the one who started out with 6 strings on a board, helped design the Sho~Bud Guitar, almost completely designed the Emmons original guitar, showed us that the steel guitar could fit into other types of music besides country, gave us countless licks and runs that are still perpetual, created a style, sound and tone to die for and still had time to find all those different changes we have on our guitars today. So far, there has been no one who has come close to the contributions that Buddy Emmons has made to steel guitar.
Quote:
you like him don't you!?

Yeah, I guess so!

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 11:50 am    

quote:
please give an example of "modern" steel that's had as much impact as "We Could", "Half a Mind",
"Together Again" , "Bridge Washed Out", etc.....

Few and far between but "Look At Us" just jumps up and smacks me in the face. Are we talking about too much single string work, maybe?

[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 06 November 2001 at 11:55 AM.]

randy

shelbyville, illinois, usa
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 11:59 am    

I remember some time ago,(I stll chuckle when I think about it), someone on the forum commented about some new song that had come out and how terrible the steel licks sounded. It turned out that it was Bruce Bouton. Anyway the first guy tried to get his footing back while also asking Bruce what happened. Bruce said somehting like...It's what the producer wanted.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 3:08 pm    

Theresa,

I wasn't claiming to KNOW the answer, but I have very serious doubts that todays stuff is the top seller in country music history.

This is a only a guess, but I would guess that country music experienced it's largest growth and sales between 1990 and 1995. Perhaps some industry insiders can check the data.

I know I was still well onboard with country radio back then.

Not that total sales matters a hoot to me. I was quite content to support country music as a smaller market. I know that what their buildin', I ain't buyin'.

I don't really want to argue about how "big" so called country is today... My issue is that they didn't have to kill traditional country music. There are, after all, several segments of pop music. Someone might want to consider segmenting and expanding the market.

------------------
HagFan

[This message was edited by Ron Page on 06 November 2001 at 03:09 PM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 3:52 pm    

Ron,
I'm sure you are right on many of your quotes.
I'm still hearing the traditional sounds on the radio, because I listen everyday. The ones that killed it, are sales. It's no ones fault except the buying public. Alot of businesses go out of business new and old because people don't buy. It's America!
Theresa

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 4:25 pm    

Steel players on Jamie O'Neals "Shiver" CD are Dan Dugmore and Paul Franklin.

Theresa: You should have known that!

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 4:40 pm    

Graham,
I don't know everything Thanks, Theresa

Derek Duplessie

La Jolla CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 5:35 pm    

Mike,I'm not trying to state a fact in
everything I say!! I'm simply saying what
I think,just 'cause you don't agree doesn't
make it wrong!!!!!
-Derek

Mike Weirauch

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 8:54 pm    

It's OK Derek. Just remember, had you been right I would have agreed with you.

Quote:
I don't know everything

Theresa, I can't believe I'm agreeing with you again!!!!!

Derek Duplessie

La Jolla CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 10:51 pm    

Mike, you are actually right about the old steel. It was good. Too bad you're wrong about the new steel though---but that's OK---we all can't be right all the time!
-Derek

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 4:31 am    

It is very clear that some on the Forum like todays country and others think that its not country.There is steel in both.This thread along with others like it will never end because we do not agree.Country music is whatever you like.It can be modern rock with a steel lick here or there that makes you wonder what was that or it can be Buck Owens.So listen to your choice.We will never see eye to eye on this topic.

Mike Weirauch

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 8:15 am    

Quote:
but that's OK---we all can't be right all the time!

NOW you have the spirit!!!!! Isn't it fun?

Danny Stinnett

Phoenix, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 11:28 am    

Hi All, I am only 33, so I have not heard a lot of the stuff you all are talking about. However, if you listen to stuff by Alan Jackson, George Strait....some of their signature songs have a lot of steel. One beautiful song that comes to mind is George Straits' "I Just Wanna Dance With You". This song has some great classic steel on it. I think if we get stuck in the rut that all steel guitar has to be the traditional ballad sound (whiny,sad etc [which I happen to love too!])we are not gonna be able to promote our intrument. I do think the tone issues are more what the engineer and producers want. I guess what I am saying is...yeah there is bad country. There always has been, always will, but there still is good stuff coming out.
My .02
Danny

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 2:52 pm    

Never fails! Every time somebody asks about modern "classics"...sombody mentions "Look at Us". Geez guys! That was almost a decade ago! I think it's about time for another one, don't you?

Anyhow, todays steel sound, or rather...the tone, is not new. Listen to some of Curley Chalker's work back in the '70s. Today's tone is about the same as Curley's (his E9th stuff). Sadly, we never heard him do a whole lot of E9th stuff on records. But he definitely had the "sound" that's so big today, IMHO.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 3:33 pm    

Country music sales are only 6% of the market today(as stated by Billboard magazine).Still declining.Obviously the producers and players,promoters,writers or SOMEone is doing something diffrently than in the past when country had 21% of the market. Naturally it's not all the steel players fault doing the sessions,although I'm not ever hearing anything that makes me want to keep listening to a country station.
An oldie country station? Yep! Weldon with Connie Smith,Buddy with Ray,Jimmy Day with Charlie Walker,Hal with Loretta,Even Pete Drake was a icon compared to most of this playing on todays records. Seems like every record was a great steel guitar playoff! This is when country had the largest portion of the market! Get rid of the steel guitar and fiddle and see what happend? Duane, your right! That whinny first string pulling up from F# to G# at every lick makes me sick. This lick alone on every record coming out of this town is enough to set country music back 50 years! In my opinion-------I'm going to shut up. I,just like everyone I talk to, is ready for a refreshing change in county music. Tommy White could be the correct step in the right direction.He plays with great taste,Original licks,very dominant,and not trying to be and old rehashed somone or other from a time gone by, rather,a dynamic great new comercial , punchem' in the nose steel player!!!! He may be very instrumental in saving, or helping to save "OUR" country music. Just as Big "E" did in days gone by. And still could do if he wanted to! Anyway Tommy White, you got the ball, we are all watching and waiting!----
Silas Humphammer

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 10:11 pm    

My God this is depressing.But the up side is, it could save you money.Think about it.Why should (we) guys,the ones who only want to hear the old stuff, go out and spend 3 grand+ for a new PSG? It's all in the hands anyway, and chances are the sounds we like best where done on an old PP or Sho~Bud or maybe MSA.
I understand Bobbe's doing a new CD.I think he wrote he was going to use his old PP and maybe a Fender Twin to capture the sound of that era.Not a Legrande II and Nashville 1000.Thinking about it,I can't disagree.
So maybe we should save our money for the kids,or grand-kids education?Buy the wife something nice?If it's the old sounds your into? Chances are you already own equipment that will get closer to the sound in your head than the newer equipment will.Then again maybe not.The new Country stinks,the old Country's dead.Soo,save your money?Take up guitar or drums? Change the world?? Or maybe change with it?