The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GREAT C6th music!!!
Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 12:21 am    

In a recent thread, Doyle Huff provided a url which I decided to check out.
www.waltersclan.com/jd&linda/

Never heard of this player and don't know if he's a pro - but he SHOULD be. His full chords are really something to hear! And the songs he has made available on the site are a wonderful collection of, mostly, old pop standards that are perfect for his style.

Al Marcus -- give a special listen, as I'm sure you in particular would appreciate these songs and sounds.

The songs are MP3's around 3 or 4 MB in length so they may take a few minutes to download. But they're worth it! You might also try 'opening' rather than 'saving' the file(s) in order to play but may experience some bandwidth buffering. --Everett

Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 7:20 am    

C-1399 JOHNNIE LEE WILLS BAND W/ J D WALTERS ON STEEL.
Need I say more?
OK, I'll say more:
Album available from:
http://www.flash.net/~frenchys/frenchy.html

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 11:01 am    

Oh, heck yeah. JD is a monster... we did a few shows together in the 70's when I was with Alvin Crow and JD was Freddie Hart's bandleader.

Then he wised up and got a serious career in the real world doing something society values. We ran into each other a few years ago in Tulsa at the OSGA show, and trust me, he is STILL a monster!

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 3:22 pm    

JD Walters played at the Mass Steel Bash back in the early 80's. He was living in Rhode Island and he had recently retired from the road and gotten a "real job". He brought his whole band to the Bash and he played some great C6 stuff, including a note for note rendition of Buddy's "At E's". I interviewed him and did a feature article on him for a New England magazine called the Country Music Record. Man, that seems like a lifetime ago! JD is one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.

------------------
My Site

Doug's Free Tab

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 4:13 pm    

Everett-Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out. Those old pop standards are what I like so well......al

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 4:18 pm    

I'm listening to all the tracks now and they're great! Gotta love this cable modem, I can listen to them in real time while they download, then save the files to disk in no time flat!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 6:22 pm    

Sounds good...I'm 'a gonna buy that 'un!

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 8:20 pm    

Everett, I just downloaded one.
JD is an old timer and a great player. I heard his "Unforgettable" and it is great arrangment.

I wish I had a backup band playing behind me like that. Wow! I better check out some of those others that I am familiar with, "Moonglow", "Stardust", "Serenade in Blue"........al

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 12:35 pm    

I'm moving this to "Steel Players".

Ben Jack

Fayettevillle, Ar. * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 3:09 pm    

Does anyone know J.D.s E-Mail address? Are all these songs on one C.D.

Thanks, Ben Jack

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 4:42 pm    

Me too! What a great sound! Beautiful styling! What fine balance. I want this CD! Where can I get a copy of it and how much? HELP!

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 4:34 am    

Ben Jack didn't mention it, but he recorded/engineered/mixed at least one Johnny Lee Wills album at his studio back in the early 1980's, "Dance All Night, with Johnny Lee Wills and his boys".

The musicians on that album would all make the western-swing A list. (Gene Crownover played on that album though instead of J.D. Walters) www.genejones.com

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 17 November 2001 at 04:35 AM.]

Ben Jack

Fayettevillle, Ar. * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 7:00 am    

Gene, thanks for remembering, I also done one on LEON McCAULIFF AND THE ORIGINAL TEXAS PLAYBOYS AND THE ELDON SHAMBLIN ALBUM among others that I cant remember, ha ha , I'm getting old and I sold the studio many years ago. I'm going to go visit Bob White today in Ft. Smith and will report on his condition Sunday Morn.

Ben Jack

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 8:47 am    

Went to the site.all I get is PAGE CANNOT BE FOUND.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 11:40 am    

Bobby, I was able to get it yesterday, but now I can't either.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 12:08 pm    

LIkewise! Page can't be found; and no beautiful music cometh forth as did yesterday.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 6:07 pm    

"Quicktime" took over and worked for a while,
but then started getting all goofed up. I put Quicktime on to hear that Lobster-Movie- Django stuff.
I can't find anywhere within QT to stop it from taking over.
Windows Media Player should have played JD's files, right? WMP plays all my audio stuff....now there's a conflict with QT...or
was...I removed QT.

Has anyone else had this conflict, too?

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 9:05 pm    

When you installed Quick Time you should have checked only the formats you wanted it to play. I listened to the clips with Real Audio.

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2001 12:23 am    

To all-- I've emailed JD and implored him to get his page back up. (Also invited him to join the group.) Hope he replies. --Everett

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2001 3:28 pm    

THANK YOU Everett! I've been going nutts trying to bring that page up once again. I only got to hear about six of those fabulous tunes and simply can't wait to be exposed to the rest of them. What really classy playing. His tone and execution are superb!
Either he has to come back on the InterNet or I have to have the CD. One way or the other something HAS to occur in this regard.

Doyle Huff

Broken Arrow, OK USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2001 4:17 pm    

To define J.D. Walters as a pro< I have two things to say, he played steel for Freddie Hart and Billie Jo Spears which would make him a Working pro. Now that he has a "real job" as someone mentioned,he is still a pro as those of who have heard him play well know. He is working with a top band in Tulsa, working also with Hank Thompson when Hank Performs in this area, plus he works with some of the other bands in this area. What you heard on the wsebsite is not on a CD for sale. The songs you hear is a project he has whated to do for a long time. Most of the backup is from a midi file or songs he arranged on Band In The Box. His son played drums on some of the songs and a local guitar player played on some of them. There is also a copy of The Heartbeats album they cut when he was with Freddie. The Female singer on the MP3's is his wife except for one of them (not sure with out looking which one). The songs were done in his back bed room. J.D> is the best friend I have in the steel guitar world and I'm pleased to hear you share my opinion of him.
Doyle

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2001 7:03 pm    

DOYLE.......THANK YOU for all of the great information about this super fine stylist.
NOW, what happened on the home page? Why can't we get to it anymore? Will we ever be able to get back to it? What if we want and need to hear this mans' wonderful music? How can we get to his play list once again? Inquiring minds WANT TO KNOW and we're all lost in the dark. I'm as excited about getting to hear all of his fine recordings as I was to hear "BLUE" by the LeAnn Rimes...

Doyle Huff

Broken Arrow, OK USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2001 7:52 pm    

Ray
I'm sure the website will up and running in the future. His son is the one who put the website together and he may be updating. I'll talk to J.D. tomorrow and I'll try to let you know.

Doyle Huff

Broken Arrow, OK USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 7:06 am    

To Ray and all the ships at sea, I talked to J.D. this morning. He called his son and the website should be up sometime today. He was very appreciative of all the comments and compliments. Someone asked about an e-mail address. There is one on the website.
Doyle

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 6:23 pm    

THANK YOU Doyle Huff. No better news could be heard. I've just got hear the rest of this talented musicians song list as was posted on his home page. Great News! Thanx for taking care of things for us Doyle.