The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  El Rancho Grande.....Jimmy & Leon Short
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 12:02 am    

Might any of you fine Forumites out there have a copy of the above tune? It's an oldy most likely on a 45 or 78 rpm disc. Would appreciate securing a casette of this one.
THANKS!

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 8:50 am    

...while you're at it Ray, how about including a copy of "As Long As I Live" also.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Cliff LaBombard

New Port Richey, Fl Pasco
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 4:01 pm    

Not exactly this subject but what ever happened to Jimmy & Leon Short ? Was telling my son about them the other day.

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 4:15 pm    

I've been wondering the same thing. How about some of your Forum Historians out there? You have some inquiring minds here; both are looking for answers that likely, only you will have. We're waiting!!

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 7:48 pm    

When they left Ernest Tubb, they went to Baltimore, Md. and worked at a club on hwy 301 south. I am not sure but I think it was called "Club 301." This was 1952. Haven't heard from them since. Sure would love to have a copy of the movie "Hollywood Barn Dance" that was sort of a fictional Bio of ET. Musicians used for that move as the "Texas Troubadors" were Jimmy Short on lead guitar, Leon Short rythm guitar, "Red" Heron fiddle and I think Jack Drake on upright bass and the great Jerry Byrd on steel. Music was great but the story was weak.

------------------

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 12:15 am    

Okay there, Mr. Historian Kenny Dail....
Where do you suppose we dedicated JB fans could search out a copy of that there movie?
Thanx for the input on the Short Bros. Much appreciated.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 7:11 am    

Asearch revealed:

Jimmy and Leon Short Western Swing Band
In the early 50's, Jimmy & Leon Short left Ernest Tubb and came to Houston to form a band with Frank Juricek ex- Leon Payne’s Lone Star Buddies. The Jimmy and Leon Short Western Swing Band and toured as far as New York, although Juricek quit to perform in houston and in 1953 he became a Design draftsman and Graphic Artist. He later formed his own Hawaiian music group called The Tradewinds in 1960, later recording with George Jones, Charlie Walker, Hank Locklin, Link Davis, Harry Choats and Jimmy & Leon Short. And has played with T. Tex Tyler, Hank Williams, Tex Ritter, Jimmy Wakley, Grandpa Jones, Floyd Tillman, Jerry
Jericho and more at the Houston Colliseum and the Houston Music Hall. Frank is now retired, but stays busy with his music. He plays steel guitar for his church in Brenham and plays once a month for the Giddings Opry. Frank is a member of the Texas Sagebrush Band at the COLUMBUS OPRY where his cheery
personality had earned the name 'Smilin' Frank Juricek'. You can hear Frank every Saturday night at the COLUMBUS OPRY in 2001.

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2001 9:45 am    

Jason, as stated in my last post...I don't know where Jimmy and Leon went from Baltimore but, I was stationed At Ft. Meade, Md. from April of 1952 until I was released from active duty on Dec. 11 same year. Jimmy and Leon were playing on the outskirts of Baltimore at that time in the above mentioned club. I don't where they went from there but I persona;;y stopped and listened and spoke with them personally at that time.

Ray, I would contact the "Ernest Tubb Record Shop" for a copy of this movie. If they don't have it available..they might be able to point you to place where it can be bought. Let me know if you find a copy...

------------------

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2001 3:23 pm    

Many thanx to Jason and Kenny. I asked for some history, and right here on b0b's wonderful Forum, I got it. You two fellows are amazing. Simply amazing. Thank you and everyone else so very much.
If I think of another question, may I ask it?

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2001 3:47 pm    

Ray, I found my copy of "Hollywood Barn Dance at Down Home Music in El Cerrito, Ca. (510)525 - 2129. Cost about $20.00. Nice people. Warning - they don't give Jerry a solo !

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2001 8:12 pm    

Dave, you are right...Jerry does not solo but he is heard in some of the music throughout the movie. And he is playing a "Rick" bakelight.

------------------

[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 18 November 2001 at 08:14 PM.]

Cliff LaBombard

New Port Richey, Fl Pasco
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 3:01 am    

Thanks a lot fellows for all the good info.
Still does anyone know their whereabouts at the present time ?