The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I'm Home from my last tour ever.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 12:49 pm    

Well just flew in from Stockholm last night and wanted to say thanks to everyone keeping track of the Dale Watson European tour and coming out to the gigs. There were a few good gigs and we had some laughs..but all and all it was uneventful as far as progression in touring in general.
This tour was more painful that all the rest; simply because it was no better than the rest. Money/travel/venues...are suppose to be getting better with everytime you tour; but in this small world we live in; it's not.
So Dale Watson has cancelled all touring indiffinatly. Sorry to the folks out west that were counting on us this Nov. and Dec....we have cancelled that whole tour. Sorry to the folks in Australia for the tour in Jan....but we cancelled that too.
Real country music just does not pay...never has and never will...but we are finally seeing the advantages to keeping our narrow butts home in Texas...as opposed to trying to tour the world for no more money but alot more headaches in travel and pay.
But we will play the Opry from time to time and we have a DVD coming out that we just recording in Holland; and a few other select showcases....but other than that...if ya want to see and hear the Dale Watson band...you have to cart yourself to our neck of the woods and we'll treat ya right.
I still love the Steel guitar and playing it; and still want to be a big part in the Steel guitar forum and giving what I can to the community; so if there is anything I can ever do for my fellow Forumites...just ask and the answer is yes..
Thanks to the internet; I can still stay in contact with my fellow steel players and our fans around the world and that will always continue;....but I am sorry that my body won't be around the world as often as I would have liked.
Ricky

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 1:10 pm    

Ricky, I've found that as I've gotten older the money thing (or lack of it) seems to drive home with the ongoing years. You get tired of slugging your ass out for nothing, when you can stay at home and net the same or more. It's a passage of time thing. Have fun staying in Texas, love to see and meet you guys sometime.
John.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 1:12 pm    

Sounds like it must be very frustrating and disappointing, welcome home.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 1:40 pm    

Sorry to hear the tour didn't go as expected.

I used to hear the "no more road" all the time when I was in Nashville and the next thing I would hear is so and so went back on the road. Once it's in your blood you can't let go.

Maybe I'll get a chance to see y'all in central Fla sometime.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 1:49 pm    

Quote:
Once it's in your blood you can't let go.

Oh, yeah? Au contraire, mon ami Jacques!

I haven't been on a band road trip longer than 4 days in length in 22 years. I know where Ricky is coming from. He and Dale won't quit picking, but there is plenty of work just here around Texas/Oklahoma/Louisiana for a small band to eke out as dismal a living as they would half-way around the increasingly dangerous world.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 2:07 pm    

Hi Rick, good to know at least you got back home safe.Hate to hear that thing's were a dissapointment for the Dale Watson tour.I only wish that I lived next door to you.You might could re-kindle the fire under me that I once had for practiceing at home on my steel.We play the same old licks,same old song's.What country we play,I would call it fairground country.Not good honkytonk music.
It seem's so hard to find any place around here that wants real down to earth country music.
Most place's seem like they want dope smokeing rock and blue's.I'm country to the bone ,even if the radio ai'nt
Our band has to play this mess just to survive.I have to sing alot of the old rock and blue's.I used to pratice on my steel all the time.I wonder sometime's if I'm burn't out on music all togather?? I'd much rather just play country for somebody else like you do.
As the great Johnny Cash put in a song he sang WHERE DID ALL THE GOOD SONG'S GO?????
Sorry for all the rattleing Rick

------------------
BJ Bailey

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 2:28 pm    

Good to have you back Ricky. You seemed a little ambivalent about taking that trip before you left. Mostly about flying right after the attack, not to mention the pay and hotels, etc. I don't know how much you guys make on a typical tour, but my experience has been, not much more or less than any other gig in town. I think we are blessed here in Texas to have so many venues to play, that you guys could work 200+ dates a year and never leave the state. And I know Dale could pack the house in most of these venues. I'm sure that was a tough decision, but we will benefit by getting to see you more here at home. Good luck.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 2:31 pm    

Ever is a long time.

Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 2:35 pm    

Ricky!!!!!
I´m sure very thanksful that you and Dale got here anyway, and I´m really not the only one - but I know we aren´t many enough to make a large enough audience. Thanks for a greeeeat show in Gävle, and I hope that you get insane enough temporarily to come here at least some more time in the future! I´ll be right there!
I´ve just mailed 3 picture heavy mails to you, so check your mailbox!
You can hardly imagine what a great time we have listening to a gig like yours in Gävle! It´s everyday experience for you, but it´s a unuique experience for us scattered music enthusiasts up here in this remote corner of northwestern Europe! You are surrounded by good music, and we can listen to a great act like this one maybe 3 or 4 times per year - and then I include gigs whithin 8 hours distance by car!
Dale has been horribly hit by bad luck, so I can very easily understand his decision to stay at home with the kids from now on, but still I hope that there are other good country musicians that´ll blow our way in the future too.
Thanks again + Bye for now!
Anders Brundell
thanksful and right now very inspired steel fumbler way up north.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 3:03 pm    

Hey Ricky,
Glad you made it home safe on that airliner to good old Texas. I think you'll like it better at home for sure. I left LA in '75 and moved to Wichita Falls for about a year to work with a band back there. It was so much different than the music scene on the coast. I don't know if it's still the same or not but they had artists who made good bucks, got their records played on the radio, and never left Texas. I'm still kicking my self in the A$$ for leaving. Herb, I'm glad that when you left LA for Texas you had the good sense to stay there.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 30 October 2001 at 03:05 PM.]

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 3:17 pm    

Sorry to hear it was such a drag, Ricky.

I totally understand, though. Road life is pretty rough even for decent money. (Not that I ever really got even what anyone in their right mind would call decent money... )

...Anyhew, I'm glad you all made it back safe and sound. Welcome home!

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 4:09 pm    

Ricky.....your decision is a good one, you will never regret it....a three day weekend is long enough to tour! www.genejones.com

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 4:41 pm    

I'm glad you are back Ricky, give me a holler when you have time.
Jerry

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 8:22 pm    

Welcome back my friend! I'll try to book your weary butt in OKC again. Me & Gene will come make faces at you!

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 10:09 pm    

Hi Ricky,

sad to hear that,
but I'm glad we met in Amsterdam.
you're stay was too short to have some fun, but I'm glad to call you a friend of mine.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom

[This message was edited by Marco Schouten on 31 October 2001 at 03:53 AM.]

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2001 1:30 am    

Ah well ... still, thanks for all the great gigs over the years here. Good luck.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2001 4:14 am    

I'll sure go with you Kenny....just let me know when! www.genejones,com

clive swindell

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2001 4:25 am    

Nice to meet you Ricky - thanks for the great show in Sheffield, UK.

Are you going to the Dallas show?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2001 7:00 am    

Hey everybody; thanks for the nice welcome home and understanding.

Anders; what you said there really is what makes it hard not to tour. There are so many around the world that do not get to experience this kinda music live; and they are few but they are mighty.

Kenny; book it man...it would be great to see you and Gene and the faces ya'll can possibly make

Clive I hope to go to Dallas and they asked me last year if I would play the show; but haven't heard anything yet. If I don't play the show, then I'm sure I'll stop in between gigs that I'm sure I'll be playing that weekend.

Again; thank you everyone for your support and just come to Texas if your not already here.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 02 November 2001 at 12:45 AM.]

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2001 7:20 am    

Ricky,
please don't hold this against me, but I don't believe in your decision now .
I'm shure I see you back on the tullip-fields in a few years time. (If not, do I have to fill to shoes? )Please, say hi to Dale for me....
Don't give me a hard time, pal
cya (for shure!)
Johan

------------------

STEELDAYS 2002
my web-site
my bands CODand TSC

[This message was edited by Johan Jansen on 31 October 2001 at 07:23 AM.]

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2001 1:02 pm    

Hi Ricky. Sorry about the tour, and I'm glad ya'll made it home safely. I crossed that same bridge about 2 years ago. And at my age, I am probably off the road for good. Thank the LORD, I have found work in a 4 piece band that works about 10 gigs per month, and it is traditional country. Never out more than 1 overnight, so hopefully I can pick into the sunset with this group, do the steel guitar shows, and keep the SE Texas Steel Guitar Club alive. Best regards, Jody.

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2001 11:32 pm    

Hey Rick
Sorry to hear you won't be coming down to OZ.I saw you last time at the Melbourne Show and the Esplanade Hotel and was pleased to hear some REAL music.I hope it works out well for you&Dale.
Regards Brendan

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2001 3:25 am    

You know,looking back on it....the BEST gig I ever had wasn't all that great most of the time

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2001 2:13 pm    

Here I've been waiting for a return engagement in the Cincinnati/Northern KY area. Guess I'll just have to get down Texas way.

Perhaps a trip to Scotty's in St. Louis would be a good venue for DW.

I've been playing the hell out of Cheatin' Heart Attack lately. Of course, more of the same is on my Christmas list.

------------------
HagFan

Gerard Rowan

Australia
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2001 7:12 pm    

Hey Ricky
Sorry to hear you won't be making it down to Australia again.
I can understand your decision, though.
Hopefully I'll catch you and Dale in Texas sometime.
Thanks for all your great tablature and helpful posts on the Forum.