The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beck tuning
bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2001 3:11 pm    

While cleaning out my office I ran across Zane Becks tuning he sent me just before he past away. I thought you U12 guys would like to see it. If you have never heard Zane play you should pick up one of his records. They should still be available from Scotty or Beck insturments. He plays,Stars fell on Alabama on one record. The cords he gets with this tuning just knocks me out. The cord inversions he uses are very different than the E9th or C6th tunings.

1 G# A A
2 F# G
3 E Eb F F#
4 C# D D D#
5 B C# C
6 G# F# A A
7 F# F F
8 D Eb E
9 B C# Bb
10G# G A
11E Eb C#
12B Bb
LKL LKV LKR 1 2 3 4 RKL RKR

Fred Layman

Springfield, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2001 7:10 pm    

Does anyone play the Beck tuning with an Emmons sequence on the first three pedals rather than the Day setup? What is the schematic (copodent) on that?

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2001 7:44 pm    

I met Zane Beck in Napa .Calif at Tom Bradshaw's First West Coast steel show in 1968. He personally gave me his tuning and I was going over my papers, and there it was. I have it! Written out by him. I use a tuning very much like his with the C# in between the E and B. He was ahead of his time a great player and a great guy.....al

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2001 2:28 am    

Zane King, a former student of Zane Beck plays this tuning. Zane King used to play at the ISGC, but I haven't seen him in quite some time.

Roger

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2001 4:36 am    

Zane Beck was a wonderful person. He always was willing to help others and there was an humbleness about him that set him apart from so many of the other steelers.

He built great steel guitars for so many over the years, the ZB Steel Guitars and later the BMI (Beck Musical Instruments) Steel Guitars. I know that he built several steels for Julian Tharpe, Speedy West, Herb Remington, Tom Brumley and others. I believe he built four or five for Julian.

I owned three of his later BMI steels. The last one he custom built for me like Julian's. I don't play Zane's tuning. Zane King a fine steeler played it years ago, and is the only one that I know of who played it.

Zane gave me several tips about playing steel and about playing professionally. The last time I saw him, he sat down played the 14 stringer he'd made for me, and he picked a great rendition of "JESUS LOVES ME." I had commented that I would have him build me another steel later on. He looked at me and said this steel has more pulls on it than any guitar I've ever made and it will last you the rest of your life. That was 17 years ago. Zane was right. Little did I know that it would be the last time, I'd visit him at his house or ever see him again. It was almost like he'd had a premenition about his future. If you have a loved one or a friend tell that you care about them and pray for them. It may be the last time you see them, in this life.

Those who haven't heard Zane's recordings need to give them a listen. He played for several well known Country singers too. My favorite album is his last one titled "Tribute to Zane Beck." These albums and tapes are available through his wife Faye Beck Milsap at BMI Steels in Little Rock, AR and Scotty may have copies of it too.

"Tribute to Zane Beck," was his last and I think his best recordings. They were recorded quite by accident and there is something about these that sets them apart from all his other previously recorded material.It's just Zane, his Keyless 12 stringer, the bassist and a drummer. Nothing is needed or desired on these recordings.

GOD bless,

Terry J. Wood
Heavenly Math
3 Nails + 1 Cross = 4 Given

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2001 6:33 am    

Fred, I think you would filp the LKL and The LKR. Then Flip pedal 2 and 4 Then pedal 1 would be put in pedal 4's position.

Terry, From what I understand about that record It was just a practice session for the record. Well the record never got made so His wife released the practice session. You can hear Zane , or someone counting off the song. I think this just adds to the record. Terry see if you can find some of the cord inversions he uses on Stars fell on Alabama. They're not on my guitar.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2001 6:42 am    

There was another young man that Zane was teaching and he played Zane's tuning. I think his name was Blake Fourgerouse, I hope that is how he spells it. He was very good also. I haven't seen him in many years so I don't know if his is still playing or not. I think he was just 14 or 15 the last time he played at the convention with Zane. If he is still playing he must really be good now.

I think Zane got Randy Beavers started playing. I don't know if he started on Zane's tuning or not. But he's another great player that we don't hear enough from.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2001 8:24 pm    

Yeah Bob your right. I had forgot about Blake and Beavers. I know that Zane produced Beavers first L.P. cause he gave me a copy of it when I visited at his house.

I really dig the "Tribute To Zane Beck," L.P.

These are available from Mrs. Faye Beck Milsap at:

Faye Beck Milsap
Beck Musical Instruments
20711 Arch Street Pike
Little Rock, AR 72206

Phone for Beck is 501-888-5048.

You'll find that Mrs. Beck is a very friendly and kind person. I highly recommend everyone to hear Zane's great pickin' on this L.P. or tape. These are not available on CD format.

GOD bless you all!

Terry J. Wood
Heavenly Math
3 Nails + 1 Cross = 4 Given