The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Last Hired & First Fired
Quesney Gibbs

Anniston, AL
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 3:06 am    

The subject line says it all. In most cases that's the way it is for most steel players. Any comments?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 3:11 am    

We've discussed this before. Seems like most times the steel player is the expendible member of the band. Most bands want one but a lot can't afford another player and if they can't they go without the steel.

I've also been asked to double on lead guitar sometimes. I did some jobs for a guy last winter that I had to double on both lead and steel as the jobs didn't pay enough to have both a lead and steel.

Steven Knapper

Temecula Ca USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 5:48 am    

Yeah Jack, very true. But what about us guys that are just journeymen rhythm players??? I haven't and never will be a full tilt lead player.

Jim West

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 5:58 am    

I knew a steel player years ago that played in the Oceanside, CA area by the name of John Wolf. John could cover any style of music with anything from straight ahead E9 steel, to jazz, swing, blues etc. and he did it with banjo rolls, overdrive guitar effects and a number of other effects incorporated into his nightly routine.

Bottom line; Guitar players, Drummers, fiddlers, keyboards, singers etc. came and went but John held that gig for 18 years!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 6:11 am    

Steve, I don't consider myself a "lead" picker. I was back in the 60's, and my lead picking is still back there too.

A couple Johnny "Trash" and a few 60's rock songs is enough, everything else I can do on steel (I can even do some of the others but most can't comprehend the steel doing Folsom Prison Blues or Johnny B Goode).

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 6:30 am    

Are you saying being last/first is a bad thing or a good thing? In my case, it's good. I won't work for a band as a new project or startup. I have become tired of starting over, especially at my age. My whole deal is, if your band or act is fully functional (touring, selling product, have a name), and you want me to work with you, give me your CD's, I will learn them, perform them, tour with you, etc. As long as those things keep happening, I will work for you. But as soon as things get weird musically or personally, I'm out and on to the next project. So, I guess last/first is OK with me.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 7:27 am    

What Chris Said! I too find this an advantage. I like playing with the bands who are established enough to give the players CD's and say "We are playing tracks 1 and 2 Friday night, Learn it." Everybody listens and Friday night, we do the songs. No fuss No Hassle.

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 8:12 am    

Buck played his Tele and Don Rich played the fiddle for quite a while, even though Don could play it better than Buck. Couldn't afford to pay another fiddle player. Later as we all know Buck played his red, white and blue guitar.

Buck owns KNIX radio station in Phoenix and i have a big 20th year belt buckle with that guitar on it. Got it close to 20 years ago, so i guess he's had it about 40 years now. Been offered $200.00 for it but i still have it.

Bob Carlson.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 10:22 am    

Huh????????????

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 2:39 pm    

Chris,
Are you trying to tell me something, or is the neddle stuck.

It's ok to speak up because I don't even allow myself to dislike anyone. Everyone on the Forum might not be my friend, but i'm there friend.

Bob Carlson.

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 25 October 2001 at 03:43 PM.]

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 3:38 pm    

Eighteen years is a long gig! I've held a few for a few years but that's too long for me. Tommy Whites dad Bubba held a gig longer than that in the same band at The Do Drop Inn in Louisville. I'm not sure but it seems like it was 23 years or something like it. Tommy if I'm wrong about this I'm sure you know and can set it straight. I can't remember the name of that band anymore.

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 8:19 pm    

Most pickers ain't been married that long!

Bob Carlson

Frank

West Memphis, Ar . USofA, where steeling comes natural
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 8:35 pm    

I`ll tell you something about wives and bands,Some times they just don`t gee haw together, But I`m sure most of you guys know that.
IMHO, It takes a special lady to put up with a musician let alone a whole band.

[This message was edited by Frank on 25 October 2001 at 09:37 PM.]

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 9:39 pm    

Bob, Buck no longer owns KNIX. He sold it for $80 million dollars about 3 or 4 years ago. He now can afford more musicians but won't. His band members work at Buck's other business enterprises during the week and then play the Crystal Palace on the weekends for peanuts.

John Neff

Athens, GA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2001 10:31 pm    

What Chris said 2 posts ago. Remember that you play the @#$!&%* pedal steel guitar! A decent player will always find the next gig in less time than a guitar player will. At least that's how it's been in this part of the world for this mediocre player.

John

Rodney Shuffler

Montgomery, Texas USA (Home of the Bears)
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2001 4:22 am    

I'm a long way from schooled in Buck-ology, but it was my understanding that Don was not the guitar player we all know when he met up with Buck.......Buck schooled him some on the guitar end of it. Buck had already been layin' that sound down in the studio for other artists before Don came along.

I read that in some bigraphical notes...maybe in the box set....can't really remember now.

* Note for Jimmie Misenheimer- The above is my disclaimer...I'm not stating this as fact or saying I was there......just passing on what I read.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2001 5:28 am    

To Jim West:

Hey Jim and anyone who knew John Wolf,
Johnny Wolf moved back to his home state of Virginia after living and working in southern California for many years. I'd met him out there years ago and was glad to see him again. I was doing a gig in Virginia Beach one night when he happened to drop in. We shot the bull for a while and he told me he'd been having kidney problems. Johnny got progressively worse and eventually had to go on dialysis about 3 days a week or so. I think they eventually removed both of his kidneys and he passed away about 5 or 6 years ago. He was a hot player for sure. At an afternoon jam session one Sunday at the beach there were a few steel players there. Ol' John showed up with a 6 string Fender lap steel and blowed everyone away. We hear about the double 10/Universal flak all the time. Johnny played both D10, U12, and lap steel and never had a problem playing anything he wanted to on either. He was a great player who's missed around here and would have taken the steel to some new levels if he'd only been heard on a national level. I think the only player around who had the same attitude is maybe Joe Wright who plays anything he wants and does it well. John could play chuck Berry stuff, Clapton style guitar, Maurice Anderson style jazz, Ralph Mooney or even Joe Maphis style flat pickin'. But with all the diversity in his playing he still sounded like himself. I saw Joe Wright in a side room at the convention one year and he really impressed me a lot.....

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 26 October 2001 at 06:33 AM.]

Jim West

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2001 5:49 am    

Jerry

Thanks for the kind remarks about my old pal John Wolf.

I remember working at Oceanside Music Supply (Barbara Mandrell's dad used to be part owner of that store)and John Wolf would come in and buy a load of string every couple a weeks or so. He was fanatical about tone and never let his strings get old, changed them constantly. I sold him his Fender 2000 in 1970. He liked the Fenders because the string spacing was a little wider.

John had a girlfriend but lived by himself. He would tell me that he would practice 4-6 hours a day and sometimes more and it sure showed when he would sit down behing that steel. He was also very good with electronics and would build amps and keep them in good repair.

John was always the nicest guy a would let just about anybody on stage to play with him. He and his playing will be missed. To those who never heard him play you really missed something. John was one of the great players but to those around him he always downplayed his amazing abilities.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2001 6:07 am    

I had bands where I only had a Steel instrument as the lead when things were tight, of course they were good and played some lead Guitar also, but the steel was 80% of the sets.I credit Jim Smith who stuck with me when we lost our Lead player"doc" Peters to the Nashville scene in 79.Jim who now resides in Texas played with the fullness and fills that kept us working steady all over New England until we found the replacement we needed. People like Sammy (who the hell is)Gibson can sound like a whole band in itself plays in trios for as long as I can remember and does it without any holes left open in his groups sound..As a Singer I never grew out of the goose bumps a Pedal Steel gives me on those sweet intros and fills.

------------------
CJC

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2001 6:45 am    

Gosh Joe, (gulp!) THANKS!!!

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@home.com
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden Ext. E9/U-13 8&8=-

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2001 10:44 am    

Rodney,
The way I read It In "Country Music", they ask someone 20 questions, Buck said In six months time after Don started playing with him, he could play everything Buck could play on guitar. He didn't say he had taught him, I took It that he just learned guitar that eazy. Six months later he could play way over Buck's head.

My guess Is Don composed Buckaroo.

Bob Carlson.

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 26 October 2001 at 11:48 AM.]

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2001 10:55 am    

Gary,
Thanks for the update on KNIX and Buck. It seems like the more some folks get, the more they want.

I'm still purty proud of that belt buckle.

When I get that new amp, If Seymore ever gets It here, I ordered It two days ago, maybe you could stop by the house and show me a couple more licks.

I could play Togather Again If I started on the high G, and Gary showed me how to drop down one and use the A pedal so I can play It In C#.

Bob Carlson.

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 26 October 2001 at 12:13 PM.]

Rodney Shuffler

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2001 11:41 am    

Nope, Don didn't write it. I'll have to check the liner notes on that one..that's one I do remeber, because I had always figured he did as well. I was surprised to find out Don didn't write it.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2001 1:35 pm    

Bob Morris wrote "Buckeroo." Bob also wrote "Helpless," and many other great Bakersfield-type hits. He passed away a little while ago in Missouri.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Rodney Shuffler

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2001 3:11 pm    

And Herb gets the cigar!! I wasn't fast enough. Rod

------------------
Rod's Place