The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  dubbel-neck steelcases much to heavy
Hans Drissen

Amsterdam - Netherlands
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2001 11:52 am    

I just wonder if there are any steelguitarmanufacturers who deliver their new dubbelneck guitars in TWO cases; one for the steel and one for the rest including volumepedal. I have a Franklin D-10 and had several other dubbelneck guitars. All of them
come in just one case. Walking in and out, up and downstairs several times a week with these heavy steels is giving me some serious
back trouble. I seriously hope that all the manufacturers pick up this (not new)idea and do somthing with it. Anyone of you guys with backaches thanks to carrying these steels ???
(Correction, I rember Fender builded 2 cases
in the early days.) Hans.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2001 12:53 pm    

Hans, Bob Dell built me a two case set and it really helps. One case fits the guitar and is set up with velcro blocks so I can carry either a LeGrande or Push Pull in the case. The other case is for the pedalbar, legs and rods. It is a very good way to go.
Jerry Roller

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2001 1:06 pm    

Hans,

I am thinking along the same lines as you...two cases. In the next couple days I will be receiving a catalog from a company that makes aluminum cases for guns, musical instruments, etc. They have some stock sizes in inventory and will finish the interior of the case to fit whatever you want to put in it. If the cases look promising, I will send the info on to you. I play D-10 and it weights a ton!! Time to "split" the difference!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2001 2:01 pm    

Hans, what kind of case do you have for your Franklin? I have a Franklin D-10 and it came with a fibre case similar to the old Sho-Bud cases. The case is relatively light and with the steel in the case it's less than 50lbs.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 8:31 am    

I have double cases for my Sho Bud Pro III and it is much easier for us old guys to carry around. These were made by Edgar Pro Case. W.C. can make cases for anything and when you get them, they fit.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

[This message was edited by Darvin Willhoite on 18 October 2001 at 02:41 PM.]

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 10:03 am    

you could always take up the harmonica or maybe the ukelele.....they're pretty light!

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 10:51 am    

Chris,

Years ago (in another epoch, I think) I used to play harmonica exclusively. I was playing in a blues band. Then I realized what an emotional tour de force the steel guitar could be. (I thought the bluesharp had a lock on that). I bought my first steel guitar about 2 weeks later and have never really played the "harp" since.

No, I don't think pickin' up harmonica will do it for Hans. You might have just as well advised him to play b**jo

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Hans Drissen

Amsterdam - Netherlands
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 11:43 am    

Hi Jack. I have also that fibre case that Franklin delivers but nevertheless I find it to heavy. I just ordered a new Emmons dubbel neck. This guitar also comes in just one case. And you might know how heavy they are.So a steelplayer from Holland Jan Visser
is building 2 cases for me simular to the cases Darvin Willhoite showed us.
Anyway my point is that infact all new steels schould come in 2 cases. Thanks for the reply. Hans.

GARYPHILLIPS

SOMERSET, OHIO ,PERRY
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 12:28 pm    

Hey Guy, ??? has anyone ever forgot to take there legs case with there steel case,
? got steel ? got legs Smile
JUST-N-CASE PLUS, want two cases for your steel guitar, can do:-)

STEELIN FOR JESUS.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2001 9:45 am    

I forgot, my old Fender 2000 had two cases, on for the steel and another for pedal board, rods and legs. But, it was still heavy.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2001 10:19 am    

glenn,
i didn't want to be rude and say 'banjo'....anyway, some of those suckers are heavy. my introduction to steel was through peter grant, who, as a long-haired weirdo (no offense, peter) living between san jose state college and george metzger's house (cartoonist who created 'moondog' comix, and a wonderful person) was constantly hauling his steel (zb given to him by jerry garcia, or a forerunner of that steel) in two cases, with his banjo and probably a guitar up and down a steep narrow flight of stairs, into his old! volvo wagon (this was 1968-9ish) and out to the honkytonk redneck world to pick!

so anyway, stop whining , go pick! ( not pointing the bar at you, glenn)

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2001 11:20 am    

The metal-clad case for my 1967 D-10 Finger-tip Sho-Bud comes in right on 20 pounds.
That "aint" bad.(With guitar it's around 60 pounds.) Best option that I can see is get a seat to hold foot pedal, strings and all other paraphernalia that most steel players carry. (Full set of tools, wire cutters, welder, etc.etc.) After over 50 years of sitting on everything from the case, drummer's stool, chairs etc., I bought an Elite Seat from Dan Sliter. End of problem for storage of extra "stuff". (And solid comfort.)

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2001 3:17 pm    

Being in good physical shape is important!
I got involved in a 6-week powerlifting program with a couple of guys at the gym a few years ago, and I was squatting way over 300 lbs. for reps. I was very careful not to hurt my back, and used proper form and knee wraps and a belt and a spotter. Well, I did hurt it, but it happened when I was carrying my steel (D/N) and amp down a flight of stairs. Sad> How's that for irony?

C#

Jim West

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2001 9:31 am    

Just be thankful you don't play a grand piano! A few years ago I was looking in the back of the truck that hauled all of the gear for Bruce Hornsby and I saw the biggest road case I'd ever seen. Yep, you guessed it, there was a grand piano in it.

Best bet is to get yourself a good hand truck and load it carefully to help ease the load. I couldn't imagine having to play a 4-5 hour gig with your back out of whack from hauling equipment.

Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2001 10:05 am    

I once bought an old Wright that came in two cases, its weight was 105lbs ...okay do I hear 106???

Andy

------------------

1962 Sho~Bud D-10 : 1969 Emmons D-10 : Bigsby T-8: 1954 Gretsch DuoJet: 1955 GRetsch DuoJet:1957 Standel 25L15
about me
My steels
ShoBud Gallery

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2001 8:49 pm    

Andy, I know what you are talking about. In 1967 I took delivery of a Sierra D-11 on a Brad's Rack and it was in two cases. My Sister and her husband picked it up at San Francisco International Airport and it filled their back seat and their Thunderbird was almost gouging the pavement from the weight and it made me a power lifter from the experience.Gary