The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opening Night" Thoughts
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2001 10:28 pm    

Well, I'm winding down from the opening of a five day run of Always...Patsy Cline in Oklahoma City. The folks at the Stage Center claim it was one of their largest opening nights in their history.

This production is by the Amarillo Little Theatre, with Tammy Hysmith as Patsy, and Cindi Bulla as Louise. These people are really great, and we're told this is probably their 140th "Patsy" show.

I was wondering if anyone who has done this show had the same experience - I felt like I was in a time warp a few times, especially during the "dance hall" segment. Tammy looks and sounds a lot like Patsy, and it was a little "spooky" looking at her...It made me feel like I was back in time. Since we didn't know any of the dialog except for "cue" lines, we were seeing the show for the first time ourselves. I probably enjoyed it as much as the audience!

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2001 4:44 am    

I did "Always P C" with a small theater group in San Jose, Ca about 4 or 5 years ago. It gave me a whole new appreciation for Patsy's music. And yes, I did get that time warp feeling. We had to dress as close to the time period, string ties etc. I tried to get an older steel tone and all that. In other words, it was a blast. I was also lucky enough to be involved in "Will Rogers Follies" in which I played Steel, Dobro, Banjo, Acoustic and electric Guitar. Multiple instruments was great for the pay scale and kept me alert. I still have a copy of the book for that show. I had to spend some time brushing up on my reading skills for that one. Way too many eigth notes.
Dave Ristrim