The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gene O'neal--------Remembered
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 10:24 pm    

We all knew Gene, To have known him is to miss him now. Victum of a medical mishap a short time ago. He was with Judy Lynn In Vegas, Charlie Pride in the big days,(9 years). A very prominant player in the clubs in Nashville. He lived steel 24 hours a day, 365 days a year,all he ever did or cared to do. He should be remembered, heck, why isn't he in the hall of fame, he's sure qualified!
If anyone has a funny story or a comment about this fine player,put it here now and I'll see to it that it will live on at least as long as I do. I stole a lot of my humor from this funny and fine player, how did he effect you? I really miss him,
Bobbe

Redd V

Galax Va
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 12:24 am    

Bobbe; Boy do I remember, and will never forget Gene O' I was fortunate enough to stand beside him in Clinton Gregory's band,for over a year, and 6 nights a week, at Skulls in Printers Alley, for quite some time, and all I cand say is @#$%^&*!! What an INSPIRATION !! One spring, he bought a new set of tires for his Blazer, from the previous winters winnings, at beating the band, and the guys and gals at the Brass Stables stip joint in the Alley, out of one dollar at a time, at LIARS POKER! Redd

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 12:34 am    

Bobbe,
you have summed it up very well! Gene was a great player! As well, he was my freind and I too miss him a great deal. He had a great sense of humor and loved steel guitar! To say he lived, eat and breathed steel guitar 24 hours a day is to slight the number of hours in a day. I miss hearing him play his version of Leon Rhodes famous guitar lick, I miss hearing him play "Baby Elephant Walk" and "Funky Monkey" and watching him beat the pants off of almost everyone in Nashville at tossing quarters out beside "Skull's" during breaks.
Gene was not one for "dle chit-chat" and wouldn't give anyone the time of day for gossip, but he would sit for hours and talk about steel guitar. Many hours we spent doing just that!
At one time while I was playing at the Carousel Club, he would come over on his breaks and I would go over there on my breaks. I also subbed for him many times.
Many times we would be found with our heads together talking about steel guitar and Buddy Emmons during breaks.
I loved him like a brother and really miss him. Thanks Bobbe for bringing him back to our rememberance.
And "Yes" he should be inducted into the Hall of Fame!

Dave

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 4:32 am    

I always wanted to see Gene play and always missed him at conventions but my luck improved by accident. A few years ago I was in Nashville on vacation and went to Printer's Alley to see an old LA picker named Jimmy Snyder (great singer). To my suprise and delight, Gene was playing steel with him. I got to meet him and talked with him for a couple of breaks. It's true that he loved the steel. You could tell by the way he approached it and the way he'd talk steel that he really revered our great instrument. I agree that he should be in the HOF. I read a review of a show he did where he was the featured artist at the Steel Convention in Great Britain which Gerry Hogan puts on. I guess he really tore 'em up over there. I think he was a replacement for someone else who couldn't make it and proved to be the better choice.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 30 August 2001 at 05:35 AM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 5:11 am    

I was fortunate to hear Gene play several times in the 70s and 80s and he had a humor in his playing that knocked me out! 'Spittoon', 'Funky Monkey', and some of his other compositions had me rollin' in the floor.

Very competent player with excellent style and stage presence. Very likeable guy.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 6:50 am    

I only met Gene briefly at the convention, but I had the provilege of hearing him play there everal times. Man could he pick. His version of the Funky Monkey was wonderful and unique, but even more, I love his version of "The Bells" by the Browns.

Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 7:26 am    

Bobbe,

You're right on the money about Gene. He was a super player and a funny, funny, person. We need to remember players like Gene, who were always working down in the trenches constantly playing and doing positive things for steel guitar.

------------------

Kurt Graber

Wichita, KS, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 7:40 am    

Bobbe,
a few years back I did a show with Gene. It was a real hot summer day, Ihad just finished playing and the next band was setting up. I was talking to Gene and the next bands Steel Player was darting all over the stage setting up equipment, adjusting stands etc. making sure everything was perfect.I wish I knew who the Steel player was, Gene obviously knew him.Well anyway, it was soon time for them to start playing and Gene said to me "Now it's time to really see him sweat(panic)".I had no idea what he was talking about. Gene casually reached in his pocket and pulled out a Steel Bar and had this big grin on his face.By this time the other steel player was looking under his steel, in his case, looking everywhere and rapidly turning green.Gene timed it perfect and threw the guy his bar, just in time to hit the first note.
This was the first and last time I ever met Gene but he struck me as the type of guy who could pull this type of joke off and make everybody laugh.I know I sure did!

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 9:18 am    

I had the misfortune of replacing Gene in the Charlie Pride band in 1977.One night it was Gene and the next night it was me with no rehearsal whatsoever - floundering my way thru Charlie's show.What a letdown it must have been for everybody.That guy was in the band for 9 years and was the musical director of the band as well - and he also led the band thru all the twists,turns and modulations of a 10 or 15 song medley of Charlie's hits.Them were some mighty big shoes to fill and they never did fit too good.Speaking of which,I inherited,and had to wear,his band uniforms - polyester leisure suits - one pink and one powder blue.They looked like they belonged to a Wayne Newton impersonator - real 70s pimp stuff w/huge collars,big bellbottoms,etc.Gene was a couple sizes bigger than me and I remember how stupid I felt with my coat sleeves 4 inches too long and my pants dragging on the floor - clamming my way thru the set in front of 80,000 people at the Houston Astrodome.And I remember thinking how tickled he must have felt at not having to wear those monkey suits anymore.I finally met him at Scotty's in 1993 and we had a good laugh about all that - I believe it was the last year he played there. -MJ-

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 9:20 am    

Many years ago, Gene and I were riding along in Gene's car in Nashville. He had the radio tune to a country music station. They began playing a new Ray Price recording.

When Buddy took the turn around, both Gene and I were awe struck (I don't recall the song now). But it was classic Emmons' wizardry.

After the tune was over I looked at Gene and said,

"How in this world did he do that?"

Gene thought a moment, looked at me and said,

"JES FINE!"

Tore me up. I Loved him like a brother. Met him in Ft Lauderdale in the late 50's. He was with Judy Lynn. Simply an incredible player. One of my truly dearest friends on this whole earth. I miss him.

God rest his soul,

carl

Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 11:17 am    

I knew Gene for years, when I worked the road and the joints in Nashville. Bobbe's right; he was all steel all the time. Great guy, and always willing to spend time with pickers who were not his equal and 'help' them along. I know. I was one of them. He DID always razz me about playing a ZB, when I had the only one in town for a while - but was generous to a fault. He's missed.

Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 11:55 am    

Bobbe
I only ever met Gene the once when he played the British Steel Festival some years ago, I can't remember exactly when, but you are right. His playing brought me to tears more than once over the weekend he was here, I mean the sheer beauty of his playing, the tenderness, the speed, the feeling, you name it. Sadly pickers like Gene are all to easy forgotten.
Cheers for now
Dave.

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 2:10 pm    

Bobbe....I got to meet Gene O' once and it was just a chance meeting. I was in Nashville and happened to walk in to a club (I don't recall which one it was)and there he was just reverberating the room with such awesome playing. I do hope that someday he will be put into the ISGHOF. A finer gentleman and great steeler there never will be......!

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 3:51 pm    

Yes...Gene was a fine person and a great musician. I met him when he came to Nashville.We never worked together but we did go to a couple of jam sessions many years ago.If my memory serves me right, I seem to remember Gene and Tommy Williams both playing for David Houston before the Charlie Pride gig in the very early 70's.
I couldn't believe the news that Gene was gone...what a shame...he will be missed.

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 5:42 pm    

Bobbe - I can't remember exactly when I met Gene. I used to sub for him now & then at Skulls when he'd do the Opry with Stonewall Jackson. I do remember something funny he said at the Dallas show in the late eighties. He saw where he was on the two line-ups that week-end (friday night after Buddy Emmons and sunday after church services) and remarked "Oh great, I'm following Buddy Emmons on friday and God on sunday! Very funny man. Best, Boomer

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 6:44 pm    

I was fortunate to meet Gene At Mr. Lucky's in Phoenix around 1972 . When I lived there.
He was with Charley Pride then.

I had a table near the band stand of course. He didnt know me but he must have known I was a steel man as he come right over on break and said , "mind if I join you". We had the nicest talk, on every break all night.
He was a great guy. I am sorry that he has gone, he was too young....al

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 7:02 pm    

You guys are beyond wonderful! I never expected so much response to this post so soon, it looks like Gene has been lurking in a lot of minds in the world of steel in addition to mine. He has touched so many of us in a great way. I have way to many funny stories to get started on here but if I ever write that book,(with a spell checker) I'll have to include a whole chapter on Gene. It will be great reading too! Keep it up guys,You never know,some of your stories of Gene may be there too.
Bobbe

Janne Lindgren

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 11:35 pm    

Hi Bobbe, I met Gene for the first time in 1966 when he made a tour with Judy Lynn here in Sweden. They where the head act at Gröna Lund (an outdoor stage) in Stocholm for about 2 days. A fantastic show for us few country music fans there was at that time in our country. After the show I was talking to Gene, telling him I was a steel picker too. To my surprise he said yes to my invitation to show him the town the next day. I picked him up after breakfast and the first thing we did was to go to the Gröna Lund and get his Sho-Bud D-10 steel. At that time I still lived at my parents´ apartment in central Stockholm. Gene and I sat down and picked for the whole day. At least he was playing for me and showed me a lot of things. My steel was a Fender 400 (8-string) with 8 pedals!!! No knees! My tuning was an A6 or similar. Gene took off all the strings and put new ones on and tuned it to a regular E9th. That was the moment I began playing pedal steel in earnest.
My parents, who were not speaking a word of English, invited Gene to eat dinner with us. My mother served typical Swedish food and I think Gene liked it. For the first time in his life he tried to eat the typical Swedish crispbread with butter. I guess it was an experience for him. The next day we did the same all over and we also went out seeing the town.
I met Gene a couple of times many years later and we wrote some letters to each other too. Since he was moving around a lot I lost his address. I heard about his death from Scotty! I miss this great guy and I owe him a lot! Janne Lindgren

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 3:57 am    

The first time I met Gene he was playing with Dottie West. (I had seen him with Charley, but not met him.) He signed the Pridesmen LP's and we talked while they were tearing down, (Steve Wariner was on rhythm guitar, too.) He took the LP's and was showing the guys in the band. Just then one of the PA high pack cabinets started to fall. We both grabbed a side and steadied it while a couple of the other guys ran over and grabbed it. We had a great laugh over it. I saw him many times after that and he always remembered my name, where I was from and made some kind of mention to the speaker falling. Once I saw him in a little club in Nashville, (I don't remember which one,) he came over and talked on his break. When he got up and headed back to the stage, he got about half way to the stage and turned around and shouted my name over the break music playing. I got up and went over to where he was standing. He said (something like 'hurry' or 'quick', I don't recall what,) and ran over to the PA stack and grabbed on, laughing hysterically the whole time. He was a gem of a guy!
Could play his hind end off, too!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 5:10 am    

Didn't Larry Hoeben play along with Gene down in Florida? He has dropped out of the steel for years and is heavy into realestate.
Bob

Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 9:36 am    

I was very fortunate to have picked with Gene quite a bit here in Nashville. A great player and a great guy. It hurt alot when he passed away. Richard

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 10:48 am    

Gene used to call me to sub for him sometimes at Skulls, and the message on the answering machine would be a growl: "Cal. O'Neal. Needja to sub tonight. Gimme a call."

He could play talking steel guitar, too. When someone he knew walked in the door he would hit a little lick that sounded like "hello". Same deal when you left.

Had a great sense of humor. After a big country western show the fans would gather 'round for autographs and pictures and Gene would play a little trick on them. If he saw one with a camera he would offer to take their picture with the star. They'd jump at the chance, and grin like mad cuddling up to the star. Gene would grin right back and snap away. When the prints came back - the heads were cut off.

Great guy, miss him.

C#

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 1:46 pm    

Gene was out alone on the road somewhere, and after driving all Saturday night, he encountered a little country church nestled away amongst a copse of chestnut trees in a bucolic glen as the day dawned. He was bleary-eyed, but unable to go to sleep (if you get my drift), so when he heard music emanating from the holy structure he pulled in, unloaded his steel, and jammed with the choir.

He told me this story backstage in the tuning room at one of those giant package shows they used to have years ago with 8 or 10 major artists on the bill. I made up the part about the chestnut trees.

C#

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 4:51 pm    

Cal, Yes, These storys ARE true,he told me every thing your saying,all this stuff is true.When he was on the road with Charlie in the late 70's, He'd call me at two or three in the morning and talk to me for three of four hours ,on Charlies long distance credit card. He wouldn't let me hang up and go to sleep, if I did, he'd call me right back.This guy craved steel guitar!This is all we talked about, ever!
Bobbe

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 11:12 pm    

As much as Gene loved to talk about steel guitar, he loved "playing C6" even more. He would take any opportunity to use that bottom neck. When he went to work on the 'Opry for Stonewall Jackson he would play everything he could get away with on the "C neck". One night Gene told me that old 'Wall had gotton on to him for playing C neck during their Opry spots. He was told he had to start playing back on the "money-neck" (E9 neck) again. So the next time they went out on stage to play Gene leaned over on his way to the stage and said "Watch this!" When they got out their on stage Gene played EVERYTHING HE HAD BEEN PLAYING ON C6 EXACTLY THE SAME, NOTE FOR NOTE, EXCEPT HE PLAYED IT ON THE E9! He played the same licks, fills and all. Still sounded just like C6! After they finished their Opry spot and Gene was on the way back off stage he past me and again leaned over to me and said "That'll teach him! He ain't gonna tell me what to play!"
Gene was just as proficient on one neck as the other and at times it was hard to tell which neck he was on. He had a ball foolin' ol' 'Wall doin' that. He did that everytime after that and he'd always look over at me with that mischevious grin of his and chuckle just knowin' he'd got away with it!
It was a blast watching gene play C6 licks on the E9 and E9 licks on the C6. He could kick off a country shuffle on C6 just as easily as anyone else could do it on the E9 neck, and most of the time he preferred to!

Dave