The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  James O'Rafferty
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 4:23 am    

Does anyone out there know of the where a bouts of James O'Rafferty AKA J.G. O'Rafferty? I knew him for many years while I lived in the Los Angeles area. I always thought he was a great player and never got the recognition he deserved. I got the chance to do a couple of sessions with him and play some gigs as well as become pretty good friends. I haven't heard anything about him in years. J.G. came to my gig one night and although he played a double 10 and I played a U12, we got him up and he took a couple of seconds to see what my levers and pedals did and then proceeded to play a set on my steel just like he'd been playing the thing all his life. This guy was also a great vocalist which is rare among steelers. In most groups he worked with he'd usually be a better singer than the band leader/vocalist which sometimes didn't fare very well. If anyone knows how to get in touch with him please let me know.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 4:58 am    

Jim left Paducah KY several months ago. I believe he moved out west somewhere to be with his kids. Jim is a great steeler and he was playing at Pat's resturant here in Paducah working with his trio.

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 5:46 pm    

I also thought he was in Paducah. but I guess he's gone. What a player he is. Before I left California, I was in a band with two steel players: James O'Rafferty and Red Rhodes. Talk about intimidation. Following those two on a ride was like following a steam shovel with a spoon. Best, Boomer

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2001 3:46 am    

Hey Boomer,
You got that right! Jimmy moved to Orange country where I lived the last few years I was in LA so I got to see and pick with him a lot. He showed me a change on Steel Guitar Rag which I still use today. On the first line of the verse it goes like this. E...E...C...C...E...B7...E or for number guys: 1...1...#5...#5...1...5...1 It really added a flair to the old standard. Just play the regular melody line over these changes and enjoy!

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12