The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Spare bed available for St Louis Show.
Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2001 7:50 pm    

I have a no smoking double room reserved at the Regal Thur thru Sunday night.

If you need a bed and would like to share expenses of a room email me . louie hallford @aol.Com or call 903 464 9858. leave message if no one at home and I will call you back.

My old fiddle playing and traveling buddy ,Dean Baxter is not making the trip with me this year.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2001 3:55 am    

Wish I could take you up on your offer Louie, but can't make it this year.

Btw, I just noticed that you are in Dennison.......have you ever run across "Butch Onstott", keyboard/vocalist from my traveling days with the Merl Lindsay Band, who quit the road and settled down in Dennison back in the 70s? www.genejones.com

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2001 2:39 pm    

Yes Gene, I know Butch quite well.Butch was one of the most talented singers,writers and musicians to come out of the SE Oklahoma,North Texas area.I think he was orinally from a small village a few mile from Durant,Achille,Okla.

He now lives in Denison and is a shell of the talent that he used to be due to the self destructive life style that he lived.

Barely 60 years old,He has been in and out of a nursing home and sometimes come up to the Senior Citizen Center,in Denison to set in with a group of locals who play there every Friday morning.

As you may know,he is a first cousin to Kenny Sears a well known and sucessful Nashville fiddle man who you see on the Opry and with a lot of the big Names in Nashville .He is also
also from Achille.

Knowing Butch at his best brings back fond memories.

[This message was edited by louie hallford on 21 August 2001 at 03:46 PM.]

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2001 4:18 pm    

Louie, I appreciate so much the information about Butch. I last saw him about 18-20 years ago when he and family were in Oklahoma City for a highschool basketball tournament when he called me and we met and talked for about two hours. He told me that was all behind him. He had a real nice wife and kids and I sure hope that his "demon" did not return. He was such a talented musician and also was such an personable individual when we worked together in Merl's band.

I wish you a good trip to St Louis. The next time we play the State at Gainsville I'll give you an e-mail and maybe we can visit some.

Gene

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2001 4:29 am    

Louie;
I'd love to take you up on your offer, but I have to stay home and work. The band has a gig booked at restaurant/bar that is owned by my wife's relatives. Kinda gotta be there. Figures...
I'm already planning on going next year.
Have a great time at the convention and tell everybody, Hi!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2001 5:46 am    

Mike area code 716 Sorry,but I accidently erased your call from my voice mail when I rewound to write your number down.

Leave a note here and I will return yor call.

Seems the voice mail said , MIke Miller from somewhere in the Eastern time zone?

[This message was edited by louie hallford on 23 August 2001 at 06:47 AM.]