The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  wives & psg
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 2:20 pm    

First comes my family, then my music.
My wife loves me the way that I am, with all the steelhassle that happens.
Sometimes the steel can stand in between, sometimes my wife, or kids. It's life, I love it!
JJ

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 2:40 pm    

I've been married to my wife for 26 yrs.,
and I know for sure that she is the most
considerate wife a musician could hope
for. There have been times when she would
have been justified to pull the plug, and
chase me out of the neighborhood. In all
the years of listening to me practice, I
am here to tell you, not one single
complaint while I played the same song
over, and over countless times. Not once
did she ever mention the volume level. Bill H.

Anne Marie O Keeffe

Co.Waterford,Ireland.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 3:53 pm    

Is it OK if a wife gives her thoughts on this?
Well my thoughts are positive. I love the steel ( why else would I be involved in this Forum?). I have absolutely no problem with John playing. I know he loves it and I think it is wonderful that he has such a passion for this instrument.....not to mention the co-ordination that is involved in playing it!

RichardMcKinney

Battle Ground, WA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 5:55 pm    

I began practicing in January.My darling wife thus far has been very supportive.
To my military career as well as my Steel.
She is truly wonderful.It's just that things are so expensive for these toys.
My Carter Starter may not be pro quality.But it definatly has that sound.
I know eventually when finances permit my darling wife will let me upgrade.You see I wear the pants,she just tells me which ones.It will be awhile before i'm ready for that step.I just thought i would add my little bit.

------------------
Keep on Steelin
Carter 4/k 3/p

[This message was edited by RichardMcKinney on 14 August 2001 at 07:24 PM.]

ESnow

Berryville AR USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 11:06 pm    

All I know is with out my wife of 22 yrs. I would have nothing nor would I have ever had the chances to do the things that has made me happy all these years. Whether it be working jobs close to home or stayin' out on a tour bus for weeks at a time, she is always there for me. I wouldn't have the 3 great kids I have either. She is my first wife and will be as long as we live. I feel lucky to have the family I have.

Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 1:01 am    

Well I have to agree with Gene. As a military wife she had a few bad times...like her parents seeing on the front page of the State newspaper about sailors on a crocodile hunt in the north of Australia...........inside a submarine........'cos some clown bought a baby croc and it escaped in the boat.......looking for eyes in your bunk before you turned in!
Or in the same article about the Chief Stoker being found by the police on his hands and knees in a swamp with a piece of bread in his hand calling out "Here crocky.....here crocky!"..and various other activities...all this four weeks before we were due to married.
Or getting people knocking on the door to check the Next of Kin.....'cos we were missing and were sending out distress signals.....we were happily trundling along at 300 feet down but our emergency bouy had broken loose...half the Aus navy and airforce looking for us !
Music wife?..she talked me into playing steel..I was doing day job and four nights band job on steel...I got home from day job to a night off one time when she said."Lets have a jam"
"Aw.....no!" but I said Ok I'll get my steel"
"She said ,"Why dont you use the one thats in the bedroom?"
The new Emmons I had ordered had arrived,she had a workmate take her to the depot to collect it,drag it in the house and set it up as a suprise!
Later we formed our own very succsesfull band with Lyn on bass and vocals and me on steel for over twenty years.
No regrets on either side ...magic time

Tony

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 4:02 am    

I also am very fortunate to have a very supportive wife. Larisa and I have only been married a little over two years but she's always been there for me even before we got married. I remember her setting in a smoky American Legion Hall for 4 hours every weekend while I was first learning to make mistakes on the steel.

I must agree that what makes it work so well is that she is a great singer and very talented musician herself. She plays guitar, Keyboard and Bass. I taught her to play bass and now she can outplay me, thats why I won't let her play my Steel cause she would pass me up in no time!! She encourages me to practice when I really don't want to and keeps me in line on playing fills. When I get one of those "looks" from her while she's singing, I know I've done went and played over the top of her.

I guess the most convincing fact that she is so supportive is that when we got married a couple of years ago she let me bring my steel on the honeymoon!!! At the end of our 2 week honeymoon we stopped by Reece & Teresa Anderson's for some steel and voice lessons.

I'm looking forward to many more years of enjoyment with my loving wife and I know in 40 or 50 years I'll be on here telling just how great it's been!!!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 5:26 am    

I too am blessed with a loving wife. Laurie is not into music herself, but she has always encouraged me to follow my dreams. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have such a loving and supportive wife.

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 6:39 am    

well, my wife is a military steelplayer's wife.

wayne

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 6:43 am    

Quote:
looking for eyes in your bunk before you turned in!

...Tony, you were in the Navy, you had to do that anyway, Croc or not...

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 8:53 am    

Pat, behave! (LOL)

Anne Marie O Keeffe

Co.Waterford,Ireland.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 9:17 am    

I'm back again! I'm also a military steel players wife. I wonder if there's some connection between the two? Seems to be a few military steel players turning up.

[This message was edited by Anne Marie O Keeffe on 15 August 2001 at 10:20 AM.]

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 11:13 am    

well, its good to know there are some military steel players in my "neck" of the woods. hows life on the emerald isle???

wayne

------------------
Emmons Legrande d-10 w/8&5 Nashville 400, peavey ultraverb II.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 11:13 am    

Now into my second and 1/2 year of learning steel and was sitting in my room just before Christmas when the wife came in and asked me if I wanted a new steel. I said I didn't need a new one as I can't play this one yet. At that she said "I didn't aske you if you needed one, I asked if you wanted a new one, 'cause I'm buying it for you."

Well, I thought about it that long and said "Yes". She then told me to phone Ed (Fulawka) and tell him to build me a new steel. I did that and near the first of June, went up to Ed's and picked up my new guitar, which she paid him for!

Based on that, I'd say my wife is very supportive of my learning to play steel and I consider myslef the luckiest guy in the world for finding her first!! Hope the next 32 years are as good as the first 32 have been!

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 11:33 am    

I too am monumentally lucky to have my wife Lynn. She supports my music obsession 100%even though she doesn't always understand it.
For me it's my wife & kids then the steel - in that order. If it were the other way around I'd probably be a better player but I'm happy with the equation the way it is.

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 12:39 pm    

I too was blesed with a wonderful wife. We've been married 46 years May 8th. I don't think she has raised her voice over six times In all those years. A Real layed back quite lady.
If you could special order a wife from one of them fancy stores In New York City I couldn't have got a better one.

Bob Carlson

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 2:01 pm    

Bob, could you please give me the address of that store.....

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 2:04 pm    

sorry for the double post

[This message was edited by HowardR on 15 August 2001 at 03:10 PM.]

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 2:29 pm    

I've been truly blessed. My wife, Tracey, her family (and mine - I'm in my brother, Wayne's band,) all support my musical career, even though it's my main job. None of them has ever said, "Get a real job". It pay the bills, too.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Marc Friedland

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 3:15 pm    

Hi everyone, My wife's name is Lorilee. We've been very happily married for 16 years.
(no pic included - I guess I should learn how to do that one of these days)She comes from a family with alot of musical background. Her dad, now 93, was a famous bandleader during the 30's & 40's and played drums & guitar. He was performing up until just a few years ago. Her mom was the lead violin player & vocalist for the bands and also played for a Symphony orchestra. When their mom died, Lorilee's older sister, Melodie, took on the role. She's one of these people that has perfect pitch and was giving violin performances at age FOUR.
Lorilee's quite the musician herself. Not going for the Spanish orchestra or classical stuff, she got into rock & roll as a singer, songwriter, and rythym guitar player. She's totally responsible for me getting my first steel. About 8 years ago when a friend said they had one available for sale, she said - that would be a good instrument for you, that it would be open ended, and I would never stop learning on it, and kept on encouraging me to go for it. We didn't realize at the time, how much I would get into it. I had already been playing 6 string guitar & keyboards for quite a while. Now one of the bands I perform with pretty regularly has hired her to be the lead vocalist and rythym guitar & percussion. The band plays traditional & modern country and oldies stuff. I could keep going on but should end this somewhere. At this point I'm tempted to start talking about how talented our kids are, but I better leave that for another thread. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to introduce my beautiful wife Lorilee, to you. -- Marc

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 4:11 pm    

I met my wife Judy at a jam session and she has been supportive for over 35 years now. She also has been a military steel pickers wife. The first 3 years she almost never missed a job. I was in the military and playing 3-5 nights a week. She is more independent now but incourges me to play because she knows how much I love it. Says I'm cranky when I don't play for a while. She has never questioned what I spend for music or R/C planes as long as we could afford it.

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 7:01 pm    

My 1st wife was both a military wife and musicians wife..She endured 13 years of that ,with all of the seperation, and being alone in a foreign country while I was either working (on duty)many many different shifts or away on durty in some other unnamed part of the world or playing music. The marriage crumbled at about 13 years..right up to the time that I satrted on steel..I was doing my military thing as well as playing up to 7 nights a week.That took a lot of juggeling in my scheduled and my family suffered from it. My second wife endured the LEARNING of the PSG..about two years of basicly locking my self in a closet..or plAYING WHERE EVER and with whoever that suffer through it with me. She then endured 3 years in Germany while I did my milirary job during the day (by now at Command Hdqts) and play as much and as many (mostly military) clubs in Europe. At taht time there were about 5 steel players that I knew of in All of West Germany and north westwern France. Wife # 2 Endured the steel playing into my retirement from the military and into civilian life..where I also traveled(government job) all over the country..and played my steel (again) when ever and where ever I could...Then It was over and Wife # 3 entered. I met her also when I was playing..after the govenment job went by the way side...She has endured, and stuck through me through thick and thin..while raising 7 children and a couple of grand children. and through bad health of both of us. She dosn't come to listen to me as often, but when she does, she coments on my performance as well as the band which I am playing with at the time. She has told me how bad it was ..or how good.. She supports me ..and realizes that the PSG IS MY Theropy!!!It's good for my health as well as how I feel about my self..I've also gone through the Musucians Girl friend thing...which my 2nd Two wives were...also..
Some lasted for a while..and some moved on...
The music is some time TWO MUCH COMMATITION for a relationship...My hat is off to ALL of the wives and girlfreinds that support thier PSG pickers!!!!

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 11:23 am    

My wife has a huge vintage Ludwig drum set. (Ringo's color) She has 6 toms (6" to 18")and practices "train beats" while I'm practicing my steel guitar. She doesn't realize that I'm playing along with her groove. She can't complain about my steel guitar because she's blasting away on her own! I love it.

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 11:43 am    

WOW!! what a great response!! thanks all.

your friend,
wayne

------------------
Emmons Legrande d-10 w/8&5 Nashville 400, peavey ultraverb II.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2001 2:27 pm    

Wayne.....I just came back to this thread and noticed that your 2d post was directed to me....my apology for missing it.

No I don't work the Oklahoma Opry, I work at the Preservation Theater in Guthrie. There is a link to it from my web-site.

Until this thread I had never realized that there were so many "military/steel" players.
When I was there I worked so much that sometimes I couldn't remember which one was my "primary" job. www.genejones.com