The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Walter Haynes finally sits in..!
Chas Holman

10 miles outa Lone Star, TX - USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2001 8:44 am    

Living so close to this legend, I've tried repeatedly to get him to sit in anytime he and I were in the vicinity of a steel set up on a stage. "No...", he always says, "...I just don't like sittin' in on somebody else's guitar. I'd rather just listen to you guys play..." I've accused him of just bein' nice enough not to get up there and show everyone within earshot what a novice I really am.

Well, I'd been invited to sit in with Ty Phillips and Goldrush at the Reo Palm Isle in Longview, Texas, by the band's steel player / fiddle player, Ryan Pierce. Great band - these guys really cook..! Ryan had also begged Walter to come out, but neither of us expected him to actually show up. So I set up my Sho-Bud next to Ryan's Carter, took a seat out front and was waiting for my turn to play. To my astonishment Walter Haynes walks up to the table, smiling as usual behind that ever present pipe, and sits down. Of course, I immediately start working on getting him to sit in . . . same response, "..rather just listen to you guys play..", etc... As I'm sitting there, I realize that once again, I'm gonna have to play with one of the legends of the steel guitar listening to everything I do. (at this point I was wishing I'd used a lot more anti-perspirant)...

Well, Ryan played a couple of songs (BTW - good steel player..!) then asked me to get up and he switched over to fiddle (BTW - good fiddle player, too..!). I told him that Walter was "in the house" and during the first break, we both started working on him to get up and sit in... (same response)... I had been telling Walter that my old Sho-Bud was a stock '74 issue and that I had not changed one knee lever or pedal throw, so he should have no problem using it... (same response)...

Ryan finally coaxed Walter up to the stage just prior to the third set with one of those, "Hey, let me show you my new fiddle..!" Well, we finally had him "up there" so I started digging in my case for my spare set of picks. I tapped Walter on the shoulder and tried to hand him the picks, and he said, "Oh, I won't need those," as he reached for Ryan's fiddle, "I'll just play this." I was floored..! I was nervous enough with him sitting in the audience, now he's gonna be standing right next to me while I play...? Jeez-oh -petes..! (now I'm thinkin' maybe I should carry some anti-perspirant in my steel case)

Long story short, what a magical set..! Walter played some of the smoothest fiddle I've ever heard, and I had no idea the guy even played the violin. When I asked him about it later, he told me. "I actually went to Nashville to play fiddle". I guess the steel guitar kinda put that career on hold . . .

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2001 11:32 am    

Walter was way ahead of his time. Great fiddle player and greater steel player. I picked up a cassette album that Walter recorded a while back and it is a work of art. His cut on "Unchained Melody" is so good. Glad to hear he is out and about on occassion. Hopefully we can get him to play on the Texas show next year. Best regards, Jody.

Chas Holman

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 7:21 am    

Jody,

I think gettin' him on the Texas show would be absolutely great..!! (I'll mention it to him - next time I see him)

Walter is doing some production projects with local talent; some of it in his studio at home, and he's also putting together material for a new steel guitar CD - can't wait for that one..!

He does still play on weekends - of course, so do I so it's hard to get out and hear him play steel.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2001 11:06 am    

Thanks Chas, I grew up close to your area in Tyler with Bobby Garrett Al Petty, Curtis Kirk, Rudy Gaddis, Tony Douglas and a few more. Lotsa memories from the late 4o's and early 50's. Is Bobby Clemons still in the Longview area ? Jody.

Chas Holman

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2001 11:15 am    

Jody,

I'll admit that 'some' of those names sound familiar, but not unlike Walter, I'm a relative 'newcomer' to the East Texas music scene. I've only lived up here for about 8 years - and I've only been playing steel again for about 11 months (after a 12 year retirement).

I haven't heard too many bands in the area mainly because I'm pickin' every weekend and that's ususally the only time to catch any live entertainment. With the Wednesday night Reo Palm Isle jam session (in Longview), I hope to get more acquainted with the local pickers. The last one I attended, at least netted me a recording session.

BTW - keep me posted on that next Texas Steel Show - I've never been to a steel convention in my entire life, but I might talk Walter into 'carpoolin' down that way. It would be worth missing some "gig time" to hear him and some of the other Texas Steelers do a little pickin'.

-Chas

[This message was edited by Chas Holman on 08 August 2001 at 12:16 PM.]