The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do you support Steel Guitar?
bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 6:36 am    

As a Steel Guitar player what do you do to promote it. Now I'm not talking about what you do to promote your company, business, or yourself as a player. But, what do you do to promote steel guitar, the instrument. Well let me be the first to say I don't do enough.
There has been alot of talk on the fourm about support for the steel guitar community because it is so small. The question has also been ask,"where are all the young players?" Well what are we doing to change this. You see pro athletes every day giving free clinics to young people to get them involved in the sport. How many pro steel players do you know that gives free clinics to young people. Jeff Newman is the only one I can think of. When is the last time you saw a steel guitar given away were you didn't have to buy something to get your name in the pot. Athletic companys give equipment away every day to get young people envolved in sports. MSA was the last one I can remember,and we know how long ago that was. Were can a young person go and touch a steel guitar much less play one. The Carter Steel guitar Both is the only place I can think of. Sports companys have show all the time so children can go and try out the latest stuff. Why is there not activitys at the convention in ST. Louis to get young people involved in steel guitar, I'm talking 10,11 and 12 yrars old. I have been blessed in my life and was able to buy my son a new name brand steel guitar with all the toys, but alot of familys can't. What are we doing to get steel guitars in the hands of children that can't afford them. Who knows there may be another Buddy Emmons or Paul Franklin out there who can't afford a steel guitar.
If we could address the above conserns as a community we just may see the steel guitar and the steel guitar community grow. What do you think?

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 6:40 am    

I wear my "Got Steel?" t-shirt alot. I wanted to make coffee mugs, business cards, etc. but can't use the "Forum" logo. This is a great place for anyone to come to and learn anything and everythnig about PSG!

------------------
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

My PSG website-Carter SD-12-U, 8p/5k, Nashville 1000

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 6:45 am    

Well, I'm doing what I can to get my steel
(and my limited playing abilities) in front
of our church congregation on Sundays. Lord
willing (quite literally)! The church is
offering me some opportunities on keyboard,
which is my primary instrument, and from there
I hope to branch off to steel, at least for
some services and events. It's a large
congregation so a lot of people will see the
guitar and hopefully be curious about it.

------------------
Bill (steel player impersonator) | MSA Classic U12 | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 6:53 am    

I did my bit about 20 odd years ago, my wife and I put on about 2 or 3 steel shows in our area culminating with a visit from Buddy Emmons in '82. I learned that I was not a promoter.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 7:13 am    

Don't get me wrong here, I love the steel, and playing music in general. And if you play for fun or in church, that's one thing, but to play for money or try to make a living at playing, I wouldn't recommend this lifestyle to any young kid, much less my own. This is not like an athelete encouraging kids that with hard work, you can get a huge signing bonus before you graduate high school. It was ONLY the love of playing that kept me playing all these years, and only now (in my 40's) has it paid off. And the money is still not worth the years and energy I have invested (or wasted). Maybe the PSG builders should have a warning label on the top of the guitar. "Warning-this product has been directly related to the exposure to bars, booze, bad road trips, divorce, and poverty."
I support the steel guitar. Recommend? Not sure.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 7:17 am    

John Sims, you are right the fourm is a great place for young people to come and learn from the pros. Thanks to Bobby Lee.

Way to go Bill, keep up the good work.

John Lacey. John at least you tried. For that we are greatful.

[This message was edited by bob drawbaugh on 01 August 2001 at 08:18 AM.]

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 7:25 am    

Chris, How many young people make it to the pros as an athlete. I would say about 1% of highschool athletes make it to the pros. But how many of them go on to play sports on the weekends all there lifes. Alot. I'm not saying the pros sould encourage the young people to be pro musicians, but encourage them to take up the instrument. My son at 23 is as good a steel guitar player as you would want to hear ,but he does not want to play as a pro. He just loves the steel and loves to play.

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 8:05 am    

...I support the Steel Community every day...I play at home where the public can't hear what a steel guitar is capable of...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 8:10 am    

There are many ways you can support the steel guitar.

1.) BUY the stuff for sale on the FORUM!

2.) Go see the locals, and only the big acts that support the steel guitar!

3.) Instead of buying someone a shirt for Christmas...buy then a CD with some steel!

4.) Participate both in the FORUM (don't just read), and list yourself on the "Online Steeler's" website. Too many players do not avail themselves of this great resource...why, I'll never know.

5.) Play the thing in public when you have the chance. There's far too many "home players" who are too reclusive.

6.) Let your radio stations know what you want to hear. It doesn't take long to write a letter, or send an email, and you'd be surprised...people actually read them, and use them to make programming decisions.

7.) Be friendly! "To have a friend, you have to be one, first!"

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 8:12 am    

...all good practical advice, Donny...

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 8:23 am    

Donny....well said.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 8:25 am    

Pat...you sound like my kind of player. LOL

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 8:40 am    

WOW! BOB D., this is the most wonderful,positive thread Ive seen on this forum in years! Yes,I do everything possible to promote steel and have my entire life.(or what iv'e used up so far) I would, and have given steels to child prodigys and will continue to do so if they can't get one on their own. You don't have to be a pro and work the road and bars to enjoy steel guitar(but it helps),however it provides much inexpensive entertainment(compaired to most other hobbies)and many become quite profeciant at this craft.Look at all the kids in the world that have taken piano,accordian,flute and banjo lessons that NEVER had any intentions of playing pro. And it keeps them off the street!
Music in genral is a great communication medium,steel is the prettiest!
Bob, this is great!
Bobbe Seymour

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 9:06 am    

All the news about the current generation and the state of C&W is not negative......

While getting ready last spring for rehearsals for the current season show that I work, I had a list of some CD's of comtemporary music (Dixie Chicks, etc) that I had not heard that I was intending to buy to prepare.

I happened to mention it in front of my two teen-age grand-daughters (who don't know squat about country music), and they said: "We have most of those albums, you can borrow them if you want to".

Sure nuff they did....and when they found out that music was on the show, they came and brought their friends to see it. www.genejones.com

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 9:13 am    

My 9 year old daughter likes to play my steel, can't reach the pedals but she likes the sound,( I make her wear earphones), a steel can make you cry 2 different ways you know. Hopefully she'll continue after she finds out about boys. Larry

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 9:20 am    

With the exception of one, I have purchased all my guitars from forum participants. I always give a yearly donation to the forum as a token for the enjoyment I receive from it. I buy alot of my equipment from the Buy & Sell. I support those vendors who participate on the forum (even Sizemour)! I recently helped fund a local steel guitar jam in Southern Illinois that featured John Hughey and Doug Jernigan and I always buy my CD's from the artists at the shows or one of the vendors. I try to do my part to keep Steel Guitar alive.

......I also get on here and argue just to make things interesting when the forum takes a "mood swing"!

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 9:28 am    

Bobbe...I agree with you 100%. Thanks for all the support you have shown for steel guitar.

Larry...I know what you are talking about. It will get better, trust me.

Mike...great job, keep it up.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 9:47 am    

I run a web site that promotes steel guitar.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 9:52 am    

Bobby..do you ever! Hey the fourm is great, but don't you think you could do more? Just kidding I know this must be like a second job and we love you for it. Hey, we love you man!!!

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 10:13 am    

I agree Bob. Alot of what I said was tongue and cheek. I've always loved the sound of the steel, which led me to buy one. Then it led me to lock myself in my room when I became obsessed with learning. Which led me to.....well, you get the picture. Can you imagine how many steel players would be around today if the internet and this forum were around 20 yrs ago? I think you will see an explosion of young players in the near future. When a young kid comes up to me and ask how he can find a steel or learn how to play or find materials, the answer is simple, www.steelguitarforum.com. It's all right here thanks to bOb.

Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 10:47 am    

Lately some german players who don't post on the Forum seemed to recognize my name and wrote me E-mails always asking if I know where to get this in Germany and how to do that. As if I would now! But I realised that by reading he Forum for three years now I gathered so much "second hand knowledge" about the steel that I could indeed help some people. So I decided to put up a website dedicated to the special needs of steelers in Germany. It includes a buy&sell section for instruments in Germany as well as a player directory to help players getting in contact with each other. By now it has around 40 listings or so and is growing weekly. Two weeks ago I installed a discussion-group on YahooGroups because some players mentioned they would like exchange tips about the steel in this country.

Given the fact that everything I know about the steel I know from the forum I should donate a truckload of money, but my financial situation is somewhat disastrous , maybe it will get better when I finished my studies and got a real job. Then I'll do my share. Since then all I can do is to mention that it's b0b's Forum I got all these things from.

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - Regal RD45 - fender hotrod deluxe

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 11:12 am    

Chris.. Iknow what you are talking about, I've been there. As a mater of fact I'm still there.

Good job Martin. Keep it up. Tell your friends to start posting here. There is always room for more.

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 11:52 am    

In my retirement I am dedicated to the advancement of Steel Guitar.
Ron Turner has given me a lot of space on his ClicTab site where I have sound files and matching tablature. It can be downloaded very easily...FREE!

I also exchange sound files on a one to one basis with other steel guitarists.

I learn far more than I can teach. Wish I could reverse that......

Roy T.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 12:38 pm    

I had an idea, but it got lonely and went away.

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2001 1:34 pm    

Chris Schlotzhauer....I pretty much agree with you 100% except I quit playing out when I was around 35 and I played standard guitar.
I've always loved country music and really enjoy listening to my CD's and tapes. I think the song "If It Wern't For Country Music, I,d Go Crazy" had me In mind.
A little less than four years ago I took up the pedal steel and am really enjoying It. I'm going to stir up a hornet's nest here and say I believe the steel Is eazier to learn than the standard to play lead.
But I have no desire to start playing In a band. I want to play when I feel like playing, not when someone say's breaks over...let's do It.
The fact that I'm 69 just might have a lot to do with that.

Bob Carlson

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 01 August 2001 at 02:37 PM.]