The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sacred steel players
j bradley

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 10:42 am    

Hello, I just happened to read an article about those sacred steel players, Robert Randolph, Campbell Brothers and I'm really interested to know more, where can I get more info about them? I heard the Campbell Brothers play last year and these guys are too,too much!!! From the little article I read, they are all affiliated with the same church organization? Others mentioned were a Calvin Cooke; are there more players? What about the women, do they play too, or are only the men allowed to? If anyone can email me with more reading material, I'll be very obliged.
jb

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 11:03 am    

There actually are many references to Sacred Steel on the web -- and also on this forum if you do a Search in each of the forums, especially "Events and Announcements" and "Bar Chatter".

Here are just a few links (be sure to follow links from the pages shown -- sound files are included) which can give you more insight into these very talented players:

www.steelguitar.com/resource/tunings/sacredsteelers/sssetups.html
www.steelguitar.com/webpix/showpix/sstl01px/sstl01in.html
www.steelguitar.com/webpix/playpix/chuckcampbell.html
www.robertrandolph.net
www.steelguitar.com/webpix/playpix/lonniebennett.html
www.steelguitar.com/showscsg/showscsg.htm#SacredSteelConvention

We have even named a Sacred Steel 2-groove Bar after the person who inspired it and who uses it: Chuck Campbell 2-Groove Bar which are available for purchase here. We also have the 3-groove Sacred Steel bar available. Robert Randolph uses both a 2-groove and 3-groove bar, I believe.

Speaking of Robert Randolph: here's an email I got from Robert Randolph's managers today:

Hello Again,
Greetings to the many new friends who signed up on the e-mail list at Robert Randolph & The Family Band's New England shows this past weekend and to all of you who've been receiving these e-mails for awhile now...

This is an exciting week for Robert, as THE WORD album will be
released on Tuesday, July 31st on Ropeadope/Atlantic Records and THE WORD's
short tour will begin on Wednesday in Vermont. For those who perhaps have not
heard yet about THE WORD, it's an amazing record that Robert has made with
John Medeski of Medeski, Martin and Wood and the great southern band, the
North Mississippi All-Stars. For the full story on THE WORD, please visit
their new site, www.whatistheword.com.

These are likely to be the only dates
they will play, so do your best to see them while you can...

Here's a list of THE WORD tour dates:

08/01/01 burlington, vt - higher ground
08/02/01 boston, ma - paradise
08/03/01 providence, ri - lupo's
08/04/01 syracuse, ny - lost horizon
08/05/01 newport, ri - newport folk festival
08/07/01 new york city, ny - irving plaza
08/08/01 new york city, ny - irving plaza
08/09/01 washington, dc - the 930 club
08/10/01 philadelphia, pa - theatre for the living arts
08/11/01 cockyesville, md - grass roots festival
08/12/01 great barrington, ma - berkshire mt festival

*** And here's more exciting news: THE WORD will be appearing on Late Night With CONAN O'BRIAN on Tuesday, August 7th, so set your VCR's...

As for Robert & The Family Band, they will hit the road again on August 12th at the Berkshire Mt. Festival, where Robert will do double duty with The Family Band and THE WORD. Here are the August dates for Robert Randolph & The Family Band:

08/12/01 Great Barrington, MA - Berkshire Mt. Festival
08/19/01 Amagansett, NY - Stephen Talkhouse
08/22/01 Boston, MA - Bill's Bar
08/24/01 Harrisburg, PA - Community College Afternoon Show)
08/24/01 Washington, DC - Metro Cafe (Evening Show)
08/25/01 Philadelphia, PA - North Star Bar
08/26/01 Charleston, WV -Syndicated Radio Performance

We'll be announcing all the band's September shows in a couple days, so please stay tuned...

If anyone wants to get these email announcements from Robert Randolph's management team, you may sign up here:
http://robertrandolph.net/main/contact.htm

Ann Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars [url=http://www.SteelGuitar.com
]www.SteelGuitar.com[/url]

[This message was edited by Ann Fabian on 30 July 2001 at 12:19 PM.]

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 12:16 pm    

Hi J,

Probably the best way to get the most information quickest is to watch the Sacred Steel documentary video. You can order it directly from www.arhoolie.com, through record stores, etc. or directly from me (see my post in Buy and Sell). There are also 6 CDs on Arhoolie and we are working on mixing and editing the 7th, which will be released in early 2002.

The way to see and meet the most of these musicians at one time is to attend the 3rd Annual Sacred Steel Convention next April. Check www.sacredsteelconvention.com

All the best,

Bob Stone

Ron Castle

West Hurley,NY
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 1:35 pm    

There are women players in the House of God
church as well. We enjoyed a hearing female player (cant remember the name) at the last Sacred Steel convention in March.
As Bob says, go to the S.S convention- you'll love it.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 2:19 pm    

I received a Sacred Steel album as a gift about fours ago, and I had not heard of them previously. My daughter had been on a business trip and since she always trys to find something related to my interest in the steel guitar, she had brought the album to me. I had not heard of them again until their publicity in the Forum by Carter Steel Guitars.

The title of the album was "Sacred Steel,Traditional African-American Steel Guitar Music in Florida", and the booklet that came with it gives the history of this music in narrative and pictures all the way back to the 1940s.

Robert Randolf is not on this album....it features players Willie Eason, Sonny Treadway, Glen Lee, Henry Nelson, and Aubrey Ghent; playing both lap & pedal guitars.

The CD is by Arhoolie Productions and is sold as "Arhoolie CD450". It's an excellant source of history for this music and it's players. www.genejones.com

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2001 8:32 am    

The Sacred Steel convention website is temporarly out of service but should be back up soon. You might bookmark it and check back in a couple of weeks or so. Meawhile, Carter has all the basic info on their website as noted above by Ann Fabian.

The only woman to play on stage at the 2001 convention was Lisa Lang of Miami and she gave an outstanding performance. One of her selections will almost surely be on the forthicoming album recorded live at the convention. I first heard hear play Aubrey Ghent's lap steel when she was just beginning about 5 years ago. Lisa will be returning in 2002, hopefully with her all girl band. Watch out!

Another first in 2001 was Reggie Covington of Philadelphia, PA. He was the first steeler from the Church of the Living God, Jewell Dominion to play at the convention. Reggie's medley had everyone ecstatic, especially when he threw off his coat and shifted into an incredible rendition of the theme from the Pink Panther! Yes, the Pink Panther played Holiness praise style through his monster vintage rotary Morley wah pedal! An historical moment, to be sure.

Ms. Kim Love, Jewell Dominion guitarist and steeler (and drummer) also from Philly, could not make it due to a conflicting church gig. She has vowed that she WILL be there in 2002.
Kim comes from a family of fine musicians, some of whom we are hopeful will show.

Ms. Maurice Bradley was also at the 2001 Convention, but didn't play on stage. She was the deserving recipient of a new steel from the Sacred Steel Instrument fund.

In my experience of nine years documenting this tradition at local churches in several states, various state assemblies, the big General Assembly, concerts and special events there is nothing that compares to the Sacred Steel Convention for energy, variety, sheer numbers of great instrumentalists and vocalists and the overall feeling of comaraderie and sharing. If you want to take in some sacred steel and mix it up with a bunch of fine folks, this is the event for you. Bring your steel.