The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel and the Everly Brothers....
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 10:26 am    

In a recent thread concerning Buddy and the Everlys someone said that they were unaware of there being any steel on the Everly's records.

Walter Haynes can be heard on a number of early album tracks, and an old photo (purportedly taken at the 'Bye Bye Love' session) clearly shows an unidentifiable steel player in profile.

The early Warner Brothers sessions that produced two terrific albums ('It's Everly Time' and 'The Everly Brothers') had Jimmy Day strongly featured. He did the solos on their cover of Little Richard's 'Lucille' and that was a big chart record. Other stand-out steel tracks are 'Nashville Blues' and 'Sleepless Nights'....

I was only playing six string guitar back in 1960, and went through purgatory trying to figure out how the 'guitarist'(!) was playing that 'Lucille' break - it was years before I learned the truth!

Buddy Emmons has, with his musical artistry, complemented the Everlys' hit songs perfectly - it's now hard to imagine the repertoire without him! If only they'd do a live recording.....

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 11:28 am    

According to Haril Hensley of WSM "Bye Bye Love" was The Everlys,Chet Atkins, Lightning Chance(Bass) and Buddy Harmon(Drums).

[This message was edited by Larry Miller on 30 July 2001 at 12:52 PM.]

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 12:34 pm    

Since my earlier post, I have had it confirmed that the steel player in the 'Bye Bye Love' photo is Jimmy Day.

Larry, your list of personel is correct with the exception of Jimmy - his part was omitted on the final release, although he can be clearly heard on the B-side, "I Wonder If I Care As Much'....

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 12:50 pm    

Roger, is that to say he played on the session, but they did not use his track? Larry

------------------
GO TITANS GO!!!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 1:45 pm    

Right, Larry - except I'm not sure if that sort of multi-track technology was available then! Apparently a record company guy from New York wanted the steel left off the A-side.
It may be that they had a couple of versions to pick from, or that they simply did it again without Jimmy. In any case, JD was certainly present and, as I've said, on the B-side.
Albert Lee once played me a tape of a studio cut on 'Wake Up Little Susie' with Chet Atkins playing more complex fills than the ones we've got used to hearing on the actual release, so anything's possible....

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2001 7:47 pm    

The Roots LP from 1968 seems to have some steel parts mixed quite low or in a etheral sort of phased psychedelic way.
A great album all round really.