The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bad habits-- What are they, and how does one avoid learning
Lincoln Goertzen

Taylor, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 8:46 pm    

I see a lot about so-called 'bad habits' in playing the pedal steel, and I would like to know what they are. I do not have a steel yet, but hope to soon, and would like to be prepared.

Where do I place my right (picking) hand?
Is there a right or wrong place to do this?
Is it better to block strings with my picks, or to damp them with the edge of my palm?
Thanks in advance, Lincoln

Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 11:26 pm    

Lincoln, one bad habit might be NOT exploring all the techniques. A lot depends on what(or who,probably in most cases) you would like to sound like. Get a steelguitar though, it
is great fun playing it , IMHO, rob.

jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 11:53 pm    

Lincoln,I have "heard" about a lot of "bad habits" also..I have seen people playing both live and in videos that are "doing it all wrong" according to some people..Like one inpeticular,that comes to my mind is hooking the little finger over the bottom strings with the right hand..I dont do this myself,but I have seen some of the best Steel Players in the world that do this..Right?wrong? It works for them..They can play rings around me..

So my conclusion is do what works best for you..Try different methods ,positions etc..Whats good for the goose,is not always good for the gander!

------------------
Jerry Wallace- "98 Zum: D-10,8+8, "96 Zum: D-10,8+5,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic

[This message was edited by jerry wallace on 16 July 2001 at 12:56 AM.]

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 4:25 am    

Linc,

Welcome aboard, my friend. I'd recommend starting out with a smaller diameter bar. They're easier to control. And don't pick up the bar. Slide it from fret to fret with your fingers resting on the strings behind the bar to mute them. Get some fingerpicks (of course) and find yourself a good teacher.

------------------

Emmons Push Pull S10 | Peavey Session 400 | '52 Fender Lap Steel | Goodrich L120 & Matchbox

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 5:15 am    

Bad habits?

Yes, there are some. Fortunately as one poster said, what is a bad habit for some may not affect the playing at all for others.

Blocking?

There are many ways to block. But the two most common are:

1. Palm blocking

2. Pick blocking

Now as to bad habits. Generally speaking, 'tis best not to keep the right hand rigidly straight. Rather to allow your hand to rest comfortably ON the srings with the hand nuckle of your first finger highest in the air. And the long horizontal crease in your palm resting over the top string you are picking at any given time. This comes naturally for many young players.

Yet it is NOT at all natural for others. Jeff Newman teaches to do this. And he is probably more correct than incorrect.

However, there are some great players who do NOT do this. One in particular is Jay Dee Maness. And he is one of the truly all time greats.

One suggestion is to relax, and maybe let nature take its course. Sometimes one can force a bad habit by trying too hard. Again what may be a bad habit for most, may work great for others. Doug Jernigan wears his thumb pick soooo high on his thumb as to assume (by many) that he simply could not fast pick. Wow! No human on earth could be a better or faster picker than Doug.

As one poster said, make sure you rest the fingers to the left of the bar firmly on the strings. Never up in the air. (Exception is Buck Grantham. He has a "bad" habit of lifting his left ring finder high in the air). Let ya in on a little secret. That little habit of his aint NEVAH hurt his playing. He be one of the best EVAH been on this planet! And never a finer gentleman in this universe!

Palm blocking for years was THE way to block most of the time. Some recent players have changed this probably forever. The most noted is Paul Franklin. He is absolutely flawless and incredibly awesome at it. His notes are incredibly clean and clear, and almost totally negate the fact that he was playing a steel guitar.

Another "pick blocker" is Joe Wright. Stupendous picker. Also very clean. There are others. I saw a player in Saluda, SC several years ago that just wiped me out. He could pick block so effortlessly. I got right down close to his fingers trying to figure out just exactly how he was doing it.

Even though I stood right there and watched him, there is NO way I could EVER play like that. His hame is Mike Bagwell. Not only is he great but he is one very nice man. I love him and his dad to pieces. Mike pick blocks with the greatest of ease. Effortlessly, as does PF and JW. Bless their hearts. Also dang em. They can do something this dude "caint'!!!!

Jerry Byrd and Buddy Emmons have NO equal on earth when it comes to palm blocking. In a word they are absolute. It is as though their is a an auto-matic felt mute underneath what ever string(s)they want blocked, that is somehow tied to their brains.

And that felt mute makes it look as though they never have to palm block at all. Yet we know they are doing it. You never hear any semblance that they even slightly missed or partially blocked when they intended to fully block. In a word they epitomize the "art of blocking" completely.

Note: The greatest piano player who ever lived, Vladimir Horowitz, had a "bad habit" of curling his little finger (right hand) under his hand, when he was NOT using that finger. The unbelievable part was; no matter how fast he was playing he would uncurl that little finger a micro second before he needed it. Then just as rapidly curl it back under when he was not using it.

Piano teachers all over the world would be aghast if their young students did this. Yet Vladimir is considered by most critics to be absolute when it comes to piano playing.

Curling the little finger over the top of the first string was a popularly taught procedure back in the 40's. Most "Hawaiian" guitar teachers taught this method.

There is some validity to this. It keeps the relative position of the fingers to strings always over the right place. And for some works great. There IS a problem with this procedure with more than 6 strings. You have to move too far away from the "fixed" position. On universals, and 14 stringers, this method is particularly difficult to maintain, and for small handed players, next to impossible.

For "pick blockers:, this method is justifiably restrictive.

To summarize, tis best to try and do it correctly. Listen to greats like Jeff Newman. Purchase videos and talk to the greats at conventions. Watch them closely. Try and do what they say AND do. In the long run you may be a better player as a result.

Having said that, you MAY be a person that is NOT comfortable doing it the "right way" and indeed you may be the next Vladimir! Or Paul Franklin. Or Buddy Emmons! Well, second only to him

God bless you in your quest,

carl

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 5:43 am    

I would strongly recommend (if you don't have a teacher in your area, and maybe even if you do) Jeff Newman's "Right Hand Alpha" video. It's all about proper right hand technique, including placement of the hand, how to get the best tone, and palm blocking. It doesn't get into pickblocking, but it's a really great place to start.

[This message was edited by P Gleespen on 16 July 2001 at 06:45 AM.]

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 5:50 am    

.."Bad habits-- What are they"

...leaving a cigarette burning on your guitar...

...setting your coffee cup on your rack...

...not putting out enough chairs for your guests when your guitar is set up...

...pumping the volume pedal like it was a ....never mind, just pumping the volume pedal too much...

Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 12:53 pm    

Carl, Doug Jernigen says, if you play
fast (ie speed picking) you're defintely "pick blocking"

[This message was edited by Steel tryin on 16 July 2001 at 01:54 PM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 1:21 pm    

Bad Habit #1:
Spending too much time at your computer, when you should be behind your Steel.

That reminds me, I've gotta go practice...

------------------

-j0e-

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 1:32 pm    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 02 May 2002 at 03:19 PM.]

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 2:13 pm    

On my steel "the strings I see others hooking
their little finger around" are what I have always called the top strings. I think it was
because they are the highest pitched strings.
(depending on your tuning perhaps) Whatever
they are I think as you sit behind your steel
the string farthest away from you is your 1st
string. Do we all agree on that? What, steel
players all agree on something?

Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 3:22 pm    

Doug--How many bad habits did you count while watching me play? Like playing without fingerpicks or having my legs crossed?
Bad Habit #1--talking too much about steel guitars to non steel players--Joe

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 3:53 pm    

...thanks Gene, that makes a lot of sense, I'm going to try to follow that advice...

...btw, my MOS was 95 Bravo, too, but I did it in Deutchland...

[This message was edited by Pat Burns on 16 July 2001 at 05:34 PM.]

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 5:32 pm    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 02 May 2002 at 03:20 PM.]

Drew Grice

New Bern, NC, 28562, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 6:46 am    

Just as in sports, fundamentals count. The best way to avoid bad habits is to learn fundamentals correctly to begin with. If you develope a bad habit which feels "natural" you will revert to it when the going gets tough. My advice it to get good instruction in person or on video (ie Jeff's Right Hand Alpha). and spend the time to make the fundamentals a part of you. Resist the urge to get to playing real music too soon. If you are concentrating too much on WHAT TO PLAY you will not learn HOW TO PLAY. That is, I believe where those bad habits come from.

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 7:44 am    

I think is't all good advice and should all move to Jerry's part of the country,'cause you're all OUT THERE do do do do do do. One bad habit is...don't never scratch yourself in a certain area when you are playing on a high band stand or stage....it dosn't look good.. I uesd to have a wife who made me put sreen or big piece of cardboard in front of my steel when I was ou playing!!...Needless to say she is and ex..and dosn't live in Texas!!!Oh..don't get MAD at the bass player,and nor dirty looks at the drummer..and by all means..the singer or front man(or girl) is ALWAYS Right!!.watch the volume, kick of the song in the right keye and tempo..and don't try to blow away the lead player...every thing else will come in time..if you love that long!!!!
Gouchyvet

Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 9:52 am    

To avoid picking up a lot of bad habits, my highest recommendation goes to the old proverb, "Find thyself a teacher."

Working one on one with a teacher even occassionaly can do more for you, especially early on, than 6 months of isolated practice. Use either this forum or the On-Line Steelers directory to make contact with someone in your area. Even if it takes the occassional weekend road trip for a couple of hours with a teacher, you'll find it worth many times the investment.

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 12:31 pm    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 02 May 2002 at 03:20 PM.]

Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 1:01 pm    

Worst bad habit of all....Not realizing how much a pain in the butt this instrument can be to drag and lift and schlep up countless stairs and down endless hallways.

2nd bad habit.....Continuing to do all the bad habits mentioned above.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 2:49 pm    

If I had to do it all over again....I would start by learning to play single notes with my thumb and middle finger using the crossover technique. Not even put a pick on my index finger. Work the scales across the neck and back until it felt natural. And concentrate on blocking each note. Start slow and gradually speed up.
Like BE said one time..the reason for using this technique is "so you don't run out of fingers".
The tone between the middle finger and thumb is closer than the index finger and thumb. Another reason to practice this.
Dennis

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 2:01 am    

Practising what you are good at and already know instead of practising the things you don't know. I certainly have wasted many practise hours on this one.

Bengt

[This message was edited by Bengt Erlandsen on 18 July 2001 at 03:01 AM.]

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 3:04 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 02 May 2002 at 03:21 PM.]

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 7:11 am    

Gene, I would say that learning "when not to play" is probably the most important one thing any musician can learn! Just think how nice it is to play with someone who knows when "not to play". When a whole band has this type players, it is wonderful and the sound is great.
Jerry

Lincoln Goertzen

Taylor, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 10:05 am    

Thank you all for your advice! I have learned a lot from this post, and appreciate your taking the time to write out your thoughts. Lincoln

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 10:35 am    

...Gene, somebody had to defend the free world and keep the frauleins and bier safe from the Red Horde...and thanks, I was very lucky to pull that assignment....but it left me with a rythmic twitch that manifests itself in my right foot...maybe I need set a cinder block on it when I play, or wear a ski boot on that foot...