The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Cage on Fire....Island, that is...
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 7:00 am    

I spend many weekends throughout the year on Fire Island which is a barrier island. It's 55 miles outside New York City, 32 miles long, a half mile wide at it's widest point, and is situated in between the Great South Bay and the Atlantic ocean. You have to take a ferry to get there and once you're there, it's bicylcles and wagons only (except fot the local authorites). During the winter, the population is maybe 200 people. During the summer, it's like any other beach town.

So I'm strolling & trolling around town on Saturday night seeing what's doing as there are several bars and restaurants, and there's a sign with scribbled magic marker in front of one that read; T - Bird and the Bad Dogs. Now Fire Island is not known for any kind of music scene,just a local band or two and a reggae band every weekend. So when underneath the group billing it read "with Buddy Cage", I dropped my raisin oatmeal cookie (I get wild on Sat. night).
I went inside and sure enough there's a D12 with more pedals and levers than I have fingers and toes. I was introduced to Buddy Cage and had a very nice and informative conversation with him. There must have been all of thirty people there when they were playing so I was able to watch and listen up close. They played mostly classic rock & pop,Jimmy Buffet, Eagles, etc....he was great and it was a pleasure not only to watch his technique,but to meet the man also. They'll be playing again there next weekend. I'll be getting my raisin oatmeal cookie, and then, I'm goin' in.....

[This message was edited by HowardR on 29 July 2001 at 08:07 AM.]

erik

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 1:52 pm    

Nice place, been there a few(70s). You say "drop your cookie". Ain't there some areas that won't allow eating in public?

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 8:40 pm    

Erik, the Medieval days are over. We can now eat in the street without getting a ticket. You still cannot ride your bicycle through town though.