The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Curly Chalker video
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 10:27 pm    

Tonight I was going through some videos that I hadn't seen in some time and came across the video they came up with when Curly's medical expenses needed some help and the sale of the videos were supposed to help. The video quality was not great but the content is priceless and I thought What a shame that we don't have more of this tremendous artist that is gone. We need to encourage more video of the greats that are still with us for future recollection. We have Tommy, Paul, Buddy and a host of others that we travel far and wide to see and cannot recall much of what we heard and saw. If we had a video of these great performances, we could appreciate the moment forever. Look what the Lloyd and Tommy video is worth that we can relish always. The market may be small on the big picture but what a wonderful way to preserve history and increases in value as time goes on, Gary

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2001 1:45 am    

The video was shot at 2 concerts held in December, 1986. The first part of the video consists of a concert held in Ontario California at the California Country Club, which was owned and operated by the late Jack Lox. Jack did not play steel himself, but he loved the instrument and always insisted on having a steel player in his bands. Jack was a fine singer and a really nice guy. I'm really sorry he's gone.

Jack put on 6 steel guitar shows between '86 and '88. Some of the other performers were Doug Jernigan, Jimmy Day, Mike Cass, Buddy Emmons, and local heroes Red Rhodes and J.D, Maness, One show consisted of all local unknowns, one of whom was yours truly. All of these shows were videotaped, but I don't know what happened to Jack's tapes.

Actually, all these shows were taped twice, A local player named Al Parrett also brought a video camera and taped them. I recently got copies of Al's tapes, Unfortunately from a technical standpoint they are very poor.

Getting back to the Chalker tape, I asked Jack if I could make a copy for myself and he graciously agreed so the next day I brought my VCR (an old Beta format deck) to the club and copied the tape. This was unedited raw footage, with all the dead time in between the songs. I still have this tape, and I still have the beta deck so I can play it.

The second half of the tape was recorded 2 weeks later at Scotty's Christmas party. Unfortunately, at one point the microphone came unplugged from the camcorder, so about half an hour's worth of music was lost. I'll talk more about that later.

During the Christmas party, Wade Ray played a set, and this material, while not included on the video, is intact and could be made available should there be a demand for it. At yet another point in the evening, various members of the audience got up and sag with Curly backing them up. This material too is intact, but as you can imagine, somewhat less than spectacular.

Shortly after the concerts, Scotty and I traded copies of the tapes. I then strictly for my own pleasure put them together onto a single tape, editing out all the dead time between songs, and all the vocal performances by Wade Ray and the people in the audience who got up to sing. After all the edits, there was 2 hours of nonstop music. 75 minutes from the California show and 45 from Scotty's party.

After Curly's stroke, I approached both Scotty and Bob Maickel form the PSGA about the tape, and we all agreed this would be a great way to help Curly. I had a few hundred copies made and the first moneys that came in reimbursed me for my expenses, and all the rest went directly to Curly.

Scotty's party was recorded separately on audio tape, so there is music to match the silent footage. With today's technology the sound from the audio tapes can be fused in perfect sync to the silent footage. The question is not whether or not it can be done, but whether is not it is worth doing. (This would be a fairly expensive proposition probably costing hundreds of dollars.) There is probably between 15 and 20 minutes of music involved, and we already have 2 hours. Given the expense involved, plus the fact that most blank tapes are 2 hours long, and the video just fits, plus the fact that many of the songs were played twice, once at each conert, my feeling it that it's not worth it. We have a great 2 hour concert on tape. I feel that's enough.

I still have the unedited tapes I got from Jack and Scotty, and the original master edited tape from which all the copies were made. I can have more copies made at any time. As far as I know, Scotty still has copies for sale. But if not, I can always make more.

[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 20 July 2001 at 06:19 AM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2001 6:39 pm    

Mike-Thanks. I sent a donation for Curly the day Scotty told me about it.
I would never give up the tape. I still enjoy watching it occasionally.
That Bobby Caldwell plays up a storm too. Curly would play a lick, then Bobby would do it, and back and forth, great!.Thanks again....al

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2001 5:19 pm    

Mike,
Todays Beta video format Is as close to digital as you can get. Sony thought It was so good they could charge big bucks for It and not let anyone else manufacture It. But It didn't work out that way. JVC came out with that great big VCR and for a price let everyone sell It. But Sony still thought there small Beta was going to rule because nobody would buy that big VCR. And the rest Is history.
But even today you see TV stations still using the Beta format so It must be a dandy.

Bob Carlson

Harry Hess

Blue Bell, PA., USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2001 5:50 pm    

Mike,

I might be willing to add the sound to the silent footage in exchange for a copy of the two hour show tape.

What kind of tape is the audio on?

I use Adobe Premiere 5.1 for video editing.

Send me an email if you're interested.

Regards,
HH

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2001 7:20 am    

I agree Bob. Beta is better. I can see the difference in the quality of the picture between my beta and vhs decks. I still use the beta deck to record movies off the cable so I can watch them later.

David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2001 7:51 am    

Is this video still available?

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2001 10:29 am    

Bob, the Beta format used by the TV stations is no where near the consumer Beta format.
The tape cartridge is the same mechanicaly, but the tape itself and all the recording parameters are completely different.
Also there are both Analog and Digital Beta formats in use.

Blake

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2001 5:17 pm    

Quote:
Is this video still available?

As I said, I still have the masters and can always make more copies.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2001 8:46 am    

Mike;
What about the tapes of Doug Jernigan, Jimmy Day, Mike Cass, Buddy Emmons, Red Rhodes and J.D. Maness?

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Bill Fulbright

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2001 9:15 am    

Ernie,

What about them? ARE there any? If so, WHERE!??

I want 'em!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2001 3:07 am    

As I mentioned earlier, the concerts were each videotaped by 2 different people. Jack Lox and Al Parrett. Al still has his tapes of the sets by Red Rhodes, J D Maness, Jimmy Day and Doug Jernigan. The quality leaves a lot to be desired, but at least they exist. The chances are the ones Jack made are better, however the problem is that as I mentioned, Jack has passed away, nobody seems to know how to reach his family.

The Mike Cass concert was to my knowledge, not videotaped.

The Buddy Emmons concert was something of a disaster. It was actually Buddy and a now deceased famous guitar player, together. I had at the time one of the very first DAT recorders in the country, and I arranged with Jack to hook it up the the PA so as to get digital recording of the concert, which could later be commercially released. Well, as it turned out, the guitar player, who I shall not identify so as not to tarnish his reputation, got so drunk he couldn't play. I thought he was going to pass out right there on the stage.

Buddy did his best to hold it together, but the whole thing was a train wreck.

The tapes, rather than being a treasured document, were an embarassment to all concerned. They were so bad that Buddy asked me to destroy them, which I did. Likewise, if Jack (who was absolutely furious with the guitar player) had videotaped the concert, he too would have destroyed the tapes. The only purpose they could have served was to embarrass the guitar player. Trust me on this, this is one concert that is best forgotten, and the world is a better place because there are no recordings of it.

I will attempt to find Jack's family and see of the other tapes can be found. Meanwhile, I'll also ask Al if he is willing to share his tapes. (He gave me copies, so I can't see him objecting to others having them, but they are his tapes, and not mine to give away.)

Maybe we can get him to join the forum.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2001 3:54 pm    

Getting a little off topic, but if anyone has info on Jack Lox (aka Laux), could they please email me?
Jack hit SoCal around 1959-1960 and when Red Rhodes hit town in 1960 Jack was the first to get him working in a club gig.
I'd love to know more about him, and perhaps we can track down his family in the process and find out more about what has survived him.

Regards
Jason

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 7:22 am    

The Mike Cass concert was videotaped.& as you said Mike P., good luck finding Jacks master copies. My only guess would be to try to contact his daughter Debbie. Where she lives is anyones guess.....maybe Alton, Ill. ???

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 10:32 am    

First, I've just been informed that a few copies of the Chalker video ARE still available from Scotty. Those who want one should contact him.

second, I have compiled a list of 107 people named "Laux" in Illinois. Chances are some of these are related to Jack. I have names, addresses and phone numbers.

But calling all these people from California would be very expensive. We need somebody from Illinois to contact these people and try to locate the tapes, assuming they are still in existence.

Any volunteers?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 7:33 pm    

I just got off the phone with Al Parrett, the other person who videotaped the concerts. Al has generously agreed to make his tapes available. He can be reached at <>.

I'd still like to find Jack's tapes. Al had his camera set up at an angle, Jack's camera was positioned better. If the Chalker tape is any indication, I'd say Jack's tapes are superior in quality.

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2001 3:36 pm    

I played Steel for Jack from 1983 until 1988. Jack's Daughter Debbie lives ( or did) in Alton Illinois. Sorry I don't have her phone number. Jack's Mom and his Brother lived on a small farm outside of Alton, Illinois. Unfortunately, I don't know what Debbie's last name is as she was ( is still ? ) married. This doesn't help much, but I definitely would call the Laux's around Alton for starters. Jim Bob

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2001 5:49 pm    

Jim Bob...wasnt that you playing bass on the Curly Chaulker tape? It sure looks like you!
A good musician like you too!

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2001 1:48 pm    

Rick, I have to plead the 5th amendment!