The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Player's Longevity
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2001 11:35 am    

Richard-- I marvel at the recording of "After The Lovin'" from the "Live In Branson" cut. Was that a differant experience getting that small orchestra sound ? It was great and still one of my favorite cuts. "Bill" PS You didn't steal the little turquoise jewlery did you ???

[This message was edited by Bill Myrick on 22 July 2001 at 12:36 PM.]

Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2001 11:38 pm    

Hey, Jason---do you reckon stealing Hag's bus had anything to do with Ralph's termination?

------------------

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2001 6:29 pm    

Can anybody pick up the story during the '80s when Roy left and Clint Strong played guitar? I loved Clint's playing. I think he played some sessions with Tom Morrel but haven't heard of him since.

And when did Red Volkert come on board? Heard him the othe day in Waterloo park and, wow, what a fine Tele picker!

John

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2001 5:20 am    

Jason, I presume all of this is from memory, right? You never cease to amaze me with your encyclopedic knowledge of all things musical.

By the way...

Quote:
That year Ralph Mooney was hired into the group, he lasted about seven months and was fired in late 1966
...for not being Neil Flanz??

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2001 6:22 am    

Jim: Well put; Sir !! I noticed that slight too but overlooked it as undeserving of anyone. Glad you didn't !!

Regards, Paul

Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2001 8:31 am    

Jason,

I don't mean to be argumentative, but John Hughey replaced Lew in 1968, I believe. I was around John and Conway Twitty's group for about the next 10 years or so. I never remember Lew subbing for John. John introduced me to Lew in the early 70's. We were doing a concert in San Diego, and Lew was living there at the time, and working a club. We all went to the club after the concert and partied. I subbed for John a couple of times, and he subbed for me a couple of times. We both knew each other's shows from being there and listening to them night after night.

As for Kenny Lovelace, even the times when Jerry had James Burton, or any other guitar player working for him, Kenny was still there. He would play rythym and the other guitar player would play the lead lines. Kenny would double on fiddle on the Country Ballads, also. Kenny was married to Jerry's sister, Linda Gail for a while. As far as I know,and I could be mistaken, Kenny has been there, all along.

------------------

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2001 10:47 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 02 May 2002 at 03:14 PM.]

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2001 11:12 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 02 May 2002 at 03:16 PM.]

Vern Kendrick

Earth
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2001 7:38 pm    

Jason ,I believe Jody Paine was in that elite group that got fired with Dennis Hromec and Bobby Wayne,I was there,that was a hell of a party

Billy Poteet

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 6:41 am    

I talked with Buddy Charleton several times back in the early sixtys when those guys were in there glory with ET. They didn't make any money then, They mostly stuck it out with Earnest because he was such a good guy to work with. Jan Curtis told me that on day on the bus Earnest was making out the payroll and he made out a check to Billy Byrd. Jan Asked him why he was still paying Billy, because he hadn't played with him for a long time. Earnest replied "I know , I just worry about the boy, and just want to make sure he is ok". There is no money in this game. There is no security in this game, Heck half the time there is NO GAME. I spent the Early part of my life trying to hang in there. I worked with Tony Booth,played in shows with Roy Clark, Wanda Jackson,David Frezell,R.C.Bannon,and a whole slew of others that I can't even remember and never made more than 250.00 a week in my life.There is a reason that most of these guys don't last on the road, and I think that we all no the answer. It ain't going to be anything more than a hobby, If your trying to make a living I wish you well because your going to need it.

B.P.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 6:53 am    

Guys, I do make mistakes every now and then, especially when I forget to check my notes.
Neil didn't do no flying to get to Hag, and he did remind me of a 1967 audition that never really got off the ground. (ask Neil)

I'd heard that Lew did some fill-in gigs for Conway, but I make no promises, heck i didn't even know that he lived in San Diego at any stage.
Vern, I'm not really sure of Jody Payne's role with the Strangers, he is on the 'Land Of Many Churches' LP, which is a rather impressive gospel set that Haggard, Bonnie, the Strangers and some of the Carter clan recorded in the early 1970s. Other than that, I think you may have the hot gossip.

Vern Kendrick

Earth
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 7:48 am    

Jason, I know Jody didn't,work long It might have been that one trip,he'd been working in Atlanta before that,he went with Willie shortly after

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 8:53 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 02 May 2002 at 03:15 PM.]

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2001 3:46 pm    

Hiya Gene, With respect to John here's what he wrote and some track details, etc.

Conway's LP NEXT IN LINE (Decca DL 75062)1968
Produced by Owen Bradley Recorded: June 22 - July 22/1968, Bradley's Barn, Nashville
1. MAMA TRIED (Merle Haggard) « © '68 Blue Book Music »
2. NEXT IN LINE (Wayne Kemp - Curtis Wayne) « © '68 Tree Publishing »
3. D-I-V-O-R-C-E (Bobby Braddock - Curly Putman) « © '68 Tree Publishing »
4. WITH PEN IN HAND (Bobby Goldsboro) « © '68 Acuff-Rose Music »
5. US (Mickey Jaco) « © '68 Wilderness Music »
6. I TOLD MY WORLD TO GO AWAY (AND SHE DID) (Mickey Jaco) « © '68 Wilderness Music »
7. AIN'T IT SAD TO STAND AND WATCH LOVE DIE (Mickey Jaco) « © '68 Wilderness Music »
8. TODAY I STARTED LOVING YOU AGAIN (Merle Haggard - Bonnie Owens) « © '67 Blue Book Music »
9. FOLSOM PRISON BLUES (Johnny Cash) « © '56 Hi-Lo Music »
10. THINGS I LOST IN YOU (Mickey Jaco) « © '68 Wilderness Music »
11. I'M CHECKING OUT (Mickey Jaco) « © '68 Wilderness Music »
Not to toot my own horn but, I went to work for Conway while he was in the middle of cutting that album with Image Of Me, Working Girl, Next In Line and several other hits off of that album. I think Lew did about half of the album and I did the rest. If you want to hear some fine "chicken "pickin, listen to Lew play "Workin' Girl". The first time that I heard it, it blew my mind. Lew had a unique style and he was a very good friend and I'll miss him very much.
John Hughey

Note that some of the tracks mentioned are on the previous album CONWAY TWITTY COUNTRY (Decca DL 74913) '67 Produced by Owen Bradley
Recorded: June 26-27/1967, Bradley's Barn, Nashville
1. WORKING GIRL (Wes Buchanan) « © '67 Buchanan Music »
2. BUT I DROPPED IT (Harlan Howard) « © '66 Tree Publishing »
3. THINGS HAVE GONE TO PIECES (Leon Payne) « © '64 Acuff-Rose Music »
4. WALK ME TO THE DOOR (Conway Twitty) « © '65 Twitty Bird Music »
5. TWO OF THE USUAL (Fred Carter) « © '64 Pamper Music »
6. LIFE TURNED HER THAT WAY (Harlan Howard) « © '64 Tree Publishing »
7. GO WOMAN GO (Mickey Jaco) « © '67 Wilderness Music »
8. DON'T PUT YOUR HURT IN MY HEART (Mickey Jaco) « © '67 Wilderness Music »
9. WALK THROUGH THIS WORLD WITH ME (Sandy Seamons - Kaye Savage) « © '66 Central Songs »
10. I THREW AWAY THE ROSE (Merle Haggard) « © '66 Blue Book Music »
11. WOUND TIME CAN'T ERASE (Bill D. Johnson) « © '57 Mariposa Music »
12. FUNNY BUT I'M NOT LAUGHING (Mickey Jaco) « © '67 Wilderness Music