The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ??? For Buddy Emmons about Sho-Bud & Emmons Guitar's
GARYPHILLIPS

SOMERSET, OHIO ,PERRY
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 9:15 pm    

Hey Buddy, got a ? when you was starting to builded Sho-Bud & Emmons Guitar, What was some of the names that you wear coming up with before the name Sho-Bud & Emmons guitar
Thanks Gary.
STEELIN FOR JESUS

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 4:43 am    

Gary,
I don't remember having contributed any names for the Sho~Bud guitar. When Shot came up with Sho~Bud, I cringed, mostly because I didn't like being called Bud at the time, not that I thought Bud was a bad name. Bud Abbot, Bud Powell, and Bud Isaacs sounded normal to me, but I had been called nothing but Buddy up to that time, so it sounded a bit strange. I learned recently that Shot was going to use the name Sho~Bud for a guitar he wanted to co-design with Bud Isaacs so I'm not sure if any input on my part would have made much difference.

As for the Emmons guitar, I had only one name I wanted for it, and that was Legrande, because of a jazz pianist and composer I admired at the time, Michel Legrand. I just liked the name. I was going to add the letter e to the end thinking it would add a little pizzaz to the spelling. Ironically, it ended up as the name for the all-pull Emmons thirty years later. The name Emmons came as a suggestion from a guitar player I hung out with, Gary Adams, which was simple and to the point: "It's your guitar, so it should have your name on it."

[This message was edited by Buddy Emmons on 04 July 2001 at 05:47 AM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 7:59 am    

This is a question I thought about back thirty years ago, and it just came to mind.

When I was on the road back in the 70's, we used to get these cookies that were made in Cincinnati called "Shur~gud" and the lettering style (font) was exactly like the Sho~Bud logo, with the stylized script "S" and the banner beneath the name.

So the question is: did the cookie company knock off the steel logo, or vice-versa?

And, can you get your cookies playing a Sho~Bud? (did I actually say that?!? )

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 8:09 am    

HERB-- Billy Robinson did the Sho- Bud logo in '57.
The lettering was a "stock" lettering form from the standard print book of the day according to Billy himself.Shot commitioned Billy Robinson to come up with the logo and Shot liked the first idea,thats why it is so similar to "Shur-Gud"----
Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 04 July 2001 at 09:10 AM.]

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 8:11 am    

Herb,
Can't say for sure other than the Sho~Bud logo happened in 1957. As for your last question, I remember one specific time when I. . .
Never mind. I'll send you a tape.

B Bailey Brown

San Antonio, TX (USA)
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 12:05 pm    

Gee, I guess if Herb can ask “cookie” questions, I can toss out another “not quite the subject of this thread” question. Buddy mentioned that the Emmons name as a suggestion by Gary Adams. Some of my most fond memories were hanging out with George Jones’ band in the early 60’s. The Adams brothers, Gary, Don and Arnie along with Sonny Curtis and Charlie Justus. I remember Gary well as being one of the finer guitar players I ever knew. It runs in my mind that Gary and Don (Bass player – singer) went on to work with Johnny Paycheck. In fact Gary introduced me to Doug Jernigan the only time I ever got to see him play. Very nice gentleman.

Therefore the question is…what ever happened to those guys?

B. Bailey Brown

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 12:57 pm    

Gary Adams played with me in Bobby Wayne's band in the Fort Worth Stockyards back in '83 or '84. Haven't heard of or from him since though.

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 3:09 pm    

Hey B Bailey How you doing? I use to see the Adams boys and Sonny and Charlie in Ohio. Another brother, Joe Adams,plays rather good PSG.

B Bailey Brown

San Antonio, TX (USA)
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2001 1:45 pm    

Hey Roger,

Good to hear from you, and for those on the forum that don’t know, this guy is one of the best Steel players you would ever want to hear! I’m talking about Roger.

Thanks for the info because I never knew there was a “4th” brother! Must have been a family band, huh? I just remember how well those guys played and how professional they were. Great bunch of musicians! They just got on stage, kicked *ss and took names. That’s what I like to see in a group of players.

By the way, drop me an email and let me know where you are playing because I would love to come see you guys. I will be in Dallas most of next week (anybody know where Tom Morrell is playing??!!) Again for those that don’t know, Roger works with a good friend of mine Dave Spangler, who is probably as good a “Tele” player as you would ever want to see. These guys do Western Swing all night long and do it the right way. If you are ever around the San Antonio area go see them…you will not be disappointed.

B. Bailey Brown

Henning Antonsen

Gaupevegen 18, 2335 Stange, Norway
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 1:31 pm    

Buddy, since the Jones boys were brought up... I have a live CD, George Jones & The Jones Boys with you on pedal steel... (1965, at Dancetown USA). What on earth are you doing on "Tender Years"? (Just had to mention it, I think it's the only time I've heard you make a mistake...)

------------------
Henning Antonsen
Emmons LeGrande III

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 5:37 pm    

That's no mistake!!! It's a "hook lick"