The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  '64 Emmons Stereo D-10 update
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 9:14 pm    

In response to a number of requests, I am sharing a little info on the '64 Stereo D-10 belonging to the Emmons Guitar Co. Inc.
I have been involved for a little over a year now, in the tedious process of restoring this once fine instrument. It is quite possibly one of only two Stereo guitars still fully intact & somewhat functional, with the original Stereo pickups & wiring harness,as designed & installed at the factory by Buddy Emmons in 1964.
I know where the other one is but I will decline to disclose that info at this time .
Ths guitar should be ready in time for Scotty's convention over the Labor Day weekend.
This process has been a long & convoluted one. First, we had to figure out how to get it apart,
(thanx E) .Then I commissioned the help of Dave Wilkerson at Techstar, here in Nashville.
Buddy had some idea of how the harness should work, but it had been altered a number of times on this particular guitar. Dave, going on E's memory, designed a schematic for me and made it fool proof .
This guitar was in a sad state of disrepair & neglect & I have taken great pains to restore it to better than new condition. Some of the improvements Ive made are; an up to date return spring system, repair of the shorted out pickups(done at Emmons Co),remanufacture of the wiring harness with factory parts(as mentioned earlier),total re-mica & reflock of the body, luster buffing of all metal parts,improved changer pillar mounts(the old ones,having no legs, tended to warp the body badly),etc,etc,etc,as you would expect in any restoration I would be involved in.
Even falling apart & with pickups shorting out frequently this guitar had THAT sound. Im confident my ministrations will once again allow this fine old, rare artifact to render that tone that can "blister a beagles ear at 40 paces" & mechanically speaking,it will be playable for the first time in 20 years, or so.
If you've never seen & heard one of these guitars you will be in for a treat!! Buddy told me that he felt it was the most beautiful sound he ever heard out of a steel guitar, these Stereo models.He also said that in '64 it really wasnt feasable for a player to own & haul 2 amps .
Therefore, very few of these were made. The serial # of this one is ES,7-64-003. It was originally owned by Sonny Curtis, who took delivery of it in mid to late '64.
Please look for it in the Emmons room at Scotty's convention.
I hope this answers most of the inquiries Ive been recieving about this horn.Thanx......MC

[This message was edited by Mike Cass on 12 July 2001 at 10:39 PM.]

Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 6:01 am    

Mike, what exactly makes this model 'stereo'? Does each pickup have its own output? Does each pickup have 2 outputs? Is the pickup actually wired in stereo so that strings 1 thru 5 go to one output and 6 thru 10 go to another? I've heard of this model for years, but never knew how they defined 'stereo'.

Thanks,

Mike McGee

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 7:57 am    

Mike;
Cool, dude!

When Buddy gets back from the Everly tour, have him snap some pictures to send them to me and I'll put them on the website.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 8:20 am    

Moved to the Pedal Steel forum. This forum is for topics about players, that one is for topics about instruments and techniques.