The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Technique Question
David Ward

White Rock, BC,Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 3:13 pm    

I've been playing steel for 6 months and I have a question on technique that I would like to put to the group....

I have been struggling with a slide starting
with the knee lever that lowers the E up two frets and resolved to the A pedal. The starting notes sounded ok, as well as the ending notes,the problem was the sound of the transition.

I worked on this for the longest time and just couldn't get it to my liking (let me say at this point that I'm a TONE junkie -
I may never be able to play fast and fancy licks, but the ones that I do play, I want to sound sweet).

I just discovered that if I 'slant' the bar during the slide it resolves much more smoothly.

My question - is this a technique that is commonly used or is it something that just happens to suit my ear?

Thanks,

David
Carter S-10, Twin Reverb w/Peavey Ext Cab

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 4:13 pm    

That technique has been used, David, but it's not a necessity. You're probably just struggling with pedal technique, and you may also have a "timing problem". That's what they call it when the strings don't move evenly in proportion to an even pedal movement. You steel may need some "fine tuning" of the mechanicals. Since you've only been doing it 6 months, just keep at it, and you'll get better. I don't know where you're at, but you should try to see some other steelers in person, if you have the chance. A few lessons from a good teacher might help you, too!

(At 6 months, a lot of players are still figuring how to hold the bar.)

Jerry Horner

Tahlequah, OK, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 4:27 pm    

David, donny is right. Most of it will be in how you fine tune your pedals and knee levers. Although I do a lot of bar slanting while using the pedals and knee levers, it would be useless the linkage was in the correct adjustment. With just 6 months under your belt you have a ways to go. Just keep plugging away and it will come to you.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 5:52 pm    

I'm moving this to "Pedal Steel", because that's where topics about technique belong.