The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What would it take, Mr. Emmons...
Bill Cutright

Akron, OH
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2001 6:57 pm    

For you to do a recording of just you playing-solo?

Maybe you've already discussed and discarded the idea (for what reasons-economically unfeasable?) But, otherwise, would you want to do it, and what tunes would you think would be the best showcase of that format?

To all other forumites:
What tunes would you like to be included?

Thanks.

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2001 7:08 pm    

Anything by Buddy would be what I would want to hear, any time, any place! I've heard him play just by himself, and beleive me, I think the band just gets in the way!

Dave

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2001 7:56 pm    

"Wild Mountain Thyme" is a solo.

Dave Robbins

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2001 8:52 pm    

Ever heard him play "Shennandoah?"(spelling?)

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 12:13 am    

I wouldn't care if he was just fiddlin' around on the steel. As long as it was him playing by himself and we could hear every little thing he did. I think it would be fantastic!

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 4:18 am    

Twenty years ago Buddy was on the road with Scotty doing shows, he would play a 20 minute solo demonstrating his different effects. I saw him in Reno, you would not believe your ears.

Larry Behm

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 5:05 am    

Bill,
I've thought about doing it but so far have only found three tunes I feel I could pull it off with: Shenandoah, Thumper, an Atkins/Travis type song I wrote, and I forgot the third one. It wouldn't be an impossible task, but it certainly would be a challenge to keep an album's worth of instrumentals interesting without being redundant sounding.

Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 5:09 am    

Well, you could throw in "Four or Five Times".
I liked that, really.

Buddy Emmons

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 5:09 am    

Something that might make it more feasible would be for me to play bass with it, seeing as how I know all my stuff.
All seriousness aside, it would help to have bass lines in things I do because I sometimes lean toward inversions that require the bottom note to complete the harmony intervals.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 6:53 am    

Buddy,

While were on the "what would it take..." thing...

What would it take to get you back into playing the PSG Convention circuit (including Buddy Emmons C6th seminars)?!

Bill Cutright

Akron, OH
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 7:11 am    

Just Do It!

No, really thanks, and it's good to know that it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Like you say, it may not be, necessarily, best, to be purely solo, but (like the, fairly recent, Atkins' "(Almost)Alone" recording), could use some incidental-type accompaniment on some tunes.
Some duets, maybe?
(Some of my personal favorite recordings are the Lenny Breau live duet things.)

As someone brought up, there's been several excellent examples, over the years, but, I WANT MORE!!

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 7:18 am    

Although I would love to hear and buy any new project the mighty "E" would record the amount of stuff he has already given us is truly staggering;Uptempo Bluegrass, ballads, Western Swing and classical. I sure hope he does more but go back and listen to the contribution he has already made; it should take you a couple of days if you play all his personal albums...Pete

Dave Robbins

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 9:35 am    

I don't think we can ever get enough of the "Big E". Each time, he has presented something new for us to sink our teeth into. And yes, he has covered the gamut, from Way to Survive to Yesterday,from Danny boy to Rose in Spanish Harlem, from Sunday in Dixie to Shiny Stockings, from Orange Blossom Spl., to Home in San Antone', and on and on! Not to mention the originals he has written. Buddy has covered it all at some time or another.
But, Buddy has a way of always leaving us wanting more. Just about the time I think I have learned a lick or instrumental of his, he comes out with something new! I don't think I will ever catch up! My collection of things he has played on is constantly growing,yet I find myself still waiting for the next new thing he will come out with.
You Go, Big E! We'll be waiting.

Dave

randy

shelbyville, illinois, usa
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 9:46 am    

Buddy. I remember how great I thought it was when you did "My Weakness is Too Strong" as an instrumental. I'd sure like to hear your instrumental version of "Our Yesterdays".

That is one of the saddest sounding, (that didn't come out right), steel sounds I ever heard. You know what I mean.

randy

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 9:56 am    

May I suggest a gospel CD from the "E." We use his "Danny Boy" as "He Looked Beyond My Faults" and we can use his "Greensleeves" as "What Child is this?" around Christmas time.

Buddy erroneously got "credit" on one of Bradshaw's projects for Herby's swing version of "Just a closer with thee." Although, I would expect that is the way Buddy would have done it!

Buddy did the Hinson gospel album, "Bubblin'" with Sonny Garrish around 1981. Some great stuff as one would expect. He probably did some others as well.

It would be a wonderful thing to get a gospel CD from Buddy with him jazzing up some of those tunes his way to give us some more fresh ideas for playing those tunes.

------------------
1978 Rosewood Emmons Push-Pull D-10 8+4

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 11:03 am    

Since we're all stating our Buddy "wish lists", here's mine. I'd like to see another album along the lines of the Black album. That is, an album with gorgeous ballads, some hot pickin', and an emphasis on originals. I know Buddy could come up with some great tunes, and probably has a head full of ideas already. My vote would be for using great sidemen, rather than solo steel. It's probably just a "small" matter of time & money as usual. Thanks, Joe

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 11:07 am    

I'd just like a recording of the pickin' that goes on in Buddy's music room. Just doodling around. I'll bet some of it is way over everybody's heads.
I remember listening to only one side of the stereo of Buddy's Learn to Play course LP. No band, just Buddy. Fantastic!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 11:47 am    

Buddy, At one point I peaked your interest in
Instrumental EVERLY'S Ballads. That music
would lay nicely and it must be right
at your FINGER TIPS. They would seem to need
minimal backup.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 9:16 pm    

BE.
How about one cut of you and Albert jammin during the EB's show? Or maybe a cd of several shows. Or maybe a cd of a boom box set on the stage somewhere while doing those instrumentals. Or maybe call someone and leave your cell phone on cd.

We go to Vegas all the time to catch your shows at the Orleans and I am in pig heaven when Don and Phil leave the stage and let you guys shine.

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 10:24 pm    

personally, i'll take whatever you are willing to share with us Buddy...
my best to you , sincerely,Raggs

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 4:04 am    

"Take A Message To Mary" By the Everly's lays out very nicely on the steel.
I also remember the time you played about twenty years ago at Luca Music when you had travel problems and Scotty ended up playing for more than two hours to cover for you and thanks for the seminar in Armonk NY in '87.
Don

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 8:19 am    

Buddy -

How about your interpretation of Eddie Van Halen's "Eruption" for the pedal steel guitar? P.S. Happy Independence Day!

[This message was edited by Frank Freniere on 04 July 2001 at 09:20 AM.]

Buddy Emmons

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 8:38 am    

Frank,
Hate to own up to it, but that one got by me.
Happy 4th to you and everybody out there. I've been on a low cholesterol diet for a while and the dogs are plumping on the grill as we speak, so I'll be in for a real treat this afternoon. Might even have a couple hen eggs tomorrow morning to celebrate today.

rick andrews

Westminster Co 80031
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 9:18 am    

Hi Buddy,
I'd sure like to see you do another jazz project, one that extends beyong swing and where you get pushed by your band. Thanks.
Rick

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 9:30 am    

I've never seen Buddy perform live so, I would settle for an invite to your family room sofa so I can be subjected to a barrage of, in your face steel. I'll bring the wine when its time! Just curious, are the dogs Hebrew National?
Gary Lee