The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keyboard keys getting squirrely
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2000 3:07 pm    

Out of nowhere that I can figure, suddenly the 'control' key (Ctrl) launches my CD player. I used to be able to launch a word search function with 'Ctrl'+F but now the CD player pops up (annoying as hell!)
There are some other annoying key changes I have noticed --the Caps lock used to disengage just by hitting shift (I think) but now I have to hit Caps lock + shift together to disengage.

So--what happened?!! and more important, any ideas how to restore, revert, or just change a key function?

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2000 5:24 pm    

Do you have a Gateway or some other brand that has a programable keyboard? You may have accidentally programmed a macro. Then again there may be a strange virus, or your keyboard may just have a bad connection to your computer.

First thing is to try a different keyboard (if you have one) and see if the problem goes away.

Do you have anti-virus software running?? If not, you should.

jdg

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2000 3:45 am    

Turn the keyboard upside down and shake it, to make sure nothing has fallen into it, like a paperclip or staple, etc.

Check the interconnecting cable and reseat the plug WITH THE PC POWER OFF (do not unplug and plug the keyboard in with the power on or you could damage the keyboard I/O chip in the PC).

Other than that, it may be a bad keyboard. New ones are relatively inexpensive so it's not a major expense if you have to buy a new one.