The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Netscape Navigator Question
Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2000 8:35 pm    

I had a forum member e mail me with a pic for the scrapbook,, but the pic was already listed in the scrapbook??
To make a long story short,,it seems the pic was listed but the member could not view it with Internet Explorer but could with Netscape Navigator.
Is this because the two browsers are arch rivals??
PS: I view the pic with Internet Explorer

------------------

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2000 9:56 pm    

Rick -- As your friend evidently has both browsers installed, perhaps his problem is with the file associations??? Or perhaps one is not configured to display graphics. --Ev

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2000 10:47 am    

Online photos should always be in JPEG format (extension .jpg). If you get a picture that isn't a JPEG, you should convert it to JPEG before putting it online. All web browsers can view JPEGs just fine.

I use Paint Shop Pro to convert graphic file formats. It gives you a lot of control over image size, compression ratio, etc.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 1:21 pm    

While on the subject of Netscape, about 2 weeks ago while I was using Internet Explorer as my browser, it freaked out and all of a sudden I could not go anywhere on the web....those white error pages kept popping up. I called up my IP and we went over a few things, and he finally couldn't figure it out and recommended scraping IE and running Netscape. Netscape came with my pc when I bought it and I had it on at one time a couple of years back, along with IE. Well there was a lot of browser conflict, so I took Netscape off.
Now....I took IE 5.0 off and have installed Netscape. Things seem to work somewhat, but still appear to be slower than IE5.

I also noticed that IE is still located in
ADD/REMOVE and when I click on it to remove it a box appears, which does not actually say remove....more like reinstall.

Has anyone else had this IE blackout happen to them? What is the overall opinion on Netscape [I actually use Communicator 4.75]?

Thanks all

Chip

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 3:10 pm    

You can't uninstall IE. It's part of the operating system. All you can do is hide it.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 10:50 pm    

My experience with IE is when I have those white pages come up; it was a connection problem with the server. I disconnected then reconnected; and then I got a better connection and problem solved. Sometimes you will connect to your server and its a bad line.
Then I upgraded to IE 5.5 and it's a dream; and tons faster than Netscape; and really the best browser IMO with a regular phone line connection. Now DSL and/or Cable modem lines are a whole nother story and those connections are far better for any browser and won't have hardly any problems at all.
Ricky

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 2:53 am    

Chip, the problem you outlined was not a browser problem. Whoever told you to change browsers was not very knowledgeable. Typical of Level 1 help desk techs that don't know much more than the people that call them for assistance.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 7:37 am    

I run both Internet Explorer and Netscape on my system. Helps to have both, to compare web pages with if you do a lot of web page writing, as both browsers treat html tags etc. differently. Hate to disagree with my little brother Ricky, but I find Netscape far faster in loading pages than IE. That is using version 4.6 tho', tried the new version of Netscape but sure didn't like it. Went back to the old one.
So far, no conflicts with both programs loaded and I often have both open at the same time, especially when writing web pages.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 10:17 am    

Hey Brother Graham; I did speak without full knowledge; cause I've only tried the new version of Netscape and as you said it wasn't as effeciant as the old version>which I haven't tried. My brother has that great version of Netscape and I have worked with it and is WAS dang good. I've just been diggin' my IE 5.5 and it is doing everything I want it to and giving me zero probs.
Ricky

Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2000 6:51 pm    

If you have both browsers, try the following link with each

http://www.steelguitarcanada.com/cancarter/cartbrisc.htm