The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows Me
Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 12:11 pm    

Well I installed the new Windows Me a week a go and all seemed to be working great. Until my wife wanted to use our scanner (Umax S1200). It wouldnt scan, so I went to the Umax web site and found out they don't and won't have a new driver for this scanner (aprox 3 yrs old), so I tried to uninstall the Windows Me**xx## and go back to Windows 98. Everything worked except my scanner. After reinstalling the drivers etc several times it still doesn't work and no help from Umax. So I guess I will have to get a new scanner which will be USB type in place of a SCSI. I guess the moral to this is to check out and make sure all your devices will work with the new Windows Me. So much for leading edge technology.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 12:59 pm    

Sounds like the problem is the SCSI driver, not the scanner driver.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 2:13 pm    

They are having the same problem with a Hewlett Packard SCSI interface scanner where I used to work. They are on WIN NT 4.0 and they can't get a driver for it. The scanner is only 4 1/4 years old but it's no longer being supported by HP. They looked into getting a new PCI SCSI board but haven't found anything that is cost effective.

The sad part is the HP was $450 new and a $69.00 scanner now is faster and has better resolution than the old HP.

Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 2:49 pm    

It could be b0b. The error message says its a bios problem in the scanner and it needs to be upgraded. However I can't get back to where I was before the upgrade to Windows ME. The scanner worked great b4. Already spent aprox 6 hrs installing and un-installing Windows. I don't know if the new version did something to the SCSI card or the scanner. Thanks Jack, now I know Im not alone in this. Its easy to get a complex from stuff like this. Just thought I would pass this along in case others have a similar problem. Its always a pleasure to get answers on this forum. Thanks folks.

[This message was edited by Dan Dowd on 19 October 2000 at 03:52 PM.]

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 3:43 pm    

I think that those SCSI cards that they used to pack with scanners are junk. The scanner manufacturers didn't really know how to make SCSI interfaces, IMHO. That's why I use an Adaptec card with my HP ScanJet 5p.

If the TWAIN driver is written to talk to whatever SCSI card is installed, replacing the SCSI card with a good one might solve your problem. I was never able to get my ScanJet to work with the supplied SCSI card. I don't know why, but it works fine with the Adaptec.

Windows ME installed another TWAIN driver for the ScanJet, so now I have a choice. I don't know which I like better, but it's nice to be able to choose.

Here's a thought - maybe Windows ME updated the core TWAIN drivers, and the update is incompatible with your old UMax drivers. Try deleting the Twain*.* and Twunk*.* files from your Windows directories, and then reinstall the UMax drivers. Hopefully, UMax will install the versions of those files that it likes. (They didn't used to be part of Windows.)

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 6:17 pm    

That was a great idea Bob about deleting the Twains and Twunks. There were 26 Twains and 12 Twunks. I deleted all of them, put my SCSI card back in, reinstalled the software and rebooted. I went to the scanner test and it worked and said all was ok. However, when I tried to scan in something the scanner just sat there and the mouse was not operable. Even the ctrl-alt- delete didnt work so I shut it down. Removed the SCSI card and the software. Now my question is should I put back all the stuff in the recycle bin back where it was or wait till I install a new Windows ME compliant Scanner. Thanks for trying Bob, for a while I thought we had the monster fixed.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2000 2:33 am    

WIN ME has a recovery feature (System Restore) that will allow you to fall back to a previous configuration. I don't know if it will work since you manually deleted all those files but you can try.
Click on start then run and enter msconfig and then run. On the bottom left of the panel that comes up is the Launch System Restore button.

Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2000 7:03 am    

Jack, I already tried the restore before yesterdays removal of the Twain and Twunks. It did not take me back to the original win 98 as the scanner still did not work. The scanner seems to be the only problem so far. All my midi stuff works good with Windows ME. I guess I will Get a new scanner at this point. I will make sure it will work with the new windows b4 I take it home. Thanks again for all your help.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2000 8:05 am    

Buying new software forces buying new hardware! Gotta love it!

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2000 8:28 am    

26 Twains and 12 Twunks? (Where's Elmer Fudd when we need him? ) That's really a lot, Dan - more than I've ever seen. Usually there is just Twain.dll, Twain_32.dll, Twunk_16.exe and Twunk_32.exe.

Undelete everything except those files, then reboot. I can't imagine how deleting a Twain file would disable your mouse. I suspect you included some files you shouldn't have.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2000 5:12 pm    

I thought it was trains and trunks. I'll get that wabbit. I purchased a new HP 5370C scanner from Sams today for $279 which was $20 less than Office Max and Office Depot. Now I can scan all my old 35m slides from the 50-60's of the kids and threaten them with posting them on the internet. The new scanner is USB and works great so far. I wasnt about to buy another Umax for spite because they would'nt support my 2 yr old scanner with Windows ME.