The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows ME "Logging on to Network"
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 8:13 am    

I upgraded my Windows 95 workhorse to Windows ME last weekend. I'm real happy with it except for one thing. It takes a long time to connect to my ISP.

I hear the modem dial and connect as usual, and I see the "Verifying username and password" as usual, and then the status dialog sits at "Status: Logging on to network" for a really long time. It didn't do this with Windows 95, and I can't find any setting that looks wrong in the current configuration.

I suspect that it's trying to connect to a Windows network instead of a regular PPP internet connection, and it eventually gives up. Any suggestions?

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 9:05 am    

b0b

As soon as you see that box "Logging on to network..." you are already logged on and you can start reading the complaints about modern country music immediately.
So it's not taking as long as you think.

I had the same experience and somebody on usenet explained how to get rid of that message but I forgot, and as I just explained, it really doesn't metter.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 9:16 am    

b0b, I haven't had that problem. I upgraded from the original (OEM) version of WIN98 to ME. It sounds like something to do with the logon server or what you are sending to it.
I used to have very slow logon with a previous ISP but it was their problem not mine, I've been on Earthlink for two years and never had a logon (or modem connect) problem.

Check the network configuration in the Control Panel. All I have is "Microsoft Family Logon", "Dial-up Adapter" and "TCP/IP>Dial Up Adapter".

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 12:22 pm    

It also has to do with Dial-up Networking. Open up Dial-up Networking, right-click on the connection you use, and click "Properties". Then go to "Server Types" and uncheck "Log on to network". I had this problem in Win98, but after unchecking it the problem was resolved.

Jonathan

------------------
New audio! Go to
www.cullifer.com
and click on "Audio/Pictures". Audio is at the bottom of the page.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 1:10 pm    

Hi everyone.....I have WIN98 also. Is this
new 'ME' a free Windows download or do you have to buy it?
In a nutshell [don't everyone laugh at once], what are some of the basic differences bewteen WIN98 and this 'ME'?

TIA

Chips Ahoy

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 3:06 pm    

Jonathan, thanks for the hint. I'll try that.

Chip: Windows ME Upgrade is a commercial product, I'm sure. I got it because I subscribe to a Windows' developer program (very expensive, but I get everything).

The ME stands for Millenium Edition. It's the next version for home users after Windows '98. It's actually a lot nicer than Windows '98, in my opinion - it doesn't have so much commercial garbage attached. The one thing I notice that I really like is when your mouse stops on a shortcut, a little "tooltip" pops up that shows you where the actual file is located.

Also, ME includes a killer version of the multimedia player, and IE 5.5 which is nice. I think you can download both of those things for free, though.

One thing surprised me - it installed a new TWAIN driver for my scanner (HP ScanJet 5p), but also left the old one so I can choose whichever one I want to use. That was real nice of them. The new one is faster, but it doesn't seem to give me as much control as the old one. So I'm switching back and forth depending on the job. I like that flexibility.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 3:07 pm    

Chip, I don't like to change a thread topic in the middle, but ME is a new version of Windows that good ole Bill Gates sells. The upgrade is $49.95. The desktop is basically the same, most of the upgrade is internal updates and improvements. The new version of Internet Explorer and Windows Media player are included in the update as are several multimedia enhancements. There are more of the WIN NT modules in it and less DOS support (although most DOS based applications will still run).

So far, ME seems to be more stable and less crashes. I haven't seen a "blue screen of death" since I upgraded or had a hangup that I couldn't get out of without restarting windows.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 7:13 pm    

I got home and found the check box that Jonathan described, unchecked it and dialed my ISP. Bingo! Thank you very much, Jonathan, sir. Want a job in tech support?

Jack, I agree with your "thumbs up" on Windows ME. My computer is purring nicely, and it somehow "feels" smoother and more stable. I think it's well worth fifty bucks.

------------------

-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 9:11 pm    

Quote:
I hear the modem dial and connect as usual, and I see the "Verifying username and password" as usual, and then the status dialog sits at "Status: Logging on to network" for a really long time.

Were you actually unable to use it while this box was up? I find that as soon as that box appears, I'm on even tho the box lingers for a minute or so.

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 10:05 am    

Maybe so. I didn't try. I just dutifully waited for the "Connected" dialog. It's fixed now, anyway.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 12:09 pm    

Any stress or trauma involved with the ME installation? Any heavy-weight do's or don't's? I wouldn't mind buying a little more stability for my Win95 but I have too often regretted not leaving well enough alone.

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 12:55 pm    

No, it installed really easily (but it took a while on my PII 233 MHz machine!). I didn't have the same CD you buy in stores, though. The installer on the developer CD might be different.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 3:32 pm    

I have a Dell 733/128 ram with 5.5 IE, and the new windows mediaplayer windows 98 SE, I HAVE sceen three different Windows Me 49.95 to 179.95 what is the difference between these?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 3:45 pm    

Hey David. I sure can't answer but here is Microsoft's page for this--it may answer some questions.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/upgrade/default.asp

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 4:30 pm    

The $49.95 version is an ungrade for WIN95/98 users. There is an upgrade version for other (older??) windows versions. And the highest price version is a complete version - not an upgrade version.

Since you have 98SE, you can go for the 49.95 version. Look around some sellers are still bundling extra software with the upgrade (most resellers were "giving away" extra software with WIN ME when it first came out as an incentive to buy it).

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 4:47 pm    

Quote:
an ungrade for WIN95/98 users
I'll have to agree with you on that one Jack!

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2000 7:14 pm    

Thank's guys, think I might give Windows Me a try.

------------------
http://www.driveway.com/bin/share.jsp?sid=801d5dd6.4caf6

http://communities.msn.com/steelman/homepage

Sierra S-12 9&7

[This message was edited by David Wright on 20 October 2000 at 06:25 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2000 2:38 am    

Oops, a senior moment.