The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Restoring JPEG viewer
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 7:37 am    

I borrowed a CDRom movie from a friend--this is new to me, I've never before viewed a CDRom movie. In the course of loading it I was instructed that I needed to install Quick Time for Windows from the CD which I did. I only watched a little before deciding it was a foolish way to watch a movie.
I then discovered that QuickTime had taken over my computer! It became my jpeg viewer and changed all the icons of my (large) jpeg collection. So I uninstalled everything and anything I could and deleted all trace of infestation. But all my jpegs are still called "QuckTime pictures". Although IE5 has been restored as my default viewer (as before) I can no longer preview the pictures in the folder.
QuickTime still seems to exist in the registry--something I'm not looking to mess with. I'm real ticked off!
Any ideas how I can restore the IE icon to my jpegs, lose the QuickTime Picture title and restore the preview function?

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 8:02 am    

Get everything you can out of your WIN System directory, and if that doesn't help, try to remove it from your Registry. Be sure to have a back-up of the Reg. first - It would be best if you could restore a copy of your registry BEFORE Quicktime was loaded.

Good luck boss.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 8:03 am    

Jon:
Open Windows Explorer, click on view then folder options. From there, click on files types. Look for file extension for .jpg, click edit and you can then pick the .exe for the program you want to use to view .jpg's.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 9:58 am    

The easiest way to change the file assoctiation for JPEG or any other file is the following:

Find a file of the type you're interested in with MS Explorer.
Hold down Shift, then right click on the file.
Left click on "Open With".
In the window that pops up, scroll down to the program you want to use, click on "Always use this program to open these files" and click Okay.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 12:38 pm    

Man this is annoying. Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't explain the problem well enough.
The way I have it now I can open all my jpegs with IE. The file association exists. Here's what I have discovered. All my images have .jpg extensions. They are called 'Quick Time Pictures' and do not preview in the folder view. If I change their name to xxx.jpeg they become 'jpeg images' and they do give me a thumbnail preview.

Under 'File View' there were both jpeg and jpg extensions. The jpg was associated with Quick Time--this I changed to IExplore. That is how I got to where I am now. Somewhere along the way I have lost the jpg entry in the File View list--it's gone. But when I try to add .jpg to this list I get the following message--

The extension '.jpg' is already in use by file type ViewerFrameClass. Choose another extension.

I started playing with the registry and got real spooked and got out. WAY over my head.

I could manually change the names of all my jpgs to jpeg--then I could preview everything. But every time I save a photo it defaults to .jpg.

!$!^%#**^^$@$#!!!!!!

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 1:16 pm    

The trick is to figure out what program is associated with .jpg extention.

To do this, get back into REGEDIT. (NOTE, there is NO UNDO in regedit -- do NOT change anything).

Do a search for .jpg

You may have to keep searching several times.

At some point, you will find what program is associated with it.

Now you can go back to that program (in the File View mode), and eliminate the .jpg extension from it.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 8:54 pm    

Jon-
I have been having the same trouble. Quick time, Netzip, etc have taken over all my songs, sometimes, my favorites won't play, they say I need real networks, or something. what a bad scene. I will see if I can use some of the advice on this posting to help me.
I would like to get rid of it all, and start over, but save all my data and files....can I?..al....I think I will quit all those Free? downloads . No more for me., or so callled upgrades too......

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 4:47 am    

Fixed!

David--I tried your suggestions but the problem ran deeper--in ways that I just can't explain.

But wonder of wonders, the simplest notion was the answer. I decided to reinstall IE5. I went to start///settings///control panel///add/remove programs/// selected IE5 and got an option to 'repair' IE5. It was worth a shot and after letting it do its thing I restarted the computer and everything is the way it's supposed to be!
I'll never know whether any of the other stuff also contributed to the fix, such as deleting everything I could find related to Quick Time but all I know is that this is one frustration I can put behind me.

Al--I feel your pain. I have also had these problems with sound programs. Winamp's website has all sorts of bad stuff to say about RealPlayer and its tendency to take over. So I followed their instructions to lossen RP's grip and Winamp took over!!
I have sworn many times in the past that OK--now my system is running half-way decently. NO MORE DOWNLOADS!! NO MORE TWEAKS!!

Road apples!

It's in the blood.

Al, you might try to reinstall whichever program it is that you want to be your default player. It may automatically reconfigure the system to recognize it as #1.
And if you have Internet Explorer 5, try what I did above. Maybe even without deleting Quick Time the automatic repair utility will help.

Why, I'm about as happy as a steel picker with a computer that works!

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 17 September 2000 at 05:54 AM.]

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 9:55 pm    

I have UNINSTALLER 5 by Mcafee (anti-virus folks} In it is the anti-virus scan, but it also has a safe way to go into the registry and eliminate unwanted things that did not get completely removed on an 'uninstall
procedure'. So far, it seems to work OK.

I think I payed around $30 for U5.
Hope this may help.

[This message was edited by CHIP FOSSA on 18 September 2000 at 10:56 PM.]

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 10:14 pm    

Forgot to add this to the above.
A while back I wound up taking my computer to a local tech to have the entire WIN98 system rebooted; reinstalled. Wipe everything out and start over. That was his estimation after checking the whole deal out, and saying "you're system is so far out of wack, that I simply cannot fix all these problems, short of a complete reboot."

And after asking me a few questions as to my 'habits' with the pc, he concluded that I was adding and removing way too many things,
and that after a while, a lot of unwanted files are still left behind after all the 'uninstalls'. He said that a pc is not like a VCR or tape recorder where you can simply add and remove things willy/nilly.

Especially on WINDOWS OS's. Everytime, he said, that you add something to your pc it affects the whole WIN98 system. That's why some folks prefer MAC over the WIN systems as within MAC you can add and remove all you want to, all day long, and will not have that accumulation problem [in a nutshell], he went on.

He cautioned, be really sure of what you want on your system. Be careful what you download; games are notoriopus for taking up a lot of memory/energy and can bog WINDOWS
down in no time.

So before I went ahead with this pc wipeout/reboot I burned some files onto some CD's. They were saved OK; but they were all saved in 'read me only' format. This can be changed easily enuff by going into 'properties' of each file and unchecking
'read only'.
But do you know how many files we are talking here?

Anyway, this was some advice I got from the pc tech man.
FWIW

[This message was edited by CHIP FOSSA on 18 September 2000 at 11:15 PM.]

[This message was edited by CHIP FOSSA on 18 September 2000 at 11:17 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2000 2:52 am    

A "clean" reload will eliminate a lot of "junk" that is left over from installing/uninstalling programs. But I don't see it as being as big a problem as your tech did. It sounds like your tech is in the wrong PC field and should be in the MAC PC field.

Funny thing, everyone puts Microsoft and their operating system down but approx 90% of the systems use Microsoft (I saw an ad for the new MAC OS and it had Microsoft's Internet Explorer on it).

Back to the PC reload. Reloading a PC is a quick and easy fix for a lot of people. They don't have to take the time to really fix it, just reload. That is what a lot of the PC companies will have you do when you call them for support - if it can't be fixed easily or they don't have a clue to what the problem is they will tell you to reload the machine with the "Restore CD" (or whatever they want to call it). Where I worked, my Help Desk Techs would have them "reload the disk image" (reload the PC) when there were problems with a workstation that they couldn't walk someone through over the phone but we were dealing with 99% administrative personnel not computer literates and reloading only took about 10 minutes as all their "data" was stored on the LAN file server.

But I still, personally, take the approach of trying to fix a problem and a complete reload as a last resort.