The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Converting MIDI to "??"
LeRoy Sawyer

Walton, NY 13856
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 7:33 am    

What is a easy way to convert MIDI files to any other form of music file that could be played on a home CD player?
Roy

"I Steel Stuff"

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 8:32 am    

Roy, why not just play the midi file on your pc and then use the line out on the audio card to go to a tape recorder and then just record the midi songs.

LeRoy Sawyer

Walton, NY 13856
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 9:18 am    

Jack -I have done that, but my goal is to get them on a CD that will be playable in a home player. What is the file format of a music CD? Is it a (.wav or MP3 or ??). What if I were to play the MIDI in to Cakewalk or some other software and then save the file as a .wav or MP3 would that work?

In another post to Jim Landers 9/11 you said "I use Adaptec s/w to record wav files ---- and then I use GoldWave s/w to clean up---- what is the "s/w" stand for, and do you have an address for GoldWave.

Thanks, Roy

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 9:59 am    

s/w stands for software.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 11:05 am    

Standard music on CD's are .wav files. The cool thing about .mp3 files is that the file size is compressed to about 10% of what the .wav file was (200 .mp3's on a CD as opposed to 'bout 20 .wavs on a CD). There are .mp3 players out there besides those on your computer (Real Audio, Winamp, MusicMatch, Windows Media player, etc.) but they are currently a bit expensive (Yamaha for car 'bout $900.). I've heard that Aiwa is comin' out with one for about $400 but not seen one yet.

[This message was edited by Jim Palenscar on 16 September 2000 at 12:05 PM.]

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 11:19 am    

You need to convert the .mid files into .wav files. Then you can burn those into an Audio CD using your CD-R software (normally Adaptec EZCD Creator).

I'm still working on a way to convert the .mid into .wav files. I thought that WinAmp (freeware) would do it, but I can only get it to convert .mp3 files into .wav files.

If you download CoolEdit (www.syntrillium.com -- I think), there should be a way to record the .mid files into that program, then save as a .wav file.

Do you have a version of CakeWalk? If so, it should be fairly easy to do there.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 11:23 am    

I do use the Adaptec for inputting audio to the PC and saving it as a wav file. The adaptech will also convert MP3 to wav and vice versa.

Do a search here in the computer section there was another post about converting midi to wav or MP3 and there was a solution posted.

The GoldWave program will do a lot of wav audio file manipulation and will also act as a "wav recorder". The site is http://www.goldwave.com
You can download a full function evaluation copy of the program.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 1:05 pm    

OK, here's how to do it (this assume Windows 9Cool.

Open up Volume Control (the whole thing, not just the simple volume slider).

Under Options, Select Properties.

Click the radio button that says Recording.

Under Volume Controls, make sure you have selected Wave TAble as one of the options.

Click OK.

On the mixer board, select the WAve TAble (making sure you have the volume slider set to a non-zero value).

Now, open Sound Recorder.

Then, open your .mid file with whaterver you use to play it.

On Sound Recorder, hit the Record Button.

Start the MIDI player.

Voila! You are now recording your MIDI output as a .wav file.

Save these .wav files somewhere on your HDD.

Then use a CD-burning program to burn these to CD -- making sure to burn it as an AUDIO CD, not a computer CD.

Go into the volume control (the big one, not the little "volume" slider). Under properties click "record" and make sure that "stereo mixer" is slected. Leave the "record" circle selected. Hit "OK". Now your mixer board will be for recording volume. Select "Stereo Mixer" and then open sound recorder. Start recording and then start your midi file. That should work. It works for me and I am using a daughter card that the system recognises as being on the MPU-401. That should work!

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 2:04 pm    

My system does not show "wave table" and I have a SoundBlaster AWE64 sound card, which is a wave table device??

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 5:31 pm    

I was about to post this topic myself.
Now I'm no pc whiz or MIDI whiz, but changing
a MIDI file to WAV is not that simple.

I found a "free" site called MIDInight at:
http://www.polyhedric.com/software

Well the MIDInight is a free download OK, but then to actually 'render' midi to wav you
need things like PRG files and sound libraries. This is the rub with MIDInight.
They offer you all these tools you need to really do a perfect rendering of midi to wav.

There programs individually sell at around $50/per and you can get the whole deal [on sale, right now] for $99.

Does anyone know about these MIDInight programs?:

AcidWAV MELLOsoftron GSound22 CD-ROM
and WAVmaker

These are the associated software programs
to go along with MIDInight.

Every note and/or sound that eminates from a midi file [song] has to have some LIBRARY
reference code so that it can be made into a WAV. This can get complicated.

Some of you smarter folks should check out polyhedric as I'm sure they can explain this better than I.
FWIW

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 5:35 pm    

I failed to mention in my previous post, that the reason I'm trying to find this MIDI to WAV program, is that I wanted to put some guitar parts down with some classic old Civil War songs that I got off the web. These Civil War songs are in MIDI format, and when I tried to record a track with them in CAKEWALK, Cakewalk asked for the file to be in WAV......so this is how it all began.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 6:04 pm    

Quote:
My system does not show "wave table" and I have a SoundBlaster AWE64 sound card, which is a wave table device??

What OS are you using? Win 95 or 98? I'm using 98.

After you select Options . . Properties . and select the Recording button, what volume controls do you have the option of selecting?

I assume you can play MIDI on your computer and hear the resulting music, right? If so, then everything should be set-up correctly.

------------------

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 6:15 pm    

Chip,

Cakewalk has the ability to mix audio and MIDI tracks together.

At least certain versions do.

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 2:25 am    

I'm using WIN ME, however it wasn't in WIN98 either.

I have Recording Control. MIDI, CD Audio, Line in and Mic.

Yes, my MIDI playback is operational. In fact I like the SoundBlaster MIDI instruments better than the Roland VSC88 that came with BIAB.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 8:41 am    

Chip:
Hook a cassette recorder up to your output on your soundcard. Then play the midis in your computer and record them onto a cassete. After you have done that, the midi files are now in .wav format on the casette. You can now hook the recorder up to the input of your soundcard and record them to your computer(as .wav files) using either the Windows Sound recorder or a third party software such as Wave SE or Cooledit or Goldwave.

A far easier solution tho', is to get a Soundblaster Live Platinum soundcard. With it's "what you hear" recording function, you can record ANY type of music you can hear on the internet, as you are listening to it.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 9:27 am    

Quote:
After you have done that, the midi files are now in .wav format on the casette.

How does a tape recorder convert the audio signal to a digital .wav file and then store it on it's tape cassette?

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 9:36 am    

Graham and David P.,
Thanks fellas for your input. Dave, I have Cakewalk 8.0 Gold and it came with SBLive! MP+3 soundcard.
Graham, as a matter of fact I do have a specific little cassette recorder that I got from Radio Shack for about $79.00 and all it does is allow you to make cassettes and is hooked up right now to the pc; so your suggestion sounds great. Don't have time today to try it out, but I certainly will.

And as previously mentioned my sound card is a SoundBlaster, but not the 'Platinum'.

I have a Visa Platinum Business Card. Can I somehow get some platinum from the credit card into the sound card?

Thanks ya'll.....will let you know what happens.

Chips Ahoy

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 3:14 pm    

Jack,

Try selecting MIDI after you've selected the Options . . Properties . . Recording

Click OK

You should be left with a window that says Recording Control.

One of the "channels" should then say MIDI. Click the box to Select it. Then turn up the volume fader (say half-way).

Now go open Sound Recorder, and open whatever program you're using to play your MIDI files.

Start Sound Recorder.

Start the MIDI player.

After the MIDI is done, stop the Sound Recorder.

You should have a recording of the MIDI file now in Sound Recorder (with a blank lead-in and blank at the end, too).

If that doesn't work, let me know. Also, when trying this, do you at least HEAR the MIDI file being played?

------------------

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 3:17 pm    

Quote:
How does a tape recorder convert the audio signal to a digital .wav file and then store it on it's tape cassette?

It doesn't. It simply stores the audio output onto the magnetic tape (cassette tape).

You then have have to play the cassette tape back into the computer (through the input on your sound card), while recording it into Sound Recorder.

To do this, you'd have to select Audio In instead of selecting MIDI in the method I described above.

There's no need to do this. All it does it take more time, and it introuduces noise from the cassette recording.

------------------

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 6:12 pm    

Jack:
A mistake on my part. Audio saved to cassette is recorded in .au format, which can then be converted to a .wav file. The audio cassette can be played on any cassette player, even tho' the files were originally midi. The link below is to a .wav file of Born To Lose which was a midi I recorded to cassette. I then played it back into my computer and recorded it as a .wav file at 11025 khz, 16 bit, mono. using a program called Wave se which comes with the Turtle Beach soundcards. I often make up cassettes of country midis to play along with. Cool Edit and Goldwave will also record to .wav, and there is no discernable noise from the cassette. You can right click on the song title at the page below to download this .wav if you would like to hear it.

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/darrell/annemarie.html

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 7:09 pm    

Graham,
Haven't made a move yet. Your recent post to Jack, however, looks like I have to do some fanegling.

I'm sending this off quickly without actually really studying this last memeo.

Should I pay attention to the 'updated' info above?

Thanks again....

Chips Ahoy

------------------
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 2:31 am    

Here's a thought, although I haven't tried it yet it should work.

Connect a jumper cable between the LINE OUT and the LINE IN on your audio card. Set the PC up to play the MIDI file and also setup whatever program you have to record audio to a .wav from the LINE IN. That should get the file into a .wav file that you can burn to a CD without having to find a "midi to wav" converter program.

All you will need is a jumper cable with mini stereo plugs on each end.

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 5:40 am    

Chip- E-mail me.

I am a longtime Cakewalk user and can probably help.

dva

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2000 11:41 am    

Thanks Dave. I did send you an email.
Chip