The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MS Config settings
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 6:42 pm    

If you type in "MS CONFIG" in the "run" program section, a "system configuration utility will pop up. If you click on "startup" you will see a series of boxes checked off with programs running behind windows. I understand you can unclick and shut off a number of the boxes that will improve the speed and performance of your system My question is, what & how many can you shut down with causing difficulty, if any, to the system?
Thanks in advancee
Len Amaral

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2000 7:57 pm    

Len, I turn off everything except system tray
(essential, I believe), Scan Registry, and Task Monitor. I'm not certain if the latter two are that important, either.
Nixing all the auto-gack that had been enabled cured a lot of sluggishness & freed up unnecessary resource allocations that were totally useless unless I actually used one of the apps during a "computing session", or whatever you might call it.

Dale de Aragon

Denver,CO,USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2000 1:28 am    

Don't turn off the Scan Registry utility. I build and repair PC's when not playing. The Scan Registry utility IS essential to the continued health of your system. If anything in the registry gets corrupted, you can and WILL get those unexpected and most unpleasant
crashes that will only get worse with every boot. Registry corruptions tend to spread and grow like a rash exponentially if not dealt with and repaired as they occur. Eventually, you will have to just completely reinstall Windows. Not just install it over the previous installation, but rename your Windows directory and do a clean install. Which isn't a bad idea to do anyway if you've
installed a lot of programs which you will never use or were just evaluating. The add/remove programs utility in the Control Panel is woefully inadequate and leaves most of the "junk" references to the "removed" program cluttering up the registry. To keep your machine running at it's fastest possible configuration, do a clean install and load only those progs which you will actually use.
Also, in the system config in Control Panel, go to the Performance section, click on the File System button and set the computer to be a Network Server as opposed to Desktop computer. It causes windows to utilize your ram much more effeciently. Hope this helps you out.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2000 2:37 am    

You have to be careful what you eliminate from the startup. Some have to be there or the PC won't run correctly. I have a Compaq Presario and there are certain files that Compaq has installed and are in the startup. If I delete them some functions will not work and there is one to fix an audio "stuttering" problem ("stufix"). Some of the things you don't need in the startup are things such as RealTray (realplayer), registration reminders, and a lot of other things that startup and put an icon on the system tray. You want items such as your antivirus to run, but a lot of programs want to put a link in the startup and put an icon in the system tray for "easy access" but in fact it just clutters things up and takes away from system resources at startup.

When my Compaq was new it only had 64% free resources at startup. I now have 86% after removing the unnecessary stuff.

I agree that a "clean" reload periodically will help the system run better. I don't do it on a regular basis but I have reloaded it back to the original Compaq disk image twice. It gets rid of the crap that is left over from installing/uninstalling programs and also cleans up the registry. I'm going to install the new Windows ME but before I do I'm going to do a system reload. One caution before anyone does a reload you should have all your data backed up (including your browser favorite sites, and your e-mail configuration, address book and e-mails you want to save).

However, you should be already doing periodic backups of your vital data. If you have a disk crash or some other system problem that requires rebuilding the disk you haven't lost any data.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2000 7:34 pm    

Thanks to all for your input. I will remove several non critical items to see how the system performs. A little trial & error is called for.

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 6:21 am    

Dale,
If you remove some of these programs and find out shortly that you've made a bad move by doing it,
can they be recalled without too much of a problem ?
thanks,
Kenny

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2000 8:36 am    

If you go into msconfig and then the startup, and "delete" (uncheck) an item, all you are doing is telling it not to load it at startup. The item is still there and all you have to do is go back in and check the block and it will be back in the startup.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2000 2:49 pm    

I have had a problem since I changed over fro America Online to Earthlink. When i tried to load in My scanner and dig. Camera the USB ports are not enabled . I can load the programs but the results say no comunication with computer. I have called the computer co. and earthlink . Everything worked good until a crash I had three mos ago. I have not lost anything except the use of my scanner and camera,,,Helllllllp .

------------------
CJC