The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Microsoft Word
Chris Dufrane

Constable, NY, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2000 12:16 pm    

I was wondering if a person can get a copy of Microsoft Word. Both my friend's Hewlitt Packard and my Compaq 5451 came with window's 98 and Microsoft Works. However there is no Microsoft Word only Word pad. So basically what I'm saying is that My friend and I would like Micro soft word and I would like to know how to get it. Could somebody please help me? Thanks in advance...
Chris Dufrane

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2000 1:06 pm    

Go to a computer store, buy it, take it home, and install it!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2000 1:33 pm    

If you don't want to buy the MS Office suite, you can purchase MS Home Essentials, which includes MSWord, at a price less than what MS Office is (or MSWord by it'self!).

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2000 9:11 pm    

That's a great tip, Jack. BTW, if you need a program to at least read Word documents while shopping for Word, MS has the "word view" applet for free. It's also included in the extras portion of a lot of OEM W95 & W98 CD-ROM's.
I've seen good deals on such software on E-Bay...if the software is new, you can register it (if desired)... since you bought it.

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2000 9:52 pm    

Yeah,I got 2 "words" for Microsoft,& they ain't "Merry Christmas"!!

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2000 8:27 am    

My 1999 Compaq 5716 came with Word Pad and MS Word-98. What I need is the spread sheet software called, "Excell" by MS. I noticed in the stores, I would have to purchase the entire MS package which also comes with the same MS 98 I have installed in my new computer. All I need is Excell and no other MS package software. Problem I have is the entire MS package deal cost big bucks.

JACK STONER, I need help in this area, got any idears, could I be looking at the wrong MS package.

[This message was edited by Kenneth Kotsay on 27 August 2000 at 09:28 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2000 11:25 am    

What do you need Excel for that the MSWorks spread sheet won't do??? MSWorks does quite a bit. If you just need to look at Excel spreadsheets, but not modify them, you can download a free Excel viewer from Microsoft

I don't know of any package that just has Excel, although there may be one available.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2000 2:37 pm    

Jack, it's not me who needs to use MS Excell, my wife works for a International Private Bank in Miami ("El Cheapo Banko") and the software she uses at work in her computer is Excell. The bank is to cheap to buy her version for home use so it looks like I have to go out to purchase it myself.
Now from what I read, you said I can down load this free from MS but how????

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2000 7:06 pm    

Hey Kenneth; yes those packages can be quite expensive. The Bank should have the CD and it is probably the whole Office 2000 and you can, if you know what your doing; use that CD and download only the programs off it that you want. I also do spreadsheet/data entry work at home for my Brothers company and he brought the Office 2000 CD over and we put Exel and Word and a couple of other things on my computer. The company that is employing your wife should do that for her.
What I'm saying is if you want just a couple of programs off the highly expensive software; get if from a third party if you can and not off the web.
Ricky

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2000 2:18 am    

Here's the Microsoft link to download the Excel viewer http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/2000/downloadDetails/xlviewer.htm?s=/downloadCatalog/dldExcel.asp

I wouldn't "pirate" the Office or Excel from the employer unless they give you a license for it. Right now there is a big push, nationwide, to find illegal copies of buisness software. They are currently running ads on TV about a "grace" period to get legal.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2000 8:10 am    

Oh I did forget to metion they would have to give you the licences/registration # for it to work legally.
Ricky

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2000 12:15 pm    

Each of the components to Microsoft Office are available as individual products. You do sometimes have to look around for them. Try Best Buy - they ususally have Excel, Word, Access and Outlook in stock.

Another tip that most people do not know. Microsoft has a wonderful "Educational Only" product available. If you are a college student or faculty member (not just colleges) then you can purchase these specially marked products for about 1/2 price. The big retail stores do not carry these products, but most college student stores do, as well as a lot of smaller computer specialty stores.

jdg

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2000 9:34 pm    

Chris-- Check out eBay. There curently are several listings for MS Word 2000, 98, 97, as well as earlier versions. All are at attractive prices. I've bought a lot of stuff off eBay and have been happy with the savings. --Ev

Lori Smith

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2000 8:22 am    

I have to jump in on this one..... MicroSoft has instituted a new "policing" policy on their software. Newer verions (Office2000 included), do NOT have the capability of being installed on more than one computer - with or without the license/registration number. When you install the software for the first time on your computer, it has a "wizard" that goes thru and writes stuff to the system setup files that helps it recognize the system again if it has to be "re-installed" (read "borrowed software so you don't have to buy your own copy"). If you legitimately have to re-install the software because of a hard-drive crash or system upgrade, you have to call customer service and sell your first born in order for them to give you a new license/registeration number. All of this was learned at the company I worked for when we upgraded all of our systems. It's pathetic but Mr. Gates must not be sleeping nights counting all the money he's losing from all us sorry souls that can't afford to buy his software. PS: If you decided to go the route of eBay - which can be cheap - be certain to ask the seller if the software was ever installed. Be sure you're getting a sealed package. Just my two cents worth....

------------------
Lori Smith - email: lori@b0b.com - Web Page Design - PictureHost.net

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2000 9:25 am    

Quote:
If you decided to go the route of eBay - which can be cheap - be certain to ask the seller if the software was ever installed.

E-bay has recently (six months or more) been cancelling auctions that were selling MS products at ridiculously low prices.

I'm curious, though, why it would matter if a CD had ever been installed before on a differetn system. Unless they're writing this data back to the CD (is it a CD-RW?), there's no way for your system to know that the program has been previously installed.

That is, unless they require internet access to install a program, and when you install it, some special code is written that let's MS know when a piece of software has been installed. I don't think this is happening.

I would think that if you were starting over on a brand new system (one that has never seen an Office product), you could install with the original registration codes just fine.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2000 9:46 am    

You can install it with the original registration codes (and that's for almost any product) but if you try to register it and it's already been registered you could be in deep do do. Also if you load it but do not register it you cannot get support for the product if needed.

This is really not much different than Napster with music or buying rip off copies of Tapes or CD's at a flea market.

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2000 8:46 pm    

Chris,

I think your best bet is to buy Office 97. It will have, Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
Look on E-Bay or Amazon.

Rick

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2000 5:47 am    

Jack is correct.....

You can install "Office 2000" with the original registration codes but as he stated, "If you try to register it and it's already been registered you could be in deep do do."

AS a test,I did it and it functions correctly. As I do not need the web-based functions of the "2000" package, I deleted the "Office 2000" Suite and went back to my PURCHASED copy of MS Office PRO edition.

Unfortunatly tho, I do disagree with Jack about "Napster"

Quote:
This is really not much different than Napster with music or buying rip off copies of Tapes or CD's at a flea market.

While I do not advocate rippin' off full blowed packages of software/music, I do feel that getting a singular song for my own PERSONAL use,thru "Napster" or even cuttin' it off the radio/TV,(something we all have done at one time or the other) isn't stealing. I am not attempting to resale the material, only useing it for my personal use. I don't maks "Custom CD's" for my self or friends, I generally use the material to learn the song, then re-use the tape for the next song or whatever.

Oh,I do agree on one thing.....

If you want the package, Go to your Computer store and PURCHASE it !! (Like I did)

That keeps your clear of the law and gives you support right from the MS people.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 30 August 2000 at 06:55 AM.]

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2000 11:59 am    

Lori,
You are so right. Word and all other programs are the same also. I'll pay the full price for a program to start with or do without.
But Chris, if your computer came with a Quick Restore CD you might try running it.
Bob Carlson

------------------
?

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 01 September 2000 at 01:07 PM.]

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2000 2:33 pm    

A couple of things - first about the restore CD. Most of them (and I know Compaq is one of them) do a hard disk format as the first step of the restoration process. Then it reloads the OS and applications so the system looks as if it just came out of the box. The restore CD is the last thing I'd want to do.

Second - with Office 2000 Standard and Professional (but not Developer) you actually get to install it on two different machines. Part of the installation and registration process takes the product ID and links it to another 8 characters that are generated at installation time. These last eight apprear to be keyed to some hardware component as simply installing the package and entering one "legal" serial number does not work. If you do not go through the registration process, you get something like 50 application opens before the package quits working.

The developer edition does not have this restriction as I think they expect the developers to be re-installing when they really hose the system. Also, the cost of the developer edition is a lot more than the Professional edition.

Office '97 is a wonderful option as all the Office 2000 programs write files that are compatable with the '97 stuff.

jdg

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer