The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wake up from Standby Mode
Vince Smith

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2000 10:34 am    

I have an HP 4440, AMD-K6, 333 mhz w/4.3 gig hard drive. I have frequently used "standby mode" which shuts down the hard drive, moniter etc until any keyboard entry or mouse movement is made. Recently, the system won't completely wake up from standby. The cp and hard drive come on but the Moniter and keyboard stay asleep until I power the system totally off and back on. This of course gives me the nasty message about how to power down but no help with the problem. Any one with a similar problem and if so how did you correct it? I am running Windows 98.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2000 11:02 am    

I think you can consider yourself one of the lucky ones since your standby works some of the time. I had SCSI drives when I ran Windows 98 and standby won't shutdown SCSI drives. Now I'm running Windows 2000 with an EIDE drive and somewhere between Adaptec EZCD and the OS there's a conflict so I can't run standby now either. The best I can do is to run a blank screensaver and tell the monitor and hard drives to shut down, but to never enter standby.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2000 12:06 pm    

My Compaq Presario does a pretty good job on the standby mode. However, when I first got the PC it was 50/50 on whether it would wake up. Compaq issued instructions on a CMOS setting change and now it works as it's supposed to.

Check with HP on your particular model PC. They may have issued an update or have a FAQ with updated instructions.

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2000 2:00 pm    

It's an act of Civil Disobedience. Your computer is a Democrat.