Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More Digital Camera Questions
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 10:23 am    

Great info.

Well I've taken the plunge on the FD85.
I admit, though, that I'm basically an illiterate when it comes to the optical specs like the lens stuff you said, David.
Quote:
That's probably equivalent to about a 35-105, or 40-120 zoom in 35mm format

I honestly don't know what this means in the real world but I'm hoping that I can get some reasonable close-up detail of some of my luthier crafting. It would be a shame to have stuck so much model airplane glue to my fingers (don't anybody say a thing about up my nose!!!) applying the binding to this guitar without being able to show it off.

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 15 August 2000 at 11:24 AM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 10:34 am    

David - I've been watching those items on eBay which is what got me checking out Tiffen. From your enthusiasm I take it you think those are pretty good prices?!?

Jon - My FD-73 does what I think are reasonably good close ups. Mind you I've only been playing with mine for a week or so, but I was able to take a picture of my watch face from an inch or so away and got a very clear shot that filled the 640x480 picture.

Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 10:50 am    

Jon; is this close enough for you? Used my Mavica FD-83 in low light with no special lenses or adapters. Regards, -Dave

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 10:51 am    

Quote:
I admit, though, that I'm basically an illiterate when it comes to the optical specs like the lens . . . I honestly don't know what this means in the real world but I'm hoping that I can get some reasonable close-up detail of some of my luthier crafting.

You should have no problems. Presumably, you can always move the camera closer to your work for more detail, further away to show more of the work (in less detail).

Telephoto lenses are important when you cannot get closer to the subject (eg, concerts, sports, etc). Wide angle lenses are needed when you can't back up to get farther away (eg, indoor pics, limited range due to flash, etc). Zooms are nice when you want to be lazy (not switch lenses), and/or are not capable of moving (eg, concert pics). Zooms make getting the composition you want easier (since you don't have to move your physical position to do it).

The only practical difficulty you might have is if you need to get closer than your minimum focusing distance. I'm not sure what that distance is on the Mavica's (probably changes with focal length). The specs should be available at Sony's site.

If that's a problem, you can always get a close-up (or macro) lens attachment from either Sony or Tiffen. They're not that expensive ($50 +/-).

Typically, the smaller the zoom ratio (3x is fairly small), the closer your minimum focusing distance will be. For you, this is a plus. You need the close-focusing distance, but probably don't need much of a zoom range.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 10:54 am    

Quote:
From your enthusiasm I take it you think those are pretty good prices?!?

They were less than I had expected. I believe the ones for my Olympus retailed at least 50% higher. I got mine on Ebay, though, as a package deal (telephoto, wide angle, macro, and flash) from an amateur photographer who was giving up her IS-3 system. I already had the camera. Her deal on Ebay (for the camera, bag, and accessories) fell through, and I was able to make a good deal for the parts I wanted.

------------------

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 10:55 am    

Quote:
Jon; is this close enough for you? Used my Mavica FD-83 in low light with no special lenses or adapters.

Thanks, Dave.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

------------------

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 11:04 am    

Bingo! I'm in business!
Reminds me. I still want to find some Golden Gate thumbpicks.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 5:36 pm    

Bill,
It shots two different sizes,
640X480 OR 1024X760
Not sure how many shots you get never have counted..

------------------
http://www.driveway.com/bin/share.jsp?sid=801d5dd6.4caf6

http://communities.msn.com/steelman/homepage

Sierra S-12 9&7