The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More Digital Camera Questions
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2000 1:45 pm    

I'm leaning towards buying a camera and I'm looking at an Olympus D460Z. (optical+digital zoom, a decent looking package, $399)
Anyone have anything to say about this in particular or Olympus in general?

My biggest source of confusion is the computer interface. This has a serial interface and I can't figure out if I have this or not! I'm running Win95 on a Gateway P166 (nearly obsolete, I know, I know). Can someone help me decipher what I have here?
I do have a USB port but I get the impression that it is only functional with Win98 (I'm not sure why I think that but it seems to me I've encountered something or other a while ago that had that specification).
I am also considering an optional Smartmedia-to-floppy disc interface but I'm confused as to whether that would mean I don't need to worry about a serial port or is it something else--do I sound confused enough?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2000 2:19 pm    

Jon, if you have a "COM" port then you have a "serial" port. And most computers come with at least one Communications (serial) Port and one Printer (parallel) port.

It is usually a 25 pin RS232C connector on the back of the PC. However, some of the older ones used a 9 pin plug.

You are correct, WIN95 does not support USB. I don't know if you can get third party add on software that will support it or not.

I can't answer the Digital Camera questions.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2000 2:40 pm    

Thanks Jack. That gives me a start into figuring out what's what.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2000 3:51 pm    

Jon,

Olympus makes very nice digital cameras. I'm not familiar with that particular model, so I can't comment on it.

Yes, you have a serial port. Most devices that use USB require Windows 98, but not all. For instance, my HP Photosmart S20 film scanner would work on Windows 95.

You will DEFINITELY want the smartmedia to floppy adapter, if you go with this camera. The serial interface is very slow. This adapter lets you insert the smartmedia card (where the JPG images are stored by the camera) into an adapter that looks like a floppy disk. You insert that into the floppy drive, and read the images just like you would from a floppy. I think you'll have to install a driver to do this, but I'm not positive.

One problem with using an Olympus, though, is the smartmedia card. Most other digital cameras use another format, which is cheaper, and is available in larger capacity. Even Olympus, on its latest cameras, allows the use of either format for storage. I think it would be a mistake to go with smartmedia.

One camera that I recommend you look at is the Mavica line by Sony, for several reasons. One, it uses floppies to store images, and floppies are abundant and cheap. It's almost like free film. Two, because the cameras are somewhat larger than others, they use larger batteries (similar to those on camcorders). This makes a HUGE difference in the number of pictures you can take before having to recharge your batteries.

Trust me, you will want to own stock in EveryReady or DuraCell if you buy any other digital camera.

What exactly are you planning to use the digital camera for? Make sure you have enough resolution for your intended use. If it's just to put pictures on the web, a 1 Mpixel camera is just fine.

If you're planning on making 8x10 prints, however, you'll want one of the newer 3.3 Mpixel cameras. Sony is just about to introduce a brand new Mavica (based on the FD-95) which writes to CD-R (slightly smaller than normal discs, though). The improved capacity would be a great benefit. MSRP of about $1300.

If you really want to do lots of 8x10's, though, you should strongly consider a 35mm SLR and a film scanner (like the HP Photosmart S20). You'll get better results that way (though it takes more effort). However, the 3.3 Mpixel cameras do result in pretty darned good 8x10 prints.

The pictures on my site (below) were taken with 35mm SLR cameras, and scanned on my film scanner. They have been highly compressed, and shrunk by a factor of 36x (6x in each dimension) to make them load quickly on the web. For web display only, what I've used for those pics is overkill.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2000 4:37 pm    

Super response, David! Thanks.

My interest is 100% for online use. I have an ok SLR 35mm camera for standard print purposes. My requirements will be for the camera to be able to show detail (e.g. multiple ply bindings on a guitar I am building) as well as standard camera stuff. But as this is not for professional purposes my budget is very limited as to what I can justify to myself. That is why this Olympus looks real good to me.
I will probably get a NiMH battery & charger package to address the battery life issue although I would expect to get less life per charge than I would with disposables.
But it is really all coming down to $$. The Mavica looks great but it's out of my league (unless I can string it up and play it too).
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2000 5:09 pm    

OK, Jon.

Now that I know your needs, I can comment a little more.

The Olympus you mention will be fine. But, you will want that floppy adapter, which adds $100 to the cost.

Note: all prices are from a place called CyberOne (or [url=http://www.compncam.com).]www.compncam.com).[/url] I've never used them, so I can't comment on them. They do have great prices, though. They are out of NY, so they may be selling what's known as "grey market" cameras (no US warranty).

You can get the Olympus for only $300.00 there:
http://www.compncam.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_ Code=C&Product_Code=OLD460Z&Category_Code=DGOL

The floppy adapter is another $100 here:
http://www.compncam.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=C&Category_Co de=ACDGFDA

Take a look at this Mavica FD-73 for only $358 here:
http://www.compncam.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=C&Product_Co de=SNMVCFD73

I would recommend the Sony (no, I don't have a vested interest, and don't even own their stock) for these reasons:

1) it's cheaper
2) longer battery life (you WILL appreciate it)
3) though the resolution is only 640x480, that's OK, because you probably won't use any resolution higher than that on a webpage anyway
4) it has a 10x optical zoom. This is important, because it allows you to get extreme closeups, and actually makes up for the lower resolution (unless you're doing wide-angle shots).
5) it uses floppies. This will allow you to carry LOTS of spare "film", so you don't have to lug your computer around, and download everytime you fill up the compact flash card.

Many "purists" scoff at the Mavicas, but Sony has 30 - 40% of the digital market, and I think they have it for a reason. The typical consumer wants something easy to use, and the Mavica has that in spades. For a "pro", it's not a very good camera. For the average consumer, it's about the best.

PS: you can check prices of many computer items here: www.pricescan.com

Beware of high shipping charges from some of the apparent "low price" leaders. And make sure you're comparing apples to apples (US warranty vs intnt'l warranty).

Personally, for $100 savings, I'd give up the US warranty. But that's your decision.

------------------

[This message was edited by David Pennybaker on 11 August 2000 at 06:11 PM.]

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2000 7:59 pm    

Hello Jon;
I just wanted to say that I recently went thru exactly what you are going thru now..Decisions;Decisions!!! Sometimes I am beginning to think this internet thing ia also a curse..Now we are OVERLOADED with information on any subject you choose & all at your fingertips..
David is telling you right on everything he says about the Sony..I had to wait a while longer to afford it but it was WELL worth the wait!!..The Sony is VERY easy to use & takes GREAT pic's..I do not even have a program on my computer for any pic's yet I can put the floppy in & you won't believe what you see!!..I emailed a few pic's of an amp I had for sale to a guy & he was MORE interested in what kind of camera I was using than my amp!!!...Later...Ron

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2000 8:27 pm    

quote:
Sometimes I am beginning to think this internet thing ia also a curse..Now we are OVERLOADED with information on any subject you choose & all at your fingertips..

Ain't that the truth, Ron? Especially if you search through many old newsgroup listings (using something like [url=http://www.deja.com).]www.deja.com).[/url]

You can find info on just about ANYTHING on the net today. And if it's a common item (like a digital camera), you can spend an eternity wading through all the info and BS out there.

Some of this stuff (Canon vs. Nikon, PC vs. Mac) verges on a "holy war". Yet, if you read enough messages, you can finally begin to see what the issues are, at least.

I tend to research stuff to death on the internet before I buy. It's half the fun. That's certainly what I did here before choosing a guitar.

Another option (for Jon): I have an old Ricoh RDC-1 digital camera that I'd sell (with accessories) for $200. The main drawback is the batteries. They're not standard. You have to order them from Ricoh (or a dealer). I have the original set, plus another set I bought (but never used).

It also requires you to use the serial port for downloading the pictures (there is no floppy adapter option).

I bought it (on an auction) about 2 years ago. I think I paid $800 for it, plus $100 for batteries and a case.

It only has a 2 or 3x zoom on it (3x, I think). The LCD screen is a separate unit, allowing you to carry only the camera if you wish. With just the camera, it looks very similar in shape and size to some of the old 110-cameras from Kodak.

If you're on a really tight budget, and won't be using it a whole lot, it's probably worth a look. Otherwise, I can't really recommend it.

(I'd make a lousy salesman. )

------------------

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2000 8:40 am    

I'm back. Yeah, Ron. The overload can get paralyzing. Ah, for the good old days when you just went out and bought something without having a clue. But there's no excuse anymore for not being well informed. Before you realize it you are doing side-by-side comparisons to see which camera has the longer strap.

David--again, thanks for good info. I'll decline your offer on the Ricoh. And yes, you could use a few lesson in salesmanship--repeat after me: "this camera isyou. What will it take for you to drive home this camera today? Let me talk to my manager."

I'm a bit leery of online grey market dealers but I'm going to have to decide whether I'm $100 leery--it's a significant savings but am I comfortable buying electronics from someone who whispers "pssst...wanna buy a watch?" from an alleyway? And I'm starting to wonder if I may in the future want adequate resolution for printing out photos, in spite of what I have previously stated.
Not to mention I woke up with a toothache and the question in my head --"why do need this thing again"?
Think I'll just stay here and drink.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2000 9:21 am    

Quote:
And yes, you could use a few lesson in salesmanship

LOL -- well, selling something like that to somebody I (sorta) know, without revealing all the pertinent info . . . I just can't do that.

Quote:
but am I comfortable buying electronics from someone who whispers "pssst...wanna buy a watch?" from an alleyway?

It's not quite that bad, really. The cameras and lenses that are sold grey market are made in the same factories. They aren't "seconds", or culled in any way. They just come without US warranties. An honorable store (like [url=http://www.bhphotovideo.com)]www.bhphotovideo.com)[/url] will offer it's own warranty (no charge, same length) should a problem arise.

Quote:
And I'm starting to wonder if I may in the future want adequate resolution for printing out photos, in spite of what I have previously stated.

Then let me offer you some more advice. Get the HP Photosmart S20x film/negative/slide scanner. You'll need USB, but it does work on Windows 95 (I've tested this).

You can get it here (amazing, the same price I paid):
http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10059473&loc=101

The disadvantages to this is that it takes time and effort to scan the film and get the results you want. Plus, you can't see the results immediately (as with a digital camera).

Another option is just to use an existing flatbed scanner to scan the prints from a 35mm camera.

Decisions, decisions. And don't forget: no matter WHICH camera you buy, it'll be less expensive tomorrow, won't be available next year, and 2 years from now it'll be antiquated completely.

------------------

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2000 9:29 am    

Quote:
And I'm starting to wonder if I may in the future want adequate resolution for printing out photos, in spite of what I have previously stated.

Oh, and if you're serious about printing out photos (and I mean photo-quality), let me say two words: Epson 870

With a 35mm camera, film scanner, that printer, and the premium glossy photo paper, you CANNOT tell an 8x10 print from one done at the lab. At least not without a loupe (and who looks at them with loupes?).

I am NOT exagerrating. And the best part (or worst, depending on your point of view), is that I now have complete control over the color-balance, cropping, etc. for my 8x10 prints.

Just to show you what that HP film scanner can do, here's links to a picture I took and scanned. It's at full resolution. It is NOT the entire frame (it's highly cropped), just to make downloads quick.
http://members.delphi.com/dpennybaker/sharp.jpg

------------------

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2000 6:20 am    

Buddy suggested I get a Nikon Coolpix 800 because of the price and the pixel count. It was in my price range, (around $500), and has a 2.11 mega pixels count. He told me that the higher the pixel number the less chance that your images will have jagged lines. He said to get the pixel count as high as you can afford.
BTW: I did get it and it takes great pictures. One tip about it: Get a bigger memory card. Standard images are pretty big. You can change some of the settings, but the best images are made with the standard settings. Then use Hot Shots, the image editing program that comes with the camera, to downsize the image.
This may sound pretty basic, but at the moment, I'm just learning about digital cameras, as well. I guess you can update the cameras software on line, too.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2000 6:45 am    

When I went looking for a digital camera last year, I saw a book at my local Best Buy that had samples from all the digital cameras they sold. The interesting part was that all the photos were the same shot, done at the best resolution available from the cameras, and printed from the same printer on identical paper. Probably as close as you can come to comparing apples with apples.

The end result, to my eyes, was the Kodak had the best resolution for the price. At $300 or so it was not equaled or bettered until you reached the higher end Sonys (around $800 then).

You might drop by your local Best Buy and see if they still have that book. Might help you decide from a quality vs price stand point.

My DC-210 from Kodak has a serial interface, and yes, it does take way too long to download, but it does take nice photos, and the battery life sucks (fortunately it uses 4xAA), so if I am going out for the day to take photos, I always load up a new set or take a new set with me.

jdg

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2000 12:22 pm    

I use a Sony Mavica FD-73 at work. I can't say enough about the 10X zoom, the disk file portability and the battery life. I do however, have a problem with the 640x480 resolution. It leaves something to be desired, even on web photographs.

Bill

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2000 8:08 pm    

I use Sony Mavica FD-91 I love it The use of floppy's really makes it easy to work with
The battery life is the best I've sceen.......
------------------
http://www.driveway.com/bin/share.jsp?sid=801d5dd6.4caf6

http://communities.msn.com/steelman/homepage

Sierra S-12 9&7

[This message was edited by David Wright on 14 August 2000 at 09:10 PM.]

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 6:29 am    

David,

What's the resolution of the FD-91? How many shots can you get on one floppy?

Bill

Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 7:09 am    

I too bought a Mavica, because of the floppy disk storage. Very Very Very convenient although it makes for a larger camera than others. Still, the notion of just popping out the floppy and popping it into your computer makes it easy for anyone to use. When I was at a school event a few months ago, I snapped a few shots with the Mavica, then popped the disk out and handed it to the PTA president for the schools web site. Try that trick with any other camera. Regards, -Dave

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 7:10 am    

I just looked up the FD91--1024 x 768
It has 13X optical zoom--it's an impressive looking unit but it does cost--best price I'm seeing is over $800.
However the Mavica FD85 has caught my attention. This looks like a hot camera. Amazon.com, of all people, has it for $599.
(BTW--they have the Nikon Coolpix 800 for $415 after rebate).

I was still leaning toward the Olympus with the floppy adapter and a battery charger but now this Mavica85 has it all (including battery charger) for a bit more $$ but all-in-one. Not only does it have the floppy disc as a great computer interface but it also simplifies onboard storage in the field.

I have decided that I'm only going to deal with dealers that I am familiar with--no grey market unknowns, even though this will cost me.

This thread has been awesomely helpful. To one and all, thanks.

And keep it going if there's more to be said.

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 7:28 am    

Jon,

The FD85 is a good choice. Just be sure you're aware that it's "only" a 3x optical zoom. That's probably equivalent to about a 35-105, or 40-120 zoom in 35mm format. A very useful range for most applications.

------------------

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 7:42 am    

So far I'm very happy with my Mavica FD-73. I saw an ad in the Sunday paper where someone, Best Buy maybe, was selling it for $499. The FD-91 sounds even better if/when the price comes down.

Has anyone found a decent set of lenses to add to a Mavica with 37 mm thread? I have a nice wide angle and telephoto for my Canon AE-1 but the thread size is bigger plus they have a little lever that connects to the camera when you attach it. Is there an adapter to make those lenses work with my Mavica?

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 8:28 am    

Quote:
Has anyone found a decent set of lenses to add to a Mavica with 37 mm thread? I have a nice wide angle and telephoto for my Canon AE-1 but the thread size is bigger plus they have a little lever that connects to the camera when you attach it. Is there an adapter to make those lenses work with my Mavica?

You're not going to find any lenses for a Mavica. The lens is already built-in. At best, you'd find a wide-angle or telephoto adapter -- something that reduces or increasese the focal length of the existing lens -- basically another lens (without shutter/aperture) that would mount in front of the existing lens.

As far as I know, no such beast exists for the Mavica.

Canon is planning on introducing a digital SLR body this fall. But, it's price will be something like $3,000. It will be a 3.3 Mpixel, I believe. That price is JUST for the body, without any lenses. But your existing EF lenses (for the AE-1) will work with it. Kinda steep, IMHO.

Olympus does make a set of lens attachements (wide angle and telephoto) for it's IS-series of cameras. With a set of step-up rings, these might work on a Mavica. You'd have to check to make sure there are no problems introduced in focusing ability and/or vignetting, though.

------------------

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 9:22 am    

I found these lenses by Tiffen: http://www.tiffen.com/digital_sony%20_mavica.htm but haven't been able to find any prices. Anyone have any experience with them?

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 9:36 am    

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with them?

Nice job finding those. No, I haven't tested them. A quick search of newgroups didn't reveal much info, either.

I see no reason why they shouldn't work. Any good camera store (try CameraWorld of Oregon [url=http://www.cameraworld.com)]www.cameraworld.com)[/url] should be able to order them directly from Tiffen for you, though.

Based on my experience with my Olympus IS-3 and it's similar lens attachments, be aware of one potential problem:

The telephoto adapter may vignette if you're not zoomed completely out on the camera. Here's an example

Sorry, the link wouldn't work (Terms of Service doesn't allow direct link).

Go to my website (use link below). Find the concert in Fairlea, WV. Go to Roll #4, and click on picture #3. There are many other examples of vignetting at this particular concert, too.

Use the telphoto adapter ONLY when you're zoomed completely out on the camera. Don't make the mistake (like I did at this concert) of leaving the adapter on, and using the zoom at the same time.

------------------

[This message was edited by David Pennybaker on 15 August 2000 at 10:37 AM.]

[This message was edited by David Pennybaker on 15 August 2000 at 10:40 AM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 9:48 am    

That's good info David. Thanks!

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2000 10:19 am    

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400215870&ed=965943434

Wow! The 0.5x and 1.5x adapters sold on Ebay recently for only $51.03

None are being offered for sale right now, though.

Here's a link that has a telephoto Tiffen 2x lens.
http://www.normancamera.com/shop/searchresults.asp?ProdManList=ALL&ProdTypeList=Digital%2FLenses

I don't know if it's the one for the Mavica or not. And it's only $69.95

They have a Sony wide-angle lens adapter, too. (price not specified)

------------------