The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Inexpensive digital camera for Windows 2000?
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2000 4:28 pm    

I'm looking for a "cheap" digital camera, something with around 640x480 resolution and an LCD screen for under $200. So far the only ones I've found use a serial connection but nothing I've found has Win2K drivers. Any suggestions?

Steve B

Garland Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2000 9:00 pm    

One thing you might try it installing a "wincast tv" card in your computer. This card not only lets you watch TV in your computer, but you can hook your video camera to the computer & capture stills (live or from tape). You can find these cards on ebay for $20-$50. Or take a look at www.hauppauge.com

[This message was edited by Steve B on 29 July 2000 at 10:01 PM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2000 9:41 am    

Thanks Steve, but I'm not interested in watching TV on my computer, and I don't have a video camera. I'm just looking for something to take some digital pictures to send over the internet, to show pictures of equipment I have for sale, and also to snap some pictures at steel shows. The LCD is good for checking the picture after it's taken to be sure I want to keep it.

Bill Findlay

Baytown, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2000 11:29 am    

Two other approaches you can take is to take regular photos with a camera and have them put on 3.5 Inch disks, when processed, that can be loaded into your computer. Also a scanner can be installed for around $150.00, in which you can scan any photos or text directly into your computer as files that can be sent over the internet. Both approcahes are cheaper than a Digital Camera.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2000 3:05 pm    

I have a scanner with which I can and do scan photos, etc. I'm looking for something to bypass the waiting to finish a roll of film, getting them developed, and then the pictures not looking like what I thought.

I stopped at Circuit City today and the salesman suggested looking at manufacturers' web sites to see which cameras have Windows 2000 drivers. He didn't know which ones did.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2000 4:01 pm    

Thanks Russ, but as I said before, I don't have a video camera or camcorder. I'll read the rest of those posts though and see if I can dig through the manufacturers' web sites for Windows 2000 compatability.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2000 8:22 am    

Hi Jim, I have a Magic Image 500 digital camera that my Son got for me for Fathers day. It works real good and has a memory card you put in it.
I have Windows 98, but I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible with Windows 2000.
My daughter-in-law got one for $49.95, but mine was over $100. with flash and the memory card, which you can save when it is full and put in a new card.
But you can save them on your hard drive too, then delete them from the camera. I agree with you that is the way to go, I wonder what is going to happen to the companies that sell and develope films????? that has always been a hassel. I'll probably never buy another roll of film again....al

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2000 12:05 pm    

I didn't understand what the big deal was with your Win2000 requirements, Jim, but I did a little research and I can't find a single lower end camera that's compatible. I see your problem. Bummer.
Happy to help. Bye.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2000 12:21 pm    

Thanks Al. Although the Magic Image doesn't have an LCD screen, it does seem that it would do want I want, and the price is certainly right! However, even though their web site: http://www.iomagic.com states that they support Windows NT4, and their driver page has a slot for Windows 2000 drivers, they don't have any available for either OS for any of their cameras.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2000 2:25 pm    

Win2K is a commercial operating system. Thus the price (within reason) would not be an issue. However, most cameras are targeted to the consumer market which is supported by WIN98. Compaq does not even cetify or support NT4 or WIN2K on my Presario as, again, the Presario line is targeted for the consumers even tho many are used in business.

Unfortunately looks like you'll have to look at the commercial grade cameras for WIN2K support. A scanner would be a less expensive option. I know the digital camera and the instant pictures are great but if you don't want to spend the $$ on a commercial grade digital camera, that may be the best alternative.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2000 4:24 pm    

You're probably right Jack. I guess the easiest (read cheapest) thing to do is to install an old copy of 95 or 98 on my machine and boot into that when I want to transfer pictures.

John Fabian

Mesquite, Texas USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2000 2:19 am    

If the camera uses "digital film" (removable memory), you can transfer the pix using "drag and drop" with a PCMCIA slot(standard on most laptops) or card reader(<$90) and memory card adapter (about $20). This is a lot faster than serial transfer.

This feature should be supported by W2K.

John Fabian

[This message was edited by John Fabian on 01 August 2000 at 04:11 AM.]

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2000 8:30 am    

I second what John said - I'd completely forgotten about that option. If you stay with one of the major camera manufacturers, then you should be fine. They will all have W2K drivers "real soon now".

jdg

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2000 6:40 pm    

Thanks to my buddy Charlie Owens, I'm now the proud owner of a Sony Mavica FD 73! It uses a regular 3.5" floppy, has a 10X zoom, LCD screen, rechargable battery, and has already taken some of the best steel guitar show pictures ever shot!

Thanks Charlie!!!

Lock this one up if you wish.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2000 7:33 pm    

Hi Jim, it looks like you got a good one, just like you wanted. Happy days!...al

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2000 8:51 am    

I was going to recommend the Mavica, but it looks like somebody beat me to it. For what you wanted, it's the perfect choice.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm