The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about Cool Edit 2000 (wavs)
Neil Flanz

Austin, Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2000 1:14 pm    

Hello Forumites into recording and sending out sound wavs using Cool Edit 2000 software to record with.

Has any forumite out there any experience recording wavs with this new software product I just bought?

I find that although when I playback in Winamp or G2rm it shows that I am playing back in stereo. However, there is only one wav pattern shown above the center line after recording, whereas on the 12 second demo that plays when you first download, on the 12 seconds of music they play in the (au) format it shows two wav patterns. One above, and the other below the center or 0 line.

Their technical support dept. suggested clicking on the center line right after I hit the record button. It doesn't change a thing. When I check the analyze wav form, it shows two different wavs in two different colors and the readouts for left and right channels are different.This would seem to indicate stereo. I'm puzzled. I also ordered and paid for cddax (CD-DA) compression software (decoding and encoding) which is taking forever for them to e-mail me the key to unlock it. Any ideas on free trial compression software I can try until the key to unlock it arrives? I'm trying to send files as e-mail attachments that sound decent but are small as I want to send them to a select few friends and don't want the entire internet to have access to them as in Napster, MP3 and others. Congress is already discussing ways of going after the individuals who send their music into these companies and go beyond sharing their music with a few friends.Have been experimenting sampling at different kbps ranging from 11125 to around 41000 and using 16 bits.If any one has any ideas I sure would appreciate them.At least two Forumites have made suggestions. I'm open to more opinions from anyone who has used Cool Edit.Thanks a lot. Sincerely, Neil

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2000 2:09 pm    

Neil, I'm moving this to the computer forum.

Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2000 6:23 am    

Hi Neil. This might be a long shot, and I of course don't know exactly what your screen looks like, but check Options/Settings/General and make sure the box marked "Show center line on top" is NOT checked. I believe CE2K defaults to two channels (L&R) in the main view, so your situation is as if you changed the defaults? You should see one wav pattern above the center line, and one below it.